Mexican train ride

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Frank

HI, I was wondering whether or not it is feasible to take Amtrak from New York to Mexico City or maybe to Texas & then transfer to another train/bus to Mexico City as I am going there on or about the 15th of February & would prefer not to fly.

From what I gathered info from Mexico on newspaper about the passenger trains. It used to have them, but the corruption in either gov't or privatization shut down the passenger train systems several years ago.

In Mexico City, the gov't want to build commuter train system around it to relieve the congestion on roads.

As far as I know, the only passenger train is Copper Canyon which it is considered to be a tourist train.

It hasn't been too many years ago when the American Orient Express took a tour to Mexico. Wonder if that still happens?

Perhaps the Copper County train gswager refers to relates to the AOE someway?

But that all commercial trains are gone? That is scarey. I hope somebody knows the answer.

It has been alleged that when the Federal Railways of Mexico were privatized in the last decade or so, one of the conditions set by the investors was that there was to be no Mexican version of Amtrak. IOW, rumor has it that other than AOE or the commuter service around Mexico City, no trains.

Yes it is very feasible - I am from Chicago and studied abroad in Mexico last semester and got there without flying. My advice would be to take Amtrak to and from San Antonio and pick up one of the Mexican bus lines from there (their long distance train system is bankrupt, but their bus system is EXCELLENT). I used Autobuses Americanos

http://www.autobusesamericanos.com.mx/americanos/

their website doesn't have much info, but you can look up their location in San Antonio, they have busses that go direct to the northern bus terminal in Mexico City. You'll probably have to wait until your arrival in San Antonio to purchase your ticket but that should not be a problem.

From what I remember I think Mexico still has two operating intercity trains but I forget what cities they serve. Anyone know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back