Met lounge In Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amatuer

Train Attendant
is there a place to store ur carryons so u can walk about. have a 5 hour layover in chicago to seattle.

Absolutely! If you are entitled to use the lounge, there is an area staffed by a redcap inside the lounge. There is no charge, although a tip is a nice idea.

If you are in coach, there are lockers that you can use. The lockers accept coins, bills, and credit cards to pay for their use.

there are lockers that you can use
Alan - do you know what the time limit per payment is for the lockers - 24 hours? When I'm there in June I may need to leave some stuff most of a day.

Thanks!

MrFSS said:
there are lockers that you can use
Alan - do you know what the time limit per payment is for the lockers - 24 hours? When I'm there in June I may need to leave some stuff most of a day.

Thanks!
I do know that you can leave stuff overnight in the lockers, although you will pay for it. All the lockers are inside the baggage claim room and when it closes for the night, access to the lockers is cut off. I don't recall what time that room closes, but I want to say that it's probably like 9:00 PM. According to the Amtrak site, checked baggage is available till 8:30 PM, so that may well be when the room closes. The times are posted on the door and the attendant inside would also know.

But if you are arriving or departing in first class (ie. a sleeper), you can use the free storage inside the lounge.

But if you are arriving or departing in first class (ie. a sleeper), you can use the free storage inside the lounge.
Actually - I'mm arriving by coach class on American Airlines. :D

I will then take the Blue line down and walk a few blocks to CUS to ride to MKE and back - should be back way before 9:00PM and take the Blue line back to my hotel.

Thanks for the input!!

MrFSS said:
Actually - I'mm arriving by coach class on American Airlines. :D
Well then no, that won't help, unless you happen to have an Amtrak Guest Rewards Select Plus card.

MrFSS said:
I will then take the Blue line down and walk a few blocks to CUS to ride to MKE and back - should be back way before 9:00PM and take the Blue line back to my hotel.
Why not just take your bags straight to the hotel? Most hotels will hold bags for arriving/departing guests for free. Or is the hotel way out of the way?

Or is the hotel way out of the way?
I may do that. It is a shuttle bus ride from O'Hare. I may call and see if the shuttle bus would just take the bag to the hotel. I've stayed there a number of times and trust them.

My concern is if the plane is late and I don't have much time to get to CUS to catch the train. I'd just take the one little bag and check it and pick it up late in the afternoon when I got back.

Thanks!!

MrFSS said:
What? No Metra?

thank you for the feedback. great site for rail information. thanks all

While Metra's North Central Service does serve O'Hare and Union Station, the service is nowhere near as frequent as Blue Line service. Depending on when you get to O'Hare, you could spend more time waiting for Metra than you would have simply riding cta into town.

While Metra's North Central Service does serve O'Hare and Union Station, the service is nowhere near as frequent as Blue Line service. Depending on when you get to O'Hare, you could spend more time waiting for Metra than you would have simply riding cta into town.
I had forgotten about that Metra service. I see the schedule shows a train leaving the O'hare stop about 7:55 AM and the next one isn't until 10:00AM. Do you know how long it takes to get from an arriving plane once in the terminal to that stop via the shuttle bus? If my plane is on time I'd only have about 50 minutes.

Lockers should be open for use in the coach waiting area, near gates for east bound trains. Pricey!!! If you are inbound on a train look to your right when you come into the station. I know you are coming in on the other( not to be named ) transprotion. Just a heads up for others. :D

Give me an idea of the price of lockers at Chicago Union, and the length of time..hourly, 12 hours, etc.

Thanks

Swiped from my previous trip report at OTOL:

Coin lockers: Thanks to terrorists, the days of stashing your bag a couple hours for 50 cents are over. You may wish to check your baggage with Amtrak when connecting. If you're like me -- slightly paranoid about checking baggage -- renting one of the fancy-schmancy high-tech lockers at Union Station for an hour will cost you $3.00. Figure about $9.00 for the entire day.

MrFSS said:
I had forgotten about that Metra service. I see the schedule shows a train leaving the O'hare stop about 7:55 AM and the next one isn't until 10:00AM. Do you know how long it takes to get from an arriving plane once in the terminal to that stop via the shuttle bus? If my plane is on time I'd only have about 50 minutes.
There was a previous conversation on the Metra O'hare service, but I'm not sure if anyone mentioned how long it takes to get to the station. It's at the end of a parking lot and there's a shuttle that will take you there.

Click it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back