Meals on Silver Meteor/Siver Star

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be taking the following trains (with Roomette) from Washington to Florida. Assuming (hmmm) the trains are on time can someone tell me exactly which meals I will receive?

1. Silver Star-leaves Washington at 3PM, arrive in Ft. Lauderdale at 5:12PM the next day.

2. Silver Meteor-leaves Miami at 8:40AM, arrive in Washington at 7:46AM the next morning.

Thanks

1. You'll get Dinner, Breakfast, and Lunch. If you are running late, a final Dinner too.
  2. I am not sure if you get Breakfast, but certainly Lunch, Dinner, and a quick Breakfast the next morning.

When we boarded the Silver Meteor (sleeper car) at West Palm Beach at 10:15 in 2007, breakfast was still being served. So, if you're boarding in Miami, I would assume you would get breakfast.

1. You'll get Dinner, Breakfast, and Lunch. If you are running late, a final Dinner too.
  2. I am not sure if you get Breakfast, but certainly Lunch, Dinner, and a quick Breakfast the next morning.
Northbound would not be a quick breakfast! Arrival into WAS is not until 7:46 AM. Breakfast begins at 6:30 and the SM continues to NYP. So unless OP sleeps late, why would it be quick? :huh:

Northbound would not be a quick breakfast! Arrival into WAS is not until 7:46 AM. Breakfast begins at 6:30 and the SM continues to NYP. So unless OP sleeps late, why would it be quick? :huh:

Well, the train could be early.Keep in in mind that once it reaches Alexandria it is already stopping to discharge only. And the crew or the service could be slow in the diner.

On the plus side, the crew may probably be used to people dining before WAS so maybe they make a special effort.

Anyone with experience on this?

UPDATE:

Well I see that the OTP has been poor lately even though it has arrived as early at 7.11 Guess, now,you are pretty safe, sorry to say (as it reflects on the poor punctuality)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been on the Silver Meteor where we are actually running early. A bit of a surprise to wake-up to in the morning. Since by Washington, the train is discharge only, they don't have to wait at stations anymore to loose any time they've gained during the night.

So, if the train is running early, breakfast could very well have to be quick. Get it? :rolleyes:

I have been on the Silver Meteor northbound when it was running late and no breakfast was served. :(

I have been on the Silver Meteor northbound when it was running late and no breakfast was served. :(
No meals at all, for any sleeper passengers, on the second day?
There was no breakfast the first day. I got on in Ft. Lauderdale and the train was late out of Miami, so they decided not to serve breakfast. I was a sleeper passenger and got on before 10am. :angry:

There was no breakfast the first day. I got on in Ft. Lauderdale and the train was late out of Miami, so they decided not to serve breakfast. I was a sleeper passenger and got on before 10am. :angry:
Oh, the first day. I misunderstood. Sorry.

The Silvers don't adjust meal times to match how the train is doing is with its schedule. By 10am, breakfast service is over no matter where the train is.

The Silvers don't adjust meal times to match how the train is doing is with its schedule. By 10am, breakfast service is over no matter where the train is.

Hello,

I plan to take the train "98" between Savannah and Washington DC. I know the meals are included in the price if I book a roomette. But what if the train is late in Savannah (which seems to be usual) , would I still have a chance to have dinner (even if the train arrive after 9:00 pm)? If not is it some kind of compensation for the missed meal?

thanks for your help.

Laurent.

I plan to take the train "98" between Savannah and Washington DC. I know the meals are included in the price if I book a roomette. But what if the train is late in Savannah (which seems to be usual) , would I still have a chance to have dinner (even if the train arrive after 9:00 pm)? If not is it some kind of compensation for the missed meal?
If 98 is very late and you miss dinner, I would contact Customer Service after your trip and notify them what happened. You may very well get some sort of compensation - most likely a voucher for future travel.

Hello,

thanks for your help.

Laurent.
No. You should have your meal before you get to the train. If the train gets late, then there is no obligation on Amtrak's part to provide a meal being the scheduled boarding time is during a meal period. Because of that, with the exception of extreme hardship they will not compensate you for that meal due to your scheduled boarding time taking place during that meal period.

One thing a lot of folks (sleeper passengers) do not seem to realize (which Amtrak actually rarely enforces) is there is no obligation on the part of the carrier to serve you a meal if your scheduled boarding time or scheduled arrival time is within a meal period! Unless it has changed (which I highly doubt it), that was the Amtrak policy during my tenure there.

So not to sound negative, but use a little common sense and eat the appropriate meal before you start your travel as you would using any other mode of transportation! I always have a meal before I start any kind of longer distance travel!

OBS gone freight...

If 98 is very late and you miss dinner, I would contact Customer Service after your trip and notify them what happened. You may very well get some sort of compensation - most likely a voucher for future travel.
That is definitely a good option to try, but the train would have to very late, say around four hours behind or later. Three may cut it, but four should do it. But in any event, squeak away because you'll get the grease, WD40, etc a lot quicker if you do so.... :cool:

OBS gone freight...

That is definitely a good option to try, but the train would have to very late, say around four hours behind or later. Three may cut it, but four should do it. But in any event, squeak away because you'll get the grease, WD40, etc a lot quicker if you do so.... :cool:

OBS gone freight...
Thanks for your help. Does any of you know if there is public transportation between Savannah Amtrak Station and the historical center?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back