Meals on 448

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just on the 449 last Thursday and they also offered a "cold meal service" for the lunch out of Boston.

About an hour out of Boston we were called down to the cafe car where the rear section was setup for lunch for the sleeper passengers only (table clothes, table settings, etc.). So, it was more than just picking something from the cafe menu and sitting there.

The menu for lunch offered 2 selections. I didn't take a photo of the menu, but from memory they were:

Cold Chicken Sandwich - consisted of chicken breast with spinach and Parmesan cheese on a ciabatta bread roll. Side was a chick pea salad.

Cold Asparagus Salad - consisted of a grilled tomato, lettuce, diced cucumbers and asparagus spears.

Dessert consisted of a chocolate brownie with chocolate mousse or strawberry shortcake.

Was traveling with my son, so we selected one of each. The chicken was good, but the roll was not too edible being as cold as the chicken. The salad was pretty good, in my opinion. Unfortunately, if you're traveling with a child they didn't have an option on the menu that was kid-friendly.

I was just on the 449 last Thursday and they also offered a "cold meal service" for the lunch out of Boston.
About an hour out of Boston we were called down to the cafe car where the rear section was setup for lunch for the sleeper passengers only (table clothes, table settings, etc.). So, it was more than just picking something from the cafe menu and sitting there.

The menu for lunch offered 2 selections. I didn't take a photo of the menu, but from memory they were:

Cold Chicken Sandwich - consisted of chicken breast with spinach and Parmesan cheese on a ciabatta bread roll. Side was a chick pea salad.

Cold Asparagus Salad - consisted of a grilled tomato, lettuce, diced cucumbers and asparagus spears.

Dessert consisted of a chocolate brownie with chocolate mousse or strawberry shortcake.

Was traveling with my son, so we selected one of each. The chicken was good, but the roll was not too edible being as cold as the chicken. The salad was pretty good, in my opinion. Unfortunately, if you're traveling with a child they didn't have an option on the menu that was kid-friendly.

Interesting. Was this a Horizon dinette (square, with small windows)? That is definately a good step in the right direction for Boston pax.

cpamtfan-Peter

Interesting. Was this a Horizon dinette (square, with small windows)? That is definately a good step in the right direction for Boston pax.
cpamtfan-Peter
Indeed.

This is similar to the lunch menu on the PPC on the CS, which is also cold.

I would prefer a hot dog and bag of chips myself...

Here's a shot of my son eating the chicken sandwich selection.

img1874r.jpg

I was expecting a box lunch or hot dog from the cafe, so was surprised when the sleeper attendant informed us it would be a sit-down lunch in the rear of the cafe.

I'm a rookie in identifying Amtrak rolling stock. :)

But, I can tell you the diner on the Boston-Albany run was not Amfleet styling like the coaches. I assume that makes it a Heritage?

That car is a Horizon dinette, the rest of the train was Amfleet II LD cars. Thats so wierd that they have tablecloths, silverware, and even Amplates!

cpamtfan-Peter

That car is a Horizon dinette, the rest of the train was Amfleet II LD cars. Thats so wierd that they have tablecloths, silverware, and even Amplates!
cpamtfan-Peter
Yes, it looks much better than the cold breakfast I got on the Empire Builder into Portland (ham and cheese croissant, yoghurt, sliced fruit in a plastic box). I'll be interested in what dinner will be like on the east-bound Boston stub in November.

Last edited by a moderator:
cpamtfan-Peter
Yes, it looks much better than the cold breakfast I got on the Empire Builder into Portland (ham and cheese croissant, yoghurt, sliced fruit in a plastic box). I'll be interested in what dinner will be like on the east-bound Boston stub in November.
Well if the full dining cars are restored to the LSL by then, and there is a good chance that it will happen by then, then dinner would be in the current Diner-Lite car that the LSL uses as its dining car. That should make for a vastly improved dinner on the Boston section.

Well if the full dining cars are restored to the LSL by then, and there is a good chance that it will happen by then, then dinner would be in the current Diner-Lite car that the LSL uses as its dining car. That should make for a vastly improved dinner on the Boston section.
Given that when we booked the trip there wasn't even a sleeper to Boston, things are improving by leaps and bounds on this route.

Mike,

Did they have an extra attendant on hand to serve you? Or did you have to go to the counter to get your meal choice?

Was only the one attendant in the dinette. She handled everything. Setup, waiting our tables and cleanup! Luckily (for her) there wasn't anyone from coach requesting anything from the snack bar at that time.

We did not have to retrieve our meal from the snack bar, she had us sit from the start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back