Mess on Yesterday's (5/2) 2154

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TC_NYC

Service Attendant
Have a coworker that was on 2154 from NYP-BOS yesterday (5/2). They where stranded for 2 hours outside of New Haven, right around Branford, CT. It was 90+ yesterday and the train was stopped on single track with no air. Apparently the passengers opened the emergency windows as the fumes from the restrooms where unbearable in the heat and the crew provided nearly no updates, besides that they where disabled on single track (the adjacent track supposedly was out of service).

They ended up having a CDOT train rescue them and got on another set of equipment at Old Saybrook.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a coworker that was on 2154 from NYP-BOS yesterday. They where stranded for 2 hours outside of New Haven, right around Branford, CT. It was 90+ yesterday and the train was stopped on single track with no air. Apparently the passengers opened the emergency windows as the fumes from the restrooms where unbearable in the heat and the crew provided nearly no updates, besides that they where disabled on single track (the adjacent track supposedly was out of service).

They ended up having a CDOT train rescue them and got on another set of equipment at Old Saybrook.
Similar thing happened to my dad several years ago. He was taking Acela from NYP-BOS, and they experienced some delays due to the truck driver that had a heart attack on an overpass. The truck flew straight off the side of the bridge, took down the catenary below, landed on the tracks, and caught fire. The train had to wait for them to shut off the power, so that they could put out the fire, so that the coroner could come and determine the cause of death, so that they could clear the wreckage, so that they could put the catenary back up, so that they could keep moving.

After several hours, the crew figured out they couldn't get the train moving again, and they had to be rescued by an ancient ConDOT train that reeked of diesel and moved at maybe 40 miles an hour. Finally, they got into BOS 17 hours late, at two o'clock in the morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was scheduled to arrive at noon but did not arrive until 2 am - and they did not put passengers on another train?
default_huh.png
there are many trains on that stretch (both Acela and Regional).

I was on a Regional that broke down and they put us on an Acela! And the station I was going to (KIN) has no Acela service!

It was scheduled to arrive at noon but did not arrive until 2 am - and they did not put passengers on another train?
default_huh.png

I was on a Regional that broke down and they put us on an Acela! And the station I was going to (KIN) has no Acela service!
They waited several hours for the wreckage to be cleared and the wires to be fixed. Eventually they gave up and stuck everyone on a spare ConDOT train. It was mid July, so maybe they didn't want everyone to wait in the heat for an NER.

default_huh.png

Yes, but they use Kingston as an emergency station for the Acela, since it's the only station between New London, CT and Providence, RI with high-level platforms.

I was caught up in the incident cpotisch's Dad experienced. I was on a later train; we were bussed from NYP to NYG, boarded a Metro North train and travelled to New Haven.

Then we waited for hours, with pretty much no information from the agents. Finally, once there were enough passengers to fill a train, we all boarded a regional to BOS. The train arrived after after the Red line stopped for the night-had to taxi home.

Mike

Back