Mealtimes on the Lake Shore Limited

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest_JSmith_*

My wife, son, sister, and I are traveling from Buffalo to New York on the Lake Shore Limited in late September. We've got two roomettes across the hall from each other for the day trip - I figured it would be more comfortable on a long trip and provide a bit more privacy and a place to nap for my two-year-old.

So I was wondering what meals are included on this trip, assuming the train runs on time. Obviously, we will get lunch. I'm guessing there's no dinner, given the train arrives at NYP at 6:25? If we board at 8:40 AM, will the diner still be serving breakfast at that time, or should we eat before we leave for the station?

Thanks!

My wife, son, sister, and I are traveling from Buffalo to New York on the Lake Shore Limited in late September. We've got two roomettes across the hall from each other for the day trip - I figured it would be more comfortable on a long trip and provide a bit more privacy and a place to nap for my two-year-old.
So I was wondering what meals are included on this trip, assuming the train runs on time. Obviously, we will get lunch. I'm guessing there's no dinner, given the train arrives at NYP at 6:25? If we board at 8:40 AM, will the diner still be serving breakfast at that time, or should we eat before we leave for the station?

Thanks!
I took the Lake Shore Limited last May from Chicago to Springfield and according to my notes I had breakfast around 7:15/7:30, well before we got to Buffalo. I think the latest it served was 8:30, so your getting breakfast would be contingent on the train being on time. Per this post it doesn't sound like you get a full dinner either. The lounge car was serving by 6 am though.

Its currently in place for a regular diner. The regular, genuine "Heritage" Diners run on the trains to Miami and New Orleans. Currently, there are no surplus cars to run them on the LSL, so Amtrak rebuilt some lounge cars and came up with the current car. The menus doesn't look toatally bad, but if you don't like imitation omelets, etc, then just get the french toast. No dinner is currently served ALB-NYP, so you'll have to find something (and I don't think its really hard in NYC :lol: ) to eat. Also, you may be slower between ALB-NYP due to the trackwork from yesterdays washouts.Don't worry, just enjoy your trip :) !

cpamtfan-Peter

So what's the general consensus? No breakfast at 8:40 AM? The Amtrak site has lunch and dinner times listed, but doesn't indicate when breakfast is typically served.

That's my main question now: should we eat breakfast before we leave for the station or can we hold out for railroad french toast?

So what's the general consensus? No breakfast at 8:40 AM? The Amtrak site has lunch and dinner times listed, but doesn't indicate when breakfast is typically served.
That's my main question now: should we eat breakfast before we leave for the station or can we hold out for railroad french toast?
I don't know if there's a hard policy on this, we boarded the CZ after 9:00am and were offered breakfast last year. But I am also curious what happens boarding at BUF at 8:40am as we'll be doing that in a couple of weeks.

BTW, we keep a handful of trail bars handy in case getting a meal on time is not in the cards.

I don't know if there's a hard policy on this, we boarded the CZ after 9:00am and were offered breakfast last year. But I am also curious what happens boarding at BUF at 8:40am as we'll be doing that in a couple of weeks.

BTW, we keep a handful of trail bars handy in case getting a meal on time is not in the cards.
Maybe theyll serve leftover "Flat Iron mystery meat" or "Beef Stew"! :lol:

I believe breakfast is served until 9-9:30 or so on all trains. But if the train is late and you miss breakfast one can easily grab a bowl of cereal or a egg sandwich in the lounge/cafe car to hold you over until lunch...

You won't be getting dinner, but again one can get a sandwich in the lounge/cafe car to hold one over until you can dine at a restaurant later....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back