Memphis to Montpelier

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amtrak George

Lead Service Attendant
I am looking at a trip that would begin at Memphis, TN, thence Chicago and Capitol Limited to Washington, DC with Regional train to New York, and Vermonter to Montpelier, VT.

The connection at New York requires an overnight but is less than 24 hours. Will Guest Rewards do this for me on a 2 zone redemption, and if so, does anyone have any advice such as "magic words" to use when I call, and/or a reference to a written policy allowing it? (I would want sleeper on the CONO and Cap, business class on other segments).

Thanks, George

I was pleasantly surprised a few years ago when the AGR agent included the segment on the Adirondack from NYP to Montreal as part of my one zone redemption from Orlando. I did overnight in NY and was there for less than 24 hours. I did not ask for anything special, I just informed the agent of my final destination. The agent had to check with a supervisor before issuing the ticket.

Please note that this was several years ago and the rules have changed, so I am not sure this will work now.

The difference is that the Adirondack originates in NYP, but the Vermonter originates in WAS. If the OP wanted to get to Montpelier directly, the same thing might happen in WAS. (I really don't know.) But the OP specifically wants to stop in NYP, that's why the award would end there.

So I wonder: if I did the layover at Washington, DC (the Cap terminates there) and took the Vermonter from there the next morning, would I have a better chance?

Back