Memorable Amtrak Dining Experiences

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A previous post on this thread jogged my memory about the dining car being decorated for Christmas. My 2017 trip on the Silver Meteor: departing Washington on December 26th, I went to the diner for dinner and was pleased to see that the crew had decorated it with colored lights and that some of the crew were wearing Santa hats. Really had not expected that!

I remember many Thanksgiving and Christmas special holiday meals. Freshly carved turkey, real mashed potatoes, great tasting dressing, etc. the Dining car decorated, some servers wearing Christmas hats, special treats for the kids traveling. My granddaughters received animals made out of cloth napkins. Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas today as we remember fondly our Dining Car meals of past.
I have vivid memories of one of those turkey meals (around Thanksgiving). I was sitting at a table with a couple. The woman was wearing a light yellow top. She was eating mashed potatoes with lots of gravy when the train "bumped" and gravy ended up on her chest. It was a mess. I do not think she was very pleased, but that episode caused me to wear dark colors on future train trips. I did enjoy those holiday meals.

Arguably, the best meals served on Amtrak, were in its first year, when everything was pretty much a 'holdover' from the heritage railroads prior to Amtrak Day.
Especially excellent were the Santa Fe, and Seaboard Coast Line operated trains...it all ended when Amtrak "homogenized" the service nationally, although it was still pretty good...
That first year was also my first year back in the States and between getting settled and getting started on the job with Oregon DOT I traveled quite a bit. Friends and colleagues were amused that I always ordered French Toast at breakfast to find out how it would come out. The cooks were still using their old company menus. On the BN they tended to fill you up in case you were going to cut down a forest that day.

I unfortunately am too young to remember the better diner services in the 90s and 00s. So for me the most memorable ones are ones where the passengers I ate with were entertaining.

1. Southbound Coast Starlight the Sunday after Thanksgiving out of Portland for lunch. I was sat with Sir Paul McCartney's music publisher. We had a super enjoyable six hour discussion about music and were ran out of the diner, and continued in the PPC.

2. Westbound Southwest Chief this January I had breakfast with an Amish couple it was very eyeopening and unique.

3. Northbound Coast Starlight last year at lunch I was sat with all people in my generation who weren't social. I remember that because that meal lasted way too long.

4. Westbound Capitol Limited in 2017. I met my friend Maddy who was traveling to Cleveland for the first time. She was in coach, I was in sleeper. I let her have my dessert because I didn't want it, and she got a free salad from me as well. We then talked from Cumberland to Cleveland the entire night. We still chat occasionally.

Surprisingly I don't remember much remarkable on my home trains the Silver Meteor or Silver Star.

Now if we want to talk about other trains.

1. Royal Canadian Pacific. Even though I didn't like the food very much because I don't like gourmet food, the atmosphere bumps it to the top spot, and the company I was with too.

2. VIA Rail Canadian. I've never had a bad meal on the Canadian but one time we had left over Prime Rib Sandwiches because of a delay and that was incredible. I wan't the prime rib recipe just to make the sandwiches.

3. The times I've been assigned to work in a diner. Even though I didn't have an actual seat to eat, and was eating in the kitchen on my feet that was a thrill. At the end of the day I felt like I had done something, and that diner service door is amazing.

Enough for now I'm drooling and hungry.
Yes, sometimes the conversation has been better than the food. It's one of the reasons as a coach passenger I resent the idea of being told to eat junk food for two or three days in the cafe. Here are some memories that show the variety of rail travelers:

Morning Zephyr breakfast with a Columbia University professor on the Fastest Scheduled Train in the U.S. -- along with the Mississippi scenery -- till the dining car crew needed to set up for lunch.

Empire Builder dinner with the mayor of White Bear Lake, Minnesota -- I had spent a summer as a student intern in a city planning department and we talked shop.

Super Continental meals across the prairies with the cute Canadien who I was later married too for many years.

Coast Starlight dinner with a forensics audio expert (he really hated old cassette tapes). And in the opposite business, a manager with a well-known maker of shredders.

Southwest Chief dinner in Phillipe's due to a delayed departure with a movie producer. He loved it. Westbound, lunch with an actress on her way for a television series role. We talked about films.

I only recall two negative experiences (not counting dullness). Coming home from the Army I was seated for breakfast with a German mother and her two cranky, smart alec kids. They sassed her in German and when she pointed me out they basically said that I didn't know what they were saying because I was just a dumb GI. I switched to German and told them what I thought of their behavior. They were startled and quieted down. Their mother and I had a nice conversation in English.

The other one was a guy who did not want to do more than barely acknowledge the other three of us. I could see that he was reading one of Anne Rule's true-life crime books. I decided to leave him alone.

My dad has stories that top all of mine. His best was dining with a labor union official who had been subpoenaed by a congressional investigating committee. It was a headline mystery as to where he was. He told my dad that he caught the next train out of town -- Portland, Oregon -- to DC. He was working on his testimony in his sleeping car room while U.S. marshals watched the airport.

And there have been some real mysteries. On the Tomich between Moscow and Tomsk I was seated with the only other customer in the diner. She was Polish and said that she hated Russians. I really wanted to ask what the **** she was doing in Siberia on a train full of.... Russians. But I had learned in Berlin not to ask some questions.

My most memorable meal occurred in 1976 on the now-discontinued overnight Montrealer between Washington, DC, and Montreal. Questionable old equipment was still being used on passenger trains throughout the nation at the time and the electricity failed in the diner after we had been served our meals. I was seated with a friendly lady about my age. The server brought a candle to our table and we continued eating. It was a fine meal with fine company, and the candle added to the atmosphere. I'm sure Amtrak would not allow the use of lit candles anymore...

My most memorable meal occurred in 1976 on the now-discontinued overnight Montrealer between Washington, DC, and Montreal. Questionable old equipment was still being used on passenger trains throughout the nation at the time and the electricity failed in the diner after we had been served our meals. I was seated with a friendly lady about my age. The server brought a candle to our table and we continued eating. It was a fine meal with fine company, and the candle added to the atmosphere. I'm sure Amtrak would not allow the use of lit candles anymore...

I was on that train many years ago... an overnighter from Montreal. I had taken the 'Ocean' to Halifax... both sectors with a roomette. I believe it went through St. Albans back then... the scenery was amazing. It was a beautiful trip.

Montrealer to DC.png

A previous post on this thread jogged my memory about the dining car being decorated for Christmas. My 2017 trip on the Silver Meteor: departing Washington on December 26th, I went to the diner for dinner and was pleased to see that the crew had decorated it with colored lights and that some of the crew were wearing Santa hats. Really had not expected that!
Although not dining-related, the railcam in Ashland, VA, showed an Amtrak Regional stopping on Christmas Eve. The jolly (large) conductor stepped off wearing a bold "ugly Christmas sweater" and the assistant followed perfectly uniformed except for a large pair of antlers in her hair. Some staff still get the mood.

I was on that train many years ago... an overnighter from Montreal. I had taken the 'Ocean' to Halifax... both sectors with a roomette. I believe it went through St. Albans back then... the scenery was amazing. It was a beautiful trip.

View attachment 19871
I traveled coach most of the time in those days and agree that the scenery was magnificent on this trip. I wish VIA Rail and Amtrak could get together on operating this train again. I also rode the Ocean to Halifax once I got to Montreal. On the return to Montreal from Halifax I rode the now discontinued Scotian.

I traveled coach most of the time in those days and agree that the scenery was magnificent on this trip. I wish VIA Rail and Amtrak could get together on operating this train again. I also rode the Ocean to Halifax once I got to Montreal. On the return to Montreal from Halifax I rode the now discontinued Scotian.
Actually, most of that train still runs, or did run before the Covid cutbacks, and will presumably resume when things settle down. It's now called the Vermonter, and its scenic route is now done mostly during daylight hours. I once checked it out for use on trips to New England back when it was the Montrealer, and it was useless for my purpose, as it stopped in White River Junction at some godawful hour in the middle of the night. The Vermonter arrives at 6 in the evening, and even though that's usually too late for a rental car pickup, it's a short walk from the station to the Hotel Coolidge, where you can spend the night and get your car in the morning. The southbound leaves at about 11 AM. Daylight scenery in both directions.

Like Willbridge and Seaboard, most of my favorite memories are the people.
  • The best one was the time on the LSL Boston section when there were only two tables from the sleeper for dinner into BOS. I was traveling alone, seated with a single woman and a couple. The guy was a science teacher, but he sure didn't like botany, climate science or renewable energy (my main interests), and he didn't like the menu choices either. He ate a cafe pizza for dinner, and then decamped, followed by his apologetic wife. The other woman savored the dessert and I talked about healthy food and farming till they kicked us out so they could clean up. That was only one of many times the staff have left a lively table till they absolutely had to get us out in order to finish their work!
  • I used to run a small nonprofit with a regional renewable energy event in Oregon. At least twice, one of my table mates has looked at my t-shirt and said they had been to my event. The most memorable was on the Sunset Ltd, in Texas. I asked for my fellow diner's name, he told me, and I said, "Oh, you've been on my email list for a LONG time and you live in the Columbia Gorge!" His wife was from Mexico, and she had her "papers" out before the immigration officers came through and asked for them at Alpine. They were polite, and she took it in stride.
  • On one long trip to New England (back when I could afford to take a circuitous route because the points cost was based on zones, not miles), I was on the CS, then the CZ, and then the Card along with a woman who also lived in Oregon. I wasn't traveling "with" her, but by the time we boarded the CZ, we had figured out we were headed in the same direction. After that, we ate all our meals together and banded with another woman going on the same trains who had never traveled by train before, who was worried about missing her connections in Chicago and Charlottesville. Over the next several meals, we worked out a plan to take care of her at CHI, and then hand her off to someone at CVS who would see her on to make sure she arrived safely. Still friends with the other Oregon woman.
Now, for the railfans, here's photo of the Pacific Parlour Car at meal time in December 2008:
IMG_1747.JPG
And for the foodies, one of the lunches I really liked (mussels, though the presentation left much to be desired):
1_trip11.jpg
I realized that I rarely take photos of my food. Too busy eating it!

Like Willbridge and Seaboard, most of my favorite memories are the people.
  • The best one was the time on the LSL Boston section when there were only two tables from the sleeper for dinner into BOS. I was traveling alone, seated with a single woman and a couple. The guy was a science teacher, but he sure didn't like botany, climate science or renewable energy (my main interests), and he didn't like the menu choices either. He ate a cafe pizza for dinner, and then decamped, followed by his apologetic wife. The other woman savored the dessert and I talked about healthy food and farming till they kicked us out so they could clean up. That was only one of many times the staff have left a lively table till they absolutely had to get us out in order to finish their work!
  • I used to run a small nonprofit with a regional renewable energy event in Oregon. At least twice, one of my table mates has looked at my t-shirt and said they had been to my event. The most memorable was on the Sunset Ltd, in Texas. I asked for my fellow diner's name, he told me, and I said, "Oh, you've been on my email list for a LONG time and you live in the Columbia Gorge!" His wife was from Mexico, and she had her "papers" out before the immigration officers came through and asked for them at Alpine. They were polite, and she took it in stride.
  • On one long trip to New England (back when I could afford to take a circuitous route because the points cost was based on zones, not miles), I was on the CS, then the CZ, and then the Card along with a woman who also lived in Oregon. I wasn't traveling "with" her, but by the time we boarded the CZ, we had figured out we were headed in the same direction. After that, we ate all our meals together and banded with another woman going on the same trains who had never traveled by train before, who was worried about missing her connections in Chicago and Charlottesville. Over the next several meals, we worked out a plan to take care of her at CHI, and then hand her off to someone at CVS who would see her on to make sure she arrived safely. Still friends with the other Oregon woman.
Now, for the railfans, here's photo of the Pacific Parlour Car at meal time in December 2008:
View attachment 19892
And for the foodies, one of the lunches I really liked (mussels, though the presentation left much to be desired):
View attachment 19893
I realized that I rarely take photos of my food. Too busy eating it!

I enjoyed those mussels quite a few times... they were savory and the broth was delicious... and when one must continue to sit for another entire afternoon before eating again, the mussels were light and didn't leave me full. Combined with good company at the dining table, it was an absolutely memorable and enjoyable lunch every time!

I am so looking forward to some kind of 'normal.' 🤠

BTW... by us all wearing those masks and social distancing, we can speed up when that day will come again! 😇😇😇

Ha, ha, precisely why I liked the mussels! I am a small person, and I always knew I'd be finishing the meal with the chocolate dessert!

Aaah... the good old days of Amtrak dining... but when sitting all day and consuming three meals a day which is more than I normally eat, I would order that dessert at lunch and give it to someone at the table who might be traveling in coach and paying extraordinarily high prices for the food. Kind-a like a good-will pass it along thing. A great way to make friends! ;)

Aaah... the good old days of Amtrak dining... but when sitting all day and consuming three meals a day which is more than I normally eat, I would order that dessert at lunch and give it to someone at the table who might be traveling in coach and paying extraordinarily high prices for the food. Kind-a like a good-will pass it along thing. A great way to make friends! ;)

Eww. I would hate that as a coach passenger. I can pay for my own food and don’t need a judgemental handout from someone across the table from me.

Eww. I would hate that as a coach passenger. I can pay for my own food and don’t need a judgemental handout from someone across the table from me.
And I, on the other hand, always accept free food. I suppose it comes from my father who came of age during the depression/Dust Bowl and even until his dying days in the early '00s would not waste anything, including food that had gone bad. I remember him eating moldy fruit on more than one occasion.

There's a whole area of discussion on table mates in the dining car. Most often conversations are friendly if not enthusiastic, and I did offer that dessert several times which was taken as a kind gesture... and never experienced it as taken as a 'judgemental handout.'

However there were times when the 'family style' dining didn't go well... so here's how I handled it... if seated next to someone who was sneezing and coughing, I gave a friendly nod and politely indicated to server I needed to use the restroom and would come back later.

Another time I was seated next to someone who clearly didn't want to share the extra space next to him. He protruded his elbow out and gave me a sneer. That time I did point that out to the server who seemed to understand and he seated me next to someone else. As a single at family style dining, anything goes.

Finally, I was seated at a table with three young siblings who didn't seem to be getting along ... and parents no where to be seen. Rather than deal with that during what is supposed to be an enjoyable and relaxing meal, I asked the server to seat me somewhere else. And the server went to look for the parents!

Stuff happens during the best of times!

Another time I was seated next to someone who clearly didn't want to share the extra space next to him. He protruded his elbow out and gave me a sneer. That time I did point that out to the server who seemed to understand and he seated me next to someone else. As a single at family style dining, anything goes.
I've sat next to him too. ;) The other example I remember was on my last EB trip, travelling to meet up with my wife who'd been on a cruise. I was to be seated next to a young woman with a couple already seated opposite. She objected to the server as he was placing my menu next to her, but fortunately the couple (who had already received their salads) agreed to split up and the wife moved next to her. The meal continued pleasantly enough and through conversation we all learned the young lady was relocating after an abusive relationship and didn't "trust" men.

Like most of y'all I love the conversations and since we always ate late in the schedules, have extended them often. After reading 20CR idea about offering not wanted desert, I thought, thats a great idea I never thought about. I never eat the desert and felt bad about never offering....That was until I read C-Zs response. I thought , well, glad I didn't. Then along comes Barb Stout on a different train with her reply. Again, that's what I loved about the dining car experience. I never had The Mussels on the menu, that's a bummer.

I've sat next to him too. ;) The other example I remember was on my last EB trip, travelling to meet up with my wife who'd been on a cruise. I was to be seated next to a young woman with a couple already seated opposite. She objected to the server as he was placing my menu next to her, but fortunately the couple (who had already received their salads) agreed to split up and the wife moved next to her. The meal continued pleasantly enough and through conversation we all learned the young lady was relocating after an abusive relationship and didn't "trust" men.

Yeah, I enjoyed meeting people in the diner but being seated next to a stranger could be quite awkward. I had some uncomfortable advances from both men and women.

Oh, well, if we're morphing away from Amtrak dining experiences, I had a memorable meal on British Railways in 1985. My brother and I were tootling around the country on a 2nd class Britrail Pass, and our final ride was back to London from Penzance, a 6-hour ride. (Most of our rides during the trip were too short to be too concerned about on-board service, but we sometimes bought tea from the refreshment carts that were pushed through the 2nd class carriages.)

We found out that this train had a "restaurant car" and since we were near the end of the trip, decided to try it out. It was basically a First-class carriage fitted up for dining, which didn't really require much, as all of the open coaches, first and second class, had facing seats with fairly substantial tables. The table was set for dinner, with china and silver. The food was cooked in an adjacent catering car. Dinner was 25 pounds (which was about $30-$35 at the rate of exchange at the time), and this was 1985, so that was a hefty chunk of change. But it was a full dinner, and not a bad value for a one-off. I had the steak, which was cooked very nicely. The main thing I remember was that, in addition to dessert, they served a cheese course at the end of the meal, a large plate of cheeses, warmed to room temperature as they should be, served under a glass cover. I don't remember whether the price included wine or not, although I suspect it didn't. Off the train, we never spent more that 10 pounds or so for dinner, but then we were eating at a lot of Indian restaurants, and at the time, the Indian food in London was far superior to anything that was available back home. (My brother had just returned from a semester in Nepal and a tour of India, so he introduced me to the unusual stuff on Indian menus that I had never tried before.)
I always think of England( one of my "Mother Countries") as the home of Bad Weather, Bad Food, High Prices,Great History and Wonderful People!😊🥰

I always think of England( one of my "Mother Countries") as the home of Bad Weather, Bad Food, High Prices,Great History and Wonderful People!😊🥰

I agree with almost everything you said about jolly old England... and while black pudding and haggis leave much to be desired in the 'food department,' I kind-a liked the pasties of Cornwall and some of the best fish and chips I've ever had were enjoyed throughout the land. Aah; and a proper English Breakfast enjoyed on the Manchester Pullman decades ago is still embedded in memory. I just love England!

BTW... finally cancelled my January Amtrak trip that would have taken me through Austin... but do look forward to eventually seeing you in person. Do stay safe and let's get past this pandemic! 🌈

Back