Maximum room occupancy

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All,

I am planning to travel from Denver to LA this summer. This will be my first train experience.
I am planning to take sleeper but during booking it is adding 2 sleeper rooms but I wont be using other room as my son is just 5 years old and he will sleep with one of us, can’t i just take 1 sleeper instead of 2 to save some money. I will really appreciate if anyone can suggest the best possible booking.

Thanks

Roomettes have the capacity of two people, the beds are bunk style and very narrow.

A bedroom can and does sleep three. You might need to book thur a live person to make this happen.

A family bedroom available on Superliner equipped trains such as the ones your taken can fit your group.

So I would think your trying to book a roomette, which is not designed for a party of 3, that why it’s try to give you two rooms. Check the price points for the larger room, and if necessary call Amtrak to book one.

The website will only book for the recommended occupancy, not the maximum occupancy. The max occupancy for a roomette may be 2 adults and a child (I am not sure, but seem to recall that it is). Even if it is, you cannot book it online. Only a live agent can book that.

It will be very cramped if you can book it. A Family Bedroom is designed for your situation and is a better option. You should be able to book a Family Bedroom online for 2 adults and a child if one is available. Note there is only one per car, so there are typically only two per train.

The website will only book for the recommended occupancy, not the maximum occupancy. The max occupancy for a roomette may be 2 adults and a child (I am not sure, but seem to recall that it is). Even if it is, you cannot book it online. Only a live agent can book that.

If the chart posted by Ryan is to be believed (see: Coach passengers in sleeping car rooms? ), 2 children and 1 adult in a roomette is allowed, but 2 adults and 1 child is not.

Roomettes have the capacity of two people, the beds are bunk style and very narrow.

A bedroom can and does sleep three. You might need to book thur a live person to make this happen.

A family bedroom available on Superliner equipped trains such as the ones your taken can fit your group.

So I would think your trying to book a roomette, which is not designed for a party of 3, that why it’s try to give you two rooms. Check the price points for the larger room, and if necessary call Amtrak to book one.
Checking numerous days this summer, the CZ appears to be sold out on bedrooms or down to 1, so Roomettes are the only option that comes up, if anything.

But as you said yourself, booking 3 in a bedroom will probably require an agent, so I would think that even if selecting a bedroom, the web site would look for 2 rooms, not 1. Definitely worth a call or a visit to a station ticket office.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your valuable inputs. I will check with station ticket office
One more thing: You may find that even when a bedroom is available, it may cost more than 2 Roomettes. If they are available, an agent can help you get 2 Roomettes directly across the hall from one another. During the day, you can all squeeze into one of them, or split up and try leaving the doors and curtains open (but be careful, doors may slam shut from train movement.)

And in case you didn't know, bedrooms have a private bathroom with shower; Roomettes do not.

One more thing: You may find that even when a bedroom is available, it may cost more than 2 Roomettes. If they are available, an agent can help you get 2 Roomettes directly across the hall from one another. During the day, you can all squeeze into one of them, or split up and try leaving the doors and curtains open (but be careful, doors may slam shut from train movement.)

And in case you didn't know, bedrooms have a private bathroom with shower; Roomettes do not.
Thank you, this is really helpful..I see a bedroom is available for $1100 around August but 2 roomettes is costing me $1600

Back