Meals on the Silver Meteor

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Railroad Bill

Buckeye Train Watcher
AU Supporting Member
I may have missed this answer on a previous post so sorry if this has already been answered :rolleyes:

When we board the Silver Meteor in DC at 7:30 PM, will supper already have been concluded? I suspect we should plan on eating before we board but wanted to check :unsure:

Also when we travel between Orlando and Miami, will supper be served on that leg as well?

Also will be boarding northbound Meteor in Orlando at 1:45. Will lunch be over by that time. I assume yes if the train is late??

Thanks again for all the help

I may have missed this answer on a previous post so sorry if this has already been answered :rolleyes:

When we board the Silver Meteor in DC at 7:30 PM, will supper already have been concluded? I suspect we should plan on eating before we board but wanted to check :unsure:
When I took that train I got dinner out of DC. We debarked in Savannah, so I can't answer the other questions.

You will get dinner out of DC.

Lunch out of Orlando however I would not count on. You might get it, especially if the train is on time, but again I wouldn't plan on it.

Hi Bill,

Yes, you will get dinner on the southbound Silver Meteor out of WAS. I have taken that train many times and it was never late enough where I missed dinner. Often your SCA will make a 7:30, 7:45 or 8:00 dinner reservation for you. If the train is on time, you will board shortly after 7:00.

As many times as I have taken the Silver Meteor, I have never taken it all the way to Miami. I have taken it to Hollywood and dinner was not served. If the train is really late, I do not know if they serve dinner.

There has been only one time that I have taken the SM northbound from Orlando where the train was too late for me to get lunch. In that instance, I was given a voucher to eat lunch at a cafe across the street from the station. The train is usually a few minutes late and I usually eat lunch around 2pm. I generally go to the diner immediately upon boarding. I believe they serve lunch on the northbound Silver Meteor until 3pm.

I will be taking the Meteor all the way to Miami next week so I will have a first-hand answer in about eight days.

Thanks John,

Look forward to your report. :D

Just took the Meteor last week. Yes they serve dinner out of Washington. They serve a late lunch but no dinner Southbound into Miami. They serve a quick breakfast Northbound out of Miami. And no lunch into NY northbound. We were on time the entire roundtrip.

Meteor southbound: Dinner ran through Washington to at least 9PM. Breakfast and lunch only in Florida.

Star northbound: Lunch after Fort Lauderdale (12:30 PM), dinner, breakfast, lunch, and (surprise) a dinner starting in Baltimore (4PM) with limited selections.

There has been only one time that I have taken the SM northbound from Orlando where the train was too late for me to get lunch. In that instance, I was given a voucher to eat lunch at a cafe across the street from the station.
There's a cafe across the street from the Orlando Amtrak station?

One time, I was waiting for a north bound Silver at Orlando, that ended up being 4 hours late. It left Miami 3 hours late, and managed to loose yet another hour by the time it finally reached Orlando.

No one offered us any vouchers? Is this standard procedure? Does one need to yell at the ticket window people enough, that they finally give a voucher just to shut you up?

One time, I was waiting for a north bound Silver at Orlando, that ended up being 4 hours late. It left Miami 3 hours late, and managed to loose yet another hour by the time it finally reached Orlando.

No one offered us any vouchers? Is this standard procedure? Does one need to yell at the ticket window people enough, that they finally give a voucher just to shut you up?

It might depend on the ticket agent. I did not yell or scream, I just asked how late lunch would be served, and after it was determined that I would board the train after they stopped serving lunch and I looked very disappointed, the agent told me to go across the street and spend up to $10 for lunch and Amtrak would pick up the tab. I guess I looked hungry and pitiful. :giggle: I certainly did not yell and scream. Of all the times I have traveled on the Silver Meteor, which is many, only once I did I not get lunch on the train.

There has been only one time that I have taken the SM northbound from Orlando where the train was too late for me to get lunch. In that instance, I was given a voucher to eat lunch at a cafe across the street from the station.
There's a cafe across the street from the Orlando Amtrak station?
There are several small restaurants/cafes (that are open for lunch) across the street from the station.

There are several small restaurants/cafes (that are open for lunch) across the street from the station.
Thanks. I just can't vision any stores or restaurants across the street. My (old, feeble) memory is mostly of industrial buildings around the station. But I am sure you are correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back