Meals TUC-LAX?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gregoryla

Service Attendant
In July we'll be traveling from Tucson to Los Angeles on the Texas Eagle/Sunset. With the new schedule, we depart Tuscon at 7:35 pm and arrive Los Angeles at 5:35 am. Will they still be serving dinner when we board in Tucson? If so, should we ask our attendant when we board to make dinner reservations for us? Any chance that there won't be any available reservations? If the train is running late, what is the latest that we can board and expect to still get dinner?

As for breakfast the next morning, will they be serving even the abbreviated breakfast that early? If they are serving, until what time would they serve?

Thanks to all.

If the train is on time, you should get dinner. Breakfast, on the other hand, is going to be right out.

Tentatively, those traveling in sleepers are supposed to get a boxed breakfast heading into LA...still waiting for a formal announcement about that. And there are multiple food options around 6 a.m. at LA Union Station.

How do things work on the current schedule? I'm going TUS-LAX next month, before the schedule change. The current schedule has the train arrive into TUS at 9:40 PM MST and leave at 10:30. Assuming the train is on time and one boards right at 9:40, I assume that's still way too late for dinner service, right? Would the cafe car still be open that late?

On the current schedule with arrival into LAX at 8:30, do they run a full breakfast service, or just boxed breakfast?

How do things work on the current schedule? I'm going TUS-LAX next month, before the schedule change. The current schedule has the train arrive into TUS at 9:40 PM MST and leave at 10:30. Assuming the train is on time and one boards right at 9:40, I assume that's still way too late for dinner service, right? Would the cafe car still be open that late?

On the current schedule with arrival into LAX at 8:30, do they run a full breakfast service, or just boxed breakfast?
Under the Current Schedule, No Dinner in the Diner Unfortunately! :( And the Cafe Car LSA will be in a hurry to Shutdown after Tucson, depends on the OTP! (Normal Closing time on most LD Trains is 1100-1130PM) since the Next Stop in Maricopa isnt till after Midnight! Breakfast will be a Limited Menu and start Very Early, like 500AM, Close to Palm Springs (depends on the OTP) since the Sunset usually gets into LAX Early and the Crew has to Clean Up and do the Paperwork ASAP since they Don't Get Paid once the Train hits the Bumper @ LAX!

I did the TUS-LAX. trip a year ago (in coach) and the LSA closed basically as we were leaving TUS (he was operating on MDT still). The one call for breakfast was made as we left Palm Springs (they we even annouced the fresh air stop at that station about 4:45) and the LSA reopened the the lounge car I think until we arrived in Ontario. I arrived an hour before catching the 8:30 Surfliner down to San Diego my final destination in Buisiness class enjoying the unlimited cinnamon roles, muffins and coffee for my breakfast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back