Michigan Central Train Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Philzy

Train Attendant
So I was looking through pictures of the Crescent on Flicker and came across this one somehow of the Michigan Central Train Station. I was actually kinda shocked as I’d never ever heard anything about it before, I guess from not being from that area of the country. I checked out the wiki artcile which has a little bit of info but I'm assuming rail fans may have a few more insights to this story...

Maybe this has been discussed before but nothing popped up when I did a search. Seems like such a shame. From what I read on wiki, the problem was that it was just built too far away from the city? It seems too that there have been plenty of “plans” but nothing that has come to fruition.

Granted the economy is lousy especially in that area of the country but are there any "current" plans for that building?

Philzy

So I was looking through pictures of the Crescent on Flicker and came across this one somehow of the Michigan Central Train Station. I was actually kinda shocked as I’d never ever heard anything about it before, I guess from not being from that area of the country. I checked out the wiki artcile which has a little bit of info but I'm assuming rail fans may have a few more insights to this story...
Maybe this has been discussed before but nothing popped up when I did a search. Seems like such a shame. From what I read on wiki, the problem was that it was just built too far away from the city? It seems too that there have been plenty of “plans” but nothing that has come to fruition.

Granted the economy is lousy especially in that area of the country but are there any "current" plans for that building?

Philzy
Since it's very depressing seeing and thinking about what's become of Michigan Central, I won't say much. It's owned by the Billionaire that owns the Ambassador Bridge and it's beyond a tragedy what's happened to it. As a child growing up in Detroit, some of my favorite memories are of going to the station. I took trains there even into the early 70's, coming home on the train from Ann Arbor. As a librarian your note has illustrated why "wiki's" are never considered reliable: Michigan Central is just west of Downtown and is opposite Tiger Stadium ( blessed be its name). Hardly "too far away from the city" Regardless, it was a grand old building and it's shameful what has happened to it.

Ed

This gentle giant is very similar to the old T&P building in Fort Worth. it is now a luxury office/condo building and the final stop, with elevated platform, for the train that comes from Dallas. The waiting room and loading areas still survive despite the make over. They even preserved the front door handles with the T&P red diamond logo. I was extremely impressed~ hopefully someone will see the light and do the same for the Michigan Central building.

A travesty what has happened to this beautiful building. I too remember taking trains into and out of the depot. The last time was about 1965 when I came in on Canadian National from Toronto. My dad and I always took the train (NYC) from Bay City to Detroit to see the Tigers play at Tiger Stadium. Great times! We always stayed at the Fort Shelby Hotel which also became an abandoned building. It was a great hotel. Fortunately, it was bought and is now reopened as a beautiful Doubletree hotel. All suites and gorgeous. Most of Tiger Stadium has been torn down. At one time, there was talk of making the station police headquarters. Regardless, something should be done with it. It is a classic. On another note, if you're in the area of the depot, right across the street (Michigan Ave.) is a wonderful BBQ restaurant. It is called Slow's. Best mac and cheese I have ever had - bar none. Great ribs too.

it was supposed to be converted in to DPD HQ but they sense moved into another building. I say renovate it and turn it into a hotel.

I keep thinking that it would be the perfect backdrop for my train home idea. Really, though, I think that building isn't even structurally sound anymore.

I keep thinking that it would be the perfect backdrop for my train home idea. Really, though, I think that building isn't even structurally sound anymore.
Actually, I believe I heard it is still sound,however, massive amounts of $$$ would be needed to do anything worth while. One can always hope and dream. It is such a cool building.

There's a website called either "The Ruins of Detroit," or "The Urban Ruins of Detroit" where the webmaster has accessed some of the more well known abandoned properties in Detroit. Very interesting and at the same time very sad to look at. As several have mentioned the city was going either renovate or sell to a developer who would have renovated then leased MCS back to the city for DPD headquarters. Ultimately DPD stayed in their headquarters building near Ford Field and Comerica Park.

OK, that's really weird, I was thumbing through all the pics on Flickr last night about this station and also Oakland's 16th Street Station. That building is definitely sound, just needs LOTS AND LOTS of work. Same for the Oakland station...

The grounds around the old Michigan Central station are very nice too. Lots of potential there. The grounds are almost park like. Look at some of the air photos or Google Earth. Lots of room.

The other one that breaks my heart is the old Buffalo station. What a beauty.

There was a news story today about a meeting proposed Buffalo Central Station as the new high-speed rail station for Buffalo.

There was a news story today about a meeting proposed Buffalo Central Station as the new high-speed rail station for Buffalo.
That would be great. I know there's a non-profit group that has done some minimal work to the station which has at least stabilized the situation and cleaned up the grounds.

That would be great. I know there's a non-profit group that has done some minimal work to the station which has at least stabilized the situation and cleaned up the grounds.
The Central Terminal Restoration Corporation has done a lot more more than just minimal stabilization work. The main concourse is used for lots of special events and conventions - Oktoberfest, Classic Car Show, train hobbyist show, biker conventions, art shows - and even weddings! The hall is clean and has electricity, but no heating or plumbing yet (although I believe some bathrooms will be reconnected soon). There a LOT of work left to do, but the Terminal building is secure, and these events keep money flowing into the restoration projects, and perhaps just as important, keep the building in the public awareness as a useful place with a lot of potential rather than as a derelict ruin.

See for yourself: http://www.buffalocentralterminal.org/

Link to the Buffalo News story about high-speed rail at the terminal. http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregion/story/617241.html

This is really just an idea (as high[er]-speed rail in NY isn't a sure thing), but it would make sense. Central Terminal is on the main line on the way to Chicago whereas the downtown station (enroute to Toronto) isn't. That's why the LSL only stops in Depew rather than at the downtown station and why the Central Terminal was built where it was. In any event, the proposed third track would use the existing ROW from Buffalo to Albany anyway, so CT would be on the route, as long as the high speed line enters the city (and I think it would have to!).

Philzy

Actually, it has been discussed on this forum within the last 1 1/2 years. A link was made at that time to even more pictures than shows in the link you gave.

Search 4/23/08 "Pictures of Detroit Train Station" on here for more pix and discussion.

its the owners fault. he owns the building he has billions of dollars but he won't spend it to rebuild the building so there going to tear it down and charge the owner with the cost.

Looks like Detroit Central's days are numbered.
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...70421&imw=Y
I don't think I've seen an article about a Detroit urban renewal success story in ... well, ever. And I doubt I ever will.
Maybe if you'd put down the chesse steak and read something other than a Philly news rag, you'd find some. Start with the Fox Theater if you really want to learn about Detroit revitalization. Or maybe Greektown. Or the area around Wayne State. Detroit's not dead yet and we don't need a bunch of insular easterners telling us so. And yes I'm originally from Detroit and sick and tired of people that know nothing about the city attacking it.

Looks like Detroit Central's days are numbered.
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...70421&imw=Y
I don't think I've seen an article about a Detroit urban renewal success story in ... well, ever. And I doubt I ever will.
Maybe if you'd put down the chesse steak and read something other than a Philly news rag, you'd find some. Start with the Fox Theater if you really want to learn about Detroit revitalization. Or maybe Greektown. Or the area around Wayne State. Detroit's not dead yet and we don't need a bunch of insular easterners telling us so. And yes I'm originally from Detroit and sick and tired of people that know nothing about the city attacking it.
I agree. I went to Detroit several times last summer and had a wonderful time. I went to a Tiger game with some buddies. We ate at Slow's Bar B Que. Some of the best I have ever had (the mac and cheese is to die for). It is right across the street from the Michigan Central Depot. Still quite a sight even run down like it is. My wife and I also went for our anniversary and felt safe the entire time. Eastern Market is fabulous. Fox Theater. Cheli's Chili. Greektown. Opera House. Westin Book Cadillac. Doubletree Fort Shelby. Open your eyes folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back