Metrolink Bomb Scare

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhoozOn1st

Engineer
Honored Member
I was on my way out the door when I caught a TV report about this; all clear shortly after 2 p.m. Likely more detail in tomorrow's L.A. Times, but at first glance it appears to be a case of hysteria. TV showed aerial views of the train at Burbank. Just where you wanna stop a train that might have a bomb aboard: the airport.

Metrolink train halted over bomb scare - http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-metrolink-bomb-scare-20130416,0,5700545.story

Last edited by a moderator:
"At 12:28 p.m. a passenger aboard the 286 train headed toward Union Station from the Antelope Valley reported overhearing another passenger use the word "bomb" and alerted authorities."

/facepalm

/headdesk

Gosh, I can't imagine anyone using the word "bomb" today, considering everyone's been talking about Boston... I think I said, "Bomb," at least 14 times today.

I was on my way out the door when I caught a TV report about this; all clear shortly after 2 p.m. Likely more detail in tomorrow's L.A. Times, but at first glance it appears to be a case of hysteria. TV showed aerial views of the train at Burbank. Just where you wanna stop a train that might have a bomb aboard: the airport.
Metrolink train halted over bomb scare - http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-metrolink-bomb-scare-20130416,0,5700545.story
This appears to be at the Downtown Burbank station, which is a good1-2 miles from Bob Hope Airport. There is not airport stop on the Antelope Valley line, just the Ventura line.

"At 12:28 p.m. a passenger aboard the 286 train headed toward Union Station from the Antelope Valley reported overhearing another passenger use the word "bomb" and alerted authorities."
/facepalm

/headdesk

Gosh, I can't imagine anyone using the word "bomb" today, considering everyone's been talking about Boston... I think I said, "Bomb," at least 14 times today.
Expect this to continue for awhile. On trainorders a person was harassed by the CTA for taking pictures. He said the website says its allowed the employee said a bulletin was passed around banning it cause of boston yet those taking pics with cell phones were not challenged.

/facepalm

/headdesk

Expect this to continue for awhile. On trainorders a person was harassed by the CTA for taking pictures. He said the website says its allowed the employee said a bulletin was passed around banning it cause of boston yet those taking pics with cell phones were not challenged.
Oh, for crying out loud...

Not hysteria, and apparently not printworthy, either. Online update:

Man arrested in Metrolink bomb scare - http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-man-arrested-in-metrolink-bomb-scare-20130417,0,2382174.story
"A 53-year-old Lancaster man who claimed there was a bomb on a Metrolink train Tuesday was arrested after officials discovered he was subject to an outstanding warrant, police said.

"The man, who was not immediately identified, reportedly told a female passenger that there was a bomb on the train, which was coming from the Antelope Valley, said Burbank Police Sgt. Darin Ryburn.

"The woman reported the comment to the train conductor, who called police at 12:36 p.m. The conductor stopped the train at the [Downtown] Burbank station, located at 201 N. Front St."

Man arrested in Metrolink bomb scare - http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-man-arrested-in-metrolink-bomb-scare-20130417,0,2382174.story

"A 53-year-old Lancaster man who claimed there was a bomb on a Metrolink train Tuesday was arrested after officials discovered he was subject to an outstanding warrant, police said.

"The man, who was not immediately identified, reportedly told a female passenger that there was a bomb on the train, which was coming from the Antelope Valley, said Burbank Police Sgt. Darin Ryburn.

"The woman reported the comment to the train conductor, who called police at 12:36 p.m. The conductor stopped the train at the [Downtown] Burbank station, located at 201 N. Front St."
Well NOW it makes sense. The original story just said someone said the word "bomb" and made it sound like the other passenger pulled a Chicken Little. :)

Well NOW it makes sense. The original story just said someone said the word "bomb" and made it sound like the other passenger pulled a Chicken Little. :)
I thought the exact same thing Sorcha. The rush to get a story out right as it's breaking ALWAYS is inaccurate to some extent. The details emerge over time, in almost all stories.

Back