Metro Deli Closing (Chicago Union Station)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hessjm

OBS Chief
Honored Member
Amtrak did not renew their lease, so they will be closing June 19th. To do the repairs on the stairs on that side of the station will require utilizing some of that space. So that will be one less place with decent food in the station.

This is part of the planned renovations. It will eventually be replaced by ticket counters. Current ticket counter space will be used for an expanded waiting area. The north and south waiting areas will be one... with the current escalators moved... passengers services and Lounge G will become more waiting room space.

Wait what? This is the bar located right outside the main Amtrak area--you have to walk up a little ramp to get to it, there's a counter facing the outside and then another bar inside--it's the only restaurant/bar in Union Station, right? The one where I see commuters buying drinks for the ride home?

If so: I'm completely crushed. I absolutely love getting a reuben and a cheap martini there between trains when I'm headed west. And sometimes some food for later when I'm not looking forward to the diner car menu. The only other bar is in the food court and is drinks only (right?)

The "final farewell week" poster on the Metro's webpage means this is depressingly real:

http://metrodeli.com/eats/index.php

On the bright side--apparently the Junction (the other bar, the one in the food court) was supposed to be serving their own food starting this spring--can anyone confirm/deny?

Additional bright side: You know I could always venture outside the station...it's not like that area lacks for pubs and such.

If the south & north waiting areas will become combined, what will happen with the Metropolitian Lounge? :huh:
At Train Days, two different Amtrak employees told me that the Metropolitan Lounge would move to a space under and on both sides of the south staircase in the Great Hall. The entrance will be just to the north of the south staircase.

The one employee said it would happen about August; the other said that construction would start in August and the move would be in 2017.

If the south & north waiting areas will become combined, what will happen with the Metropolitian Lounge? :huh:
At Train Days, two different Amtrak employees told me that the Metropolitan Lounge would move to a space under and on both sides of the south staircase in the Great Hall. The entrance will be just to the north of the south staircase.

The one employee said it would happen about August; the other said that construction would start in August and the move would be in 2017.
Good to hear; this project was supposed to be happening several years ago, and it got mysteriously delayed for no-stated-reason. I would have guessed funding, but Amtrak's actually got less funding now than when it got delayed, so I don't really get it.

Wha?????? I was already salivating for my mega-dose of carbs at Metro Deli upon arrival at CUS for my July trip. I'm sure I'll find a suitable alternative:)

That ought to be interesting when I pass through the station on an upcoming trip.

My spelling can be a bit suspect... Given my current preoccupation with gathering info for my trip to India this autumn, I was a bit startled to read that Delhi Metro was closing... Glad to hear that is not the case, and I am sure you folks in Chicago will find a bite to eat...

Ed :cool:

No need to be in distress, and fire off a maroon !

If you pretend that you required to know it's location within the station itself, your question is perfect. ;)

Ed :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have some real memories there. More than once I stopped by and grabbed something while waiting between trains, and once when traveling with some buddies we had some beer and a round of pool before catching our train back home. I've walked by it time and again every time I've passed through Union Station and I always notice it when I'm watching YouTube videos taken at Union Station.

I will miss the Metro Deli. At the same time, I'm glad to see progress at Union Station is FINALLY under way. The stairway project is starting, the transit facility is under construction, and the Metropolitan Lounge relocation will happen in the foreseeable future.

We will have a layover at Chicago Union Station June 26th. Five adults. Looking for a sports bar or bar and grill within walking distance. Any suggestions? We've tried Lou Mitchell's before (because that was the only thing we could visibly see from the station) but would rather find a sports bar type atmosphere.

We will have a layover at Chicago Union Station June 26th. Five adults. Looking for a sports bar or bar and grill within walking distance. Any suggestions? We've tried Lou Mitchell's before (because that was the only thing we could visibly see from the station) but would rather find a sports bar type atmosphere.
Dylan's, it's about a half block away on Clinton.

Why does progress always have to take a step backward? I liked the Metro Deli precisely because it represented Chicago to a downstater like me, NOT a food court in Yocumville.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back