Memorable Amtrak Dining Experiences

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My late first wife and I had two Pullman meals on trains in England. One was a dinner from London to Penzance, and I thought the food was cooked off the train. The other was a breakfast from the Shipley to London, and it was my first experience with a full-on English breakfast (apparently until then we had only experienced abbreviated versions). There was bacon, ham, sausage, blood pudding, eggs, a croissant, and maybe a couple mushrooms and a bit of tomato...

When my family took CN's Super Continental from Montreal to Vancouver, meals were not included in our fare and we only had one dinner in the diner. I remember I had roast beef, and you had a choice of "table d'hôte or ala carte."

Last edited:
On most of my Amtrak trips, with the most recent being the Auto Train in January, I have been satisfied with most of my meals in the Dining Car, The ones that were disappointing were often due to a Chef overcooking the food. But, those were not that many. More noticeable has been the decline of the ambiance of having "dinner in the diner". Fresh flowers, tablecloths, real flatware, dishes, and glasses, being replaced, as we all know, with an ambiance more suitable for a fast food restaurant.

The most memorable meals on trains was when the C&NW was operating their 400 trains. Attractive menu covers opened to find a variety of good choices. The entree that I remember the best was a Lake Superior Whitefish entree. Simply delicious as I remember! It was consistently good from one trip to another.

I unfortunately am too young to remember the better diner services in the 90s and 00s. So for me the most memorable ones are ones where the passengers I ate with were entertaining.

1. Southbound Coast Starlight the Sunday after Thanksgiving out of Portland for lunch. I was sat with Sir Paul McCartney's music publisher. We had a super enjoyable six hour discussion about music and were ran out of the diner, and continued in the PPC.

2. Westbound Southwest Chief this January I had breakfast with an Amish couple it was very eyeopening and unique.

3. Northbound Coast Starlight last year at lunch I was sat with all people in my generation who weren't social. I remember that because that meal lasted way too long.

4. Westbound Capitol Limited in 2017. I met my friend Maddy who was traveling to Cleveland for the first time. She was in coach, I was in sleeper. I let her have my dessert because I didn't want it, and she got a free salad from me as well. We then talked from Cumberland to Cleveland the entire night. We still chat occasionally.

Surprisingly I don't remember much remarkable on my home trains the Silver Meteor or Silver Star.

Now if we want to talk about other trains.

1. Royal Canadian Pacific. Even though I didn't like the food very much because I don't like gourmet food, the atmosphere bumps it to the top spot, and the company I was with too.

2. VIA Rail Canadian. I've never had a bad meal on the Canadian but one time we had left over Prime Rib Sandwiches because of a delay and that was incredible. I wan't the prime rib recipe just to make the sandwiches.

3. The times I've been assigned to work in a diner. Even though I didn't have an actual seat to eat, and was eating in the kitchen on my feet that was a thrill. At the end of the day I felt like I had done something, and that diner service door is amazing.

Enough for now I'm drooling and hungry.

Yes, I had the lamb shanks on the Empire Builder in 2006. I can't remember if there was real china or not.

A post on FlyerTalk from a former OBS claimed that there were never fresh flowers on Amtrak; they were always fake.

I should add that a highlight of the Cascades dining car breakfast was seeing a bald eagle on the shore of Puget Sound.

A post on FlyerTalk from a former OBS claimed that there were never fresh flowers on Amtrak; they were always fake

I should add that a highlight of the Cascades dining car breakfast was seeing a bald eagle on the shore of Puget Sound.

I definitely remember real flowers on Amtrak and back to VIA, my first trip on the Canadian passengers were complaining because they had just switched to plastic flowers in the dining car.

Regarding bald eagles- yes I’ve seen bald eagles fishing in the Mississippi River while eating breakfast on the Empire Builder. It doesn’t get better than that!

I certainly think the carnation in the stainless steel vase was real on the Broadway Limited. I love the smell of morning coffee in the diner and the excited chatter that ensues after the first cup!

Remembering the pre Amtrak days... the Huge Idaho Baked Potato on the NP Mainstreeter... and the glitter of china ware and stemware on the Milwaukee Road dining car enroute to Chicago. And the unbelievable observation car!

richards_studio_d776671.porters.en_.jpg

I definitely remember real flowers on Amtrak and back to VIA, my first trip on the Canadian passengers were complaining because they had just switched to plastic flowers in the dining car.

Regarding bald eagles- yes I’ve seen bald eagles fishing in the Mississippi River while eating breakfast on the Empire Builder. It doesn’t get better than that!
I saw plenty of real flowers in the Diners between 1971 and the early 2000s, then plastic took over till removed entirely by the bean counters!

In addition to the Lamb Shank, which I also enjoyed on the Empire Builder, some of my favorite entrees included - Mahi Mahi (I had this several times on the Zephyr, it was consistently good). Pasta with Beechers Cheese Sauce (Beechers is located in Pike place in Seattle). This was served on the Builder and Starlight. Crab Cakes. Served on many east coast trains. These were also consistently excellent. I believe everything I mentioned were part of the “Chef Inspired” entrees.
The "Chef-Inspired" meals sounded comically euphemistic when first announced, and the delay before implementation made me wonder if they'd ever show up, but once they did it was clear somebody knew what they were doing. The flavor and texture were much improved over the uninspired meals and before I knew it I was looking forward to eating in the dining car again. The only problems I noticed were the limited selection and the fact that Amtrak kept running out of stock on hand. Otherwise they were quite enjoyable despite being prepared offline and reheated onboard.

For those that aren’t familiar the PPC offered freshly prepared sandwiches and salads for lunch and 2 hot entrees and a salad option for dinner. The lamb shanks and desserts were amazing. My idea for breakfast would be a freshly made egg sandwich along with a vate of freshly made oatmeal and cold cereals. Simple but good offerings for every meal. The way the PPC did it.
I loved the PPC and enjoyed the (original) wine and cheese tasting but most of the PPC food never really did anything for me. According to my memory the hot meals were overcooked and the PPC sandwiches were made and plated offline and then simply unwrapped for serving. The first giveaway was that they couldn't hold the mayo or mustard. I used to have photos to back this up but they seem to have gone missing after a hosting service changed owners.

A post on FlyerTalk from a former OBS claimed that there were never fresh flowers on Amtrak; they were always fake.
I definitely remember real flowers on Amtrak
I saw plenty of real flowers in the Diners between 1971 and the early 2000s
Add me to the list of people who can confirm the (original) flowers were indeed real. I can't speak to how they were purchased or who paid but they were not always fake. Even plastic flowers were better than what we have today. How much money was saved by throwing them away? Should have left them until they couldn't pass for a flower anymore.

Last edited:
Found this photo from May, 1994, somewhere near Pittsburgh on an eastbound Broadway Limited. We were finishing a cross-country trip, and the Heritage Bedroom was a real disappointment (urine stain on chair, etc) over the Superliner Deluxe Bedroom we had previously been in. But it was a treat to enter the Amfleet diner, with its far superior suspension. As I recall, the food was okay.

IMG_8224.jpeg

Last edited:
Found this photo--somewhere near Pittsburgh on an eastbound Broadway Limited. We were finishing a cross-country trip, and the Heritage Bedroom was a real disappointment (urine stain on chair, etc) over the Superliner Deluxe Bedroom we had previously been in. But it was a treat to enter the Amfleet diner, with its far superior suspension. As I recall, the food was okay.

View attachment 19854
Some of the Heritage Sleepers were in poor shape by the time they were replaced, sort of like the tired Viewliners and Superliner Sleepers are now!

The "Chef-Inspired" meals sounded comically euphemistic when first announced, and the delay before implementation made me wonder if they'd ever show up, but once they did it was clear somebody knew what they were doing. The flavor and texture were much improved over the uninspired meals and before I knew it I was looking forward to eating in the dining car again. The only problems I noticed were the limited selection and the fact that Amtrak kept running out of stock on hand. Otherwise they were quite enjoyable despite being prepared offline and reheated onboard.

I loved the PPC and enjoyed the (original) wine and cheese tasting but most of the PPC food never really did anything for me. According to my memory the hot meals were overcooked and the PPC sandwiches were made and plated offline and then simply unwrapped for serving. The first giveaway was that they couldn't hold the mayo or mustard. I used to have photos to back this up but they seem to have gone missing after a hosting service changed owners.

Add me to the list of people who can confirm the (original) flowers were indeed real. I can't speak to how they were purchased or who paid but they were not always fake. Even plastic flowers were better than what we have today. How much money was saved by throwing them away? Should have left them until they couldn't pass for a flower anymore.
The flowers were standard issue by the commissary at the beginning of the trip until discontinued and plastic was substituted. Even then, many Dining Car LSA's would buy fresh out of their own pocket, just to keep up a sense of decorum.

One of my favorite lunches was offered not that long ago (maybe 5ish years ago). It was a grilled cheese sandwich on sourdough bread with a slice of tomato and, of course, chips. Yum!!

One of my least favorite meals was the Bob Evans scramble for breakfast (I think that was what it was called). It seemed to be around forever.

Although I have food allergies, there were only a few times when I was unable to find something to eat when there was a full diner. I usually gained a little weight every time I took a trip. My last overnight trip was when I traveled cross country and back in early December 2019. In the past year+, I have lost weight without trying (and without wanting to lose weight). Amtrak full diner meals, including dessert (and alcohol) have prevented me from becoming underweight. I miss them. 😥

One of my favorite lunches was offered not that long ago (maybe 5ish years ago). It was a grilled cheese sandwich on sourdough bread with a slice of tomato and, of course, chips. Yum!!

Oh I remember that grilled cheese sandwich! It was suprisingly good.

I also remember the Bob Evans breakfast bowl from the Simplified Dining Days. Knowing that we went from that back to fresh cooked scrambled eggs in the past, gives me hope that we can do it again.

Even on the plastic plate, the grilled cheese looks tasty and is well presented.

Pretty sure it’s a real plate. Based on the other photos I had it grouped with, it’s from the Starlight or Empire Builder.

Edit - there is a plastic cup next to my plate though... hmm!

I remember that! It was the "Chef's Featured Sandwich" one lunch and I remember thinking "whoopee, grilled cheese 🙄", but the waiter said it was really good and to try it. You could order it with or without bacon added. It was delicious.
View attachment 19859
Found a Photo of the Grilled Cheese in my collection.

I remember many Thanksgiving and Christmas special holiday meals. Freshly carved turkey, real mashed potatoes, great tasting dressing, etc. the Dining car decorated, some servers wearing Christmas hats, special treats for the kids traveling. My granddaughters received animals made out of cloth napkins. Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas today as we remember fondly our Dining Car meals of past.

Found this photo--somewhere near Pittsburgh on an eastbound Broadway Limited. We were finishing a cross-country trip, and the Heritage Bedroom was a real disappointment (urine stain on chair, etc) over the Superliner Deluxe Bedroom we had previously been in. But it was a treat to enter the Amfleet diner, with its far superior suspension. As I recall, the food was okay.

Getting those urine stains out is really difficult. I'm currently fighting ten rooms that have all sorts of stains. More likely cat urine or Raccoon from the time it was stored. But it will be clean again sometime soon.

The heritage cars are great cars they are just a bit worn.

Ah... to reminisce on Christmas Day about Christmas Dinner served on Amtrak in the 70's. Here are some photos from around the internet... although I did take pics in those days with a very fancy camera... all that stuff is gone after numerous moves since then... but it is certainly nice to recall. Christmas dinner with all the trimmings was $4.75... that was a splurge for me as I was making $18,000 a year as a public school teacher. Yes... I traveled in coach but just loved it!

Seasons greetings to all on the forum... on the 2020 year holiday... certainly a time to remember...

a3881937-4871-4bd0-a1c4-80692b98fc2a.jpg

Superliner Kitchen.png

Back