Metra DMU test

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DMUs are fantastic for their purpose but I just don't see them working on rush hour trains.
Is that the idea they are thinking of, however? Or is it EJ&E service and, possibly, Crosstown which might have a different sort of profile?
I was the engineer testing these DMUs all weekend, and while I was impressed with acceleration they were barely faster than our F40s. I was only a few mph faster in spots with the DMUs than I'd normally be.
Where were they running? Sorry I didn't see this thread until today. I would have loved to witness them out on the lines and taken photos.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about the few off-peak trains Metra runs? Would these be an advantage to some of the all-stops midday trains with somewhat lighter loads?
IF you want to maintain two sets of equipment, it would be OK, I guess. And by the way, Metra runs more than "few" off-peak runs. The major routes _ Electric, Rock Island, BNSF, Milwaukee East and North, UP North, Northwest and West - all run hourly service on weekdays. Other than some New York City routes, I don't any U.S. commuter lines that do better than that. Metra riders enjoy two and two seating on main level and single seating on the upper level. Much better than the crappy 2-3 seating on eastern routes. Give me a Metra bi-level any time over cramped eastern cars.

New York area. And some SEPTA lines.

Also worth noting that Caltrain, FrontRunner, MARC Penn Line, at least one MBTA line, and Tri-Rail run hourly midday/off-peak service as well (although not necessarily as frequently into the evening).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back