Microwave in Lounge?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'm wondering if there is a microwave in the lounge? I know they sell some items that need to be microwaves. If they do have a microwave...can you only use it for stuff you buy in the lounge. I hate to be a cheapskate, I'm just on a REALLY tight budget. I was thinking of bringing something of my own and using their microwave, but I'm not sure if it's allowed. If not I guess i can just bring cold things.

Plan on the cold things. Health regulations prohibit your use of the microwave.

Yep, only things that are purchased in the lounge can be microwaved. (The attendant microwaves them for you.)

Amtrak wont allow you to warm your own food with their equipment. That would basically be the same as someone taking a steak into a restaurant and asking them to cook it for you. In case if you didn't know, Amtrak wont let you bring your own food into the lounge or dining car to consume. However you can consume your own food and non-alcohol drinks at your seat only.

Lounge car food is really not that expensive, not really anymore then eating at Burger King or Mcdonalds. Figure about $5 for breakfast and $8 for lunch and dinner and you can have a nice sandwhich and soft drink.

Is this still true? Microwaves are unavailable to the public?

Yes, it is still true microwaves on Amtrak trains are unavailable for public use.

How would a mother warm milk for a baby on Amtrak, in that case?
An easy way that does not involve a microwave or stove: use a larger plastic glass (like a big gulp cup), place hot water in it, & add filled bottle. Wait about 1-2 minutes, shake, test, then use. That's how I heated bottles for our kids. Way easy, less risk of overheating.

There isn't a mini-kitchen in the rooms. Hay, this isn't Embassy Suites.

No refridge. No oven. No cooktop. No blender. No toaster.
Maybe not in your room, but you never know what's The_Traveler's suite! :lol:

We bring a cooler. And french press. And.......

(gotta keep hubby happy!)

Generally, the FDA doesn't allow mixing of a food server's food or equipment with customer-brought food. The idea is they don't know how your food was kept or what it's contaminated with.

Thanks! I was just thinking about bringing a few canned, microwavable dinners such as the Chef Boyardee Micro Cups. Guess I won't waste the space!

Maybe not in your room, but you never know what's The_Traveler's suite! :lol:

Hey, I draw the line at the french press!
mad.gif
My personal chef only makes cappuccino!
laugh.gif

Amtrak wont allow you to warm your own food with their equipment. That would basically be the same as someone taking a steak into a restaurant and asking them to cook it for you. In case if you didn't know, Amtrak wont let you bring your own food into the lounge or dining car to consume. However you can consume your own food and non-alcohol drinks at your seat only.

Lounge car food is really not that expensive, not really anymore then eating at Burger King or Mcdonalds. Figure about $5 for breakfast and $8 for lunch and dinner and you can have a nice sandwhich and soft drink.
I completely agree with your post and example. One quick point, Amtrak usually will allow you to bring in personal food and beverages to the upper level of SSL cars.

Generally, the FDA doesn't allow mixing of a food server's food or equipment with customer-brought food. The idea is they don't know how your food was kept or what it's contaminated with.
Our regulatory agencies can't keep our fish, beef, veggies, fruits, or even our peanut butter safe, but by golly they can keep a sealed cup of sterile soup out of our microwaves! Welcome to the era of unexplainable idiocy.

Our regulatory agencies can't keep our fish, beef, veggies, fruits, or even our peanut butter safe, but by golly they can keep a sealed cup of sterile soup out of our microwaves! Welcome to the era of unexplainable idiocy.
oh please... even if it wasn't an FDA requirement it would still be against Amtrak rules. "Hi.. instead of paying for the cup o noodles that you have for sale I would like you to microwave this cup o noodles for me.. and seeing as I'm too cheap to buy a cup o noodles at the snack stand i'm definately not going to give you a tip for your services" Please.

oh please... even if it wasn't an FDA requirement it would still be against Amtrak rules. "Hi.. instead of paying for the cup o noodles that you have for sale I would like you to microwave this cup o noodles for me.. and seeing as I'm too cheap to buy a cup o noodles at the snack stand i'm definately not going to give you a tip for your services" Please.
"Oh, and also, do you happen to have a spoon I can use!"

Over the past several weeks, the posts by doxomni have been somewhat argumentative and somewhat illogical, but if that is what floats his boat, that's fine with me; however the lack of knowledge about the rules and regulations relating to food preparation is quite amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:

Maybe not in your room, but you never know what's The_Traveler's suite!
laugh.gif

French Press, that sandwich thing?
mosking.gif
No, it is a glass container that is used to make coffee. Put the ground coffee in the bottom of the container, add hot water and then insert the "press" - which is a circular piece of metal that you press down and it allows the water to pass through and compresses the ground coffee at the bottom of the container. Let it sit a bit and you have pretty good coffee with very little effort. The only issue I would see on the train is getting water that is hot enough to activate the ground coffee.

It seems odd that you would pick me as an example of someone who's cheap. Or that you didn't seem to realize this would pertain to a self-service microwave. You know, the kind many of us already use at work without issue.

"Oh, and also, do you happen to have a spoon I can use!" Over the past several weeks, the posts by doxomni have been somewhat argumentative and somewhat illogical, but if that is what floats his boat, that's fine with me; however the lack of knowledge about the rules and regulations relating to food preparation is quite amazing.
That imaginary conversation you just quoted sure sounds logical to me. Thanks for the timely demonstration of reasoned debate. :rolleyes:

It seems odd that you would pick me as an example of someone who's cheap. Or that you didn't seem to realize this would pertain to a self-service microwave. You know, the kind many of us already use at work without issue.

"Oh, and also, do you happen to have a spoon I can use!" Over the past several weeks, the posts by doxomni have been somewhat argumentative and somewhat illogical, but if that is what floats his boat, that's fine with me; however the lack of knowledge about the rules and regulations relating to food preparation is quite amazing.
That imaginary conversation you just quoted sure sounds logical to me. Thanks for the timely demonstration of reasoned debate. :rolleyes:
I doubt if your place of work is regulated by the FDA, or that you are in the retail food business, but can you actually imagine someone walking into a convenience store and asking them if it would be OK to use their micro-wave to heat up their cup-o-noodles they bought at the grocery store and then asking for a spoon? Restaurants will sometimes charge a corkage fee to allow you to bring your own bottle of wine into their establishment, to at least make up a bit of lost revenue, but I guarantee they will not cook your store-bought steak for you! Reasoned debate assumes that each side is reasonable. Your assumptions are not reasonable!

Maybe not in your room, but you never know what's The_Traveler's suite!
laugh.gif

French Press, that sandwich thing?
mosking.gif
No, it is a glass container that is used to make coffee. Put the ground coffee in the bottom of the container, add hot water and then insert the "press" - which is a circular piece of metal that you press down and it allows the water to pass through and compresses the ground coffee at the bottom of the container. Let it sit a bit and you have pretty good coffee with very little effort. The only issue I would see on the train is getting water that is hot enough to activate the ground coffee.

I think I prefer the sandwich!!!
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back