Memphis Parking

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kentuckian1977

Service Attendant
I quite by accident just ran across information online which said that you can no longer park long-term at Central Station in Memphis. Amtrak's website seems to confirm this, as it now lists the parking as only short term. Can anyone who has left on the CONO from there lately tell me if this is the case or not? If it is I'm highly aggravated, since I just booked a round trip to Chicago out of Memphis for five weeks from now. When I did the same thing back in December of 2012, the parking was free and on the side of the lot right by the platform. What gives?

Edit: fixed typo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. That first link is the one that I had happened across that had got me concerned about his to begin with. I did just now notice that the original post in that was from Feb. 2013, only a couple of months after I had left my car at the station in Memphis for my last trip out of there without any problems. I'm wondering if perhaps it is still all right to park there - even if not promoted as such necessarily. Hoping somebody who has done so lately will know. If nothing else I will do one of the garages listed in that info or something else if I have to - changing the reservation would be too much trouble, especially since half of it was done with AGR points.

I noticed after some googling that the lot at the station is still shown as a free park and ride lot for the Memphis Trolley system. I'm guessing if it is still free for that then surely Amtrak passengers can still use the spaces next to the Amtrak platform. Guess I'm just wanting somebody to say "Oh yeah, just rode the City out of there and left my car no problems" to reassure me. If nothing else, we'll get there early enough to find a garage and cab it if need be, but if they have stopped Amtrak passengers from parking there it is a boneheaded move of the first degree, as MEM had long been lauded on here and elsewhere as one of the handiest big city stations in the whole network precisely because you can/could park right next to the platform.

I also see that the lot across the tracks from the station, at "Central Station Pavillion" is listed on the downtown Memphis website as being free and open 24/7, so that might be a workable Plan B if they have gotten anal about letting people park overnight in the lot that is shared with the P.D. right in front of the platform.

Edit: Added last paragraph.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is crazy. We left our car there for a 10 day trip last summer with no problems, and I have heard nothing otherwise. However, it appears from Amtk's website that there is only short term available. If I find anything out I will post.

I just got off the phone with the ticket agent in Memphis. There has been NO change in the parking policy at Memphis Central Station. No-cost short term and long-term parking is still available at the station at track side as in the past. She is leaving a note for the station manager to call Amtrak and notify them of the error on the website.

I heard from a couple of guys that in recent times have parked there long term for a train trip and had no problems. Good news about the word from the agent!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back