Michigan Central Train Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Fort Shelby hotel has been beautifully refurbished, but apparently not all have been paid for the hard work they did to help make the hotel beautiful...at least that seems to be the case according to public record.

Doesn't Detroit have enough problems without big corporations hurting the local talent by not paying for services rendered?

Even the hilton people said how proud they were to have local talent doing the work on the hotel.

The hotel had some kind of big event after it opened and sold over 800 tickets for $200.00 each (according to local news article), the hotel has been booked solid according to other news articles...they would be hard pressed to say that they don't have the funds to pay what is owed. It's ashame they treat local workers this way.

Mark my words, they will regret it if they tear down Central Depot. They tore down the Alvarado station in downtown Albuquerque in 1970 and they never got over it, and this is not a town that particularly treasures older commercial buildings. When they rebuilt the depot in downtown Albuquerque, they made it a mini-replica of the Alvarado. We all know how New York was traumatized by the destruction of Penn Station. Train stations have a hold on people that's really hard to explain.

I'd love to see the upper midwest joined together by a proper HSR system. The need is there, the building costs are moderate and the people appreciate good iron and concrete.

I would like Michigan Central preserved and reused somehow. Unfortunately, Detroit is frequently a city of missed opportunities and saving this station may be one of them.

I'm going to Detroit in a couple of weeks and I will make a point of it to drive by the station. I love to look at that building. I only get to Detroit a couple of times a year but I feel compelled to see the station any time I am there. It will be a black day in the history of Detroit, Michigan, and the country if they tear down that building.

Mark my words, they will regret it if they tear down Central Depot. They tore down the Alvarado station in downtown Albuquerque in 1970 and they never got over it, and this is not a town that particularly treasures older commercial buildings. When they rebuilt the depot in downtown Albuquerque, they made it a mini-replica of the Alvarado. We all know how New York was traumatized by the destruction of Penn Station. Train stations have a hold on people that's really hard to explain.
I'd love to see the upper midwest joined together by a proper HSR system. The need is there, the building costs are moderate and the people appreciate good iron and concrete.
While I agree completely with the sentiment and even the logic, all I can say is if they didn't save downtown Hudson's or in particular Tiger Stadium ( the holy of all holies for most Detroiters of a certain age), Michigan Central doesn't have a prayer. Requiescat in pacem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back