Meal Schedule on Northbound Silver Meteor

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings,

We have a roomette on the northbound Silver Meteor New Year's Eve (yes, I know that's a long time from now, but I'm a compulsive planner lol), boarding in Winter Park, FL at 2:02 pm, and departing at Washington Union Station at 7:07 am. I'm curious if, given when we will be boarding and departing, we should plan on being served lunch and breakfast on the train? I'm thinking that with breakfast we can ask the attendant to serve us in our sleeper car (as I recall, breakfast is first come, first serve, beginning at 6:30?). Should we plan on eating lunch before boarding the train? (there are worst places than Winter Park to have to grab a bite to eat). Any feedback/suggestions would be most appreciated :D Thanks!

I generally board the Meteor in Orlando and nine times out of ten, I am served lunch. If the train is considerably late, then you will miss lunch. I seem to recall having lunch as late as 2:30 when boarding in Orlando.

As far as breakfast the next morning, it will depend on whether the train is early. If the train is early into WAS, then the diner will not open at 6:30 and they will serve breakfast after WAS. I have missed breakfast a couple of times when arriving in WAS early.

Thanks pennyk. I guess we'll have to be flexible--perhaps get to the station in Winter Park 90 minutes or so early and try to find out if the train is running on time (or close to it). As for breakfast, hopefully if I request that we be served our breakfast in our car at least the attendant can give us a heads up the next morning if we are early and will miss breakfast. I can be flexible, but my wife has diabetes and it's a little tougher for her when she can't plan for meals. Again, thanks!

If you are too early into WAS for Breakfast on the train, there are several places for Breakfast in Union Station including the Food Court in the basement. Plenty of places around Union Station and the Capitol also, but they are pricey in this expense account City!

You can use track a train, train status maps or call Julie to check on the OTP of the Meteor as it comes up from Miami! No point in being too early to the Station ( just 45 minutes before if you are checking baggage)since you're in a Sleeper!

As Penny said, unless it's running really late, you should get Lunch in the Diner when you board in Beautiful Winter Park!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Jim and Seaboard. We've done this trip several times but I don't recall that we boarded so close to the end of lunch and disembarked so close to the beginning of breakfast (the last time was several years ago--perhaps we were on the Silver Star?). I appreciate your suggestions and advice.

You're most welcome! Could have been the old Silver Palm or the Star as you said!

And keep in mind the Star currently doesn't have a Diner in the consist as part of a bean counter "expieriment", only a Cafe/Lounge Car, so riding the Star LD is not a pleasant thought to most!

jim: Thanks! Yes, I saw that they've discontinued the "meals included" aspect of taking the Silver Star. Definitely makes that one a no-go for me and my wife. We are thankful that we booked the Meteor instead.

Seaboard: Thanks! I look to hearing back on your experience.

I believe the Silver Star will eventually be combined into the Silver Meteor with 1 Sleeping Car/Dining Car train between New York and Florida. The Silver Star route between New York and Savannah will be covered by a Palmetto type day train with Coaches, Business Class and Snack Bar serving Raliegh and Columbia.

I believe the Silver Star will eventually be combined into the Silver Meteor with 1 Sleeping Car/Dining Car train between New York and Florida. The Silver Star route between New York and Savannah will be covered by a Palmetto type day train with Coaches, Business Class and Snack Bar serving Raliegh and Columbia.
And the basis for your belief is?

Today's 98 arrived in WAS 1 minute early at 7:06am. Dining car opened at 6:30. I don't think any of the WAS passengers got a sit down breakfast. One passenger got her breakfast to go and the crew was not pleasant to her.

I ate my breakfast during the engine change. I detrained in PHL.

Today's 98 arrived in WAS 1 minute early at 7:06am. Dining car opened at 6:30. I don't think any of the WAS passengers got a sit down breakfast. One passenger got her breakfast to go and the crew was not pleasant to her.

I am sorry to hear the crew was not pleasant to the person who wanted a "to-go" breakfast, even if her request was unreasonable. I have always found the dining car crew to be efficient but pleasant on the Silvers. While on board, did you hear any talk about people switching to the Meteor from the Star because of no dining car on the Star, or on the other hand, talk of people not caring either way?

Also, welcome! :) If you are still in this area on the weekend, we should have some Florida weather for you--supposed to get into the 90s.

I heard lots of talk about the Star. Most people I spoke with said they would not ride the Star without a dining car.

The Meteor was packed.

What about the OBS Penny? Are the old timers like Leo bidding on the Meteor only?

I sure wouldn't want to work or ride MIA-NYP without a Diner!!

Last edited by a moderator:
We are going Winter Park to Philly in September and I was counting on a sit-down breakfast

I will watch this space to see what else is reported!

What about the OBS Penny? Are the old timers like Leo bidding on the Meteor only?

I sure wouldn't want to work or ride MIA-NYP without a Diner!!
Leo was there although he was not my attendant. He helped out in the dining car during dinner because his help was needed. Leo is no longer working the Star northbound. He switched to the Meteor.

We are going Winter Park to Philly in September and I was counting on a sit-down breakfast

I will watch this space to see what else is reported!
You should be OK if you are going to PHL. The problem is for passengers departing in WAS if the train is early.

Thanks for the update penny. I'm sorry to hear that the passenger who arranged the breakfast to go was not treated very well. It sounds like we may end up just grabbing something to eat at Union Station when we arrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back