Mess on NEC south 6/28

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like there was a trespasser strike between New Carrolton and WAS. No Amtrak trains are going through. MARC trains are terminating in New Carrolton. Good thing this isn't last week when the Orange Line was shut down for Safe Track.

Also NER 67 is reported to be a half hour late into Wilmington. Of courser, until things clear up further south, it's not going anywhere.

I'm on the movet, but expect to get to work late.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the article:

"An Amtrak spokesperson previously said the victims appeared to be trespassers, but CSX spokesman Rob Doolittle confirmed the victims were CSX employees Wednesday morning."

[SIZE=17.008px]I was told trespassers when I passed through Baltimore station at 5:35 AM this morning. Obviously, that judgement was premature.[/SIZE]

My MARC train made it to New Carrolton without incident. People with MARC tickets were comped the Metro fare. I rode the Metro right to my office. I actually wasn't really all that late for work.

The was an empty Acela trainset sitting on the northbound track at New Carrolton.

From the train tracker, looks like things are pretty messed up. They've been turning trains at Wilmington (2100), Philadelphia (170) and New York (2150).

This event occur last night, and still they are unable to open the tracks for the morning service.

Yes hit and killing two railroad workers would require more paperwork. However one thinks there going to be a bit more to the story.

NTSB commandeered the tracks - both the CSX tracks and both the Amtrak tracks near 1231 New York Avenue NE where the accident occurred. They released one track at around 9am for 10mph operation according to the NTSB Board Member who just concluded a press conference at Union Station (at 12 noon or a little thereafter).

The fatalities are the Conductor and a Trainee Conductor of the freight train. The freight train - an intermodal train - had stopped after being notified of a problem from a hot axle and dragging equipment detectors. The two gentlemen had disembarked the engine and were walking the train, in the process of which they possibly strayed upon the active Amtrak track. What communication, if any, took place between CSX and Amtrak dispatchers is unknown at the time of the press conference, but a subject of the investigation. Speed limit for Amtrak southbound trains at that point is 95mph. The black box and the video recordings from the cab cameras of the Amtrak engine is in the process of being downloaded for analysis.

That is all I could gather from listening to the presser.

It is quite sad. The length and route of that train put them in a tight spot. Even though you should expect a train at any time, on any track and in any direction, they probably had seconds to react and probably weren't used to the speeds.

It is quite sad. The length and route of that train put them in a tight spot. Even though you should expect a train at any time, on any track and in any direction, they probably had seconds to react and probably weren't used to the speeds.

Back