Mile-wide club

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Squeakz2001

Service Attendant
I know this is a weird topic, but hubby and I were wondering what, if anything, AMTRAK does when a couple gets jiggy with it on the train. I mean, if they get a roomette or bedroom, do they frown on that sort of stuff? I know the walls and doors are thin.

Hehe, Kim

I'd say that as long as things are kept discreet, there should not be a problem. The tight quarters might also discourage that sort of activity.

That said, about nine years ago I was aboard the Texas Eagle when a woman was removed from the train in Longview, TX and arrested. Her charge was that she was engaging in um, the world's oldest profession aboard the train. So obviously there are limitations! :)

I know this is a weird topic, but hubby and I were wondering what, if anything, AMTRAK does when a couple gets jiggy with it on the train. I mean, if they get a roomette or bedroom, do they frown on that sort of stuff? I know the walls and doors are thin.Hehe, Kim
It's not the most spacious place to make whopee but it is your private space~ have fun.

I know this is a weird topic, but hubby and I were wondering what, if anything, AMTRAK does when a couple gets jiggy with it on the train. I mean, if they get a roomette or bedroom, do they frown on that sort of stuff? I know the walls and doors are thin.

Hehe, Kim
It's not the most spacious place to make whopee but it is your private space~ have fun.
I agree, if you've got a sleeper, then it shouldn't really matter. Obviously loud screaming might not be a good idea, and it might even be good to time things while the train is moving so as to muffle things a bit with track noise. But otherwise it shouldn't matter.

If you're in coach, then that's a horse of a different color.

Kim,

You are now reading from a bonafide member of the "79 MPH Club". If you have a sleeper, get down!!!!! :) Be respectful of your "neighbors", keep the curtains pulled, and if you have kids, make up stuff so they can "get lost" for awhile. Deluxe Bedroom.....plenty of room and a chair too! :) Roomette?!? Well...better not have a husband who played middle linebacker in the NFL or a wife who was in Roller Derby! The roomettes are very small, but...when there's a will.....there's a way!!!!!

Now if your in coach.......better not get caught! Like Alan said, thats a whole new ballgame there!

HeHe. I love this forum!

Well, as everyone knows, my husband never travels with me. But if he did, and if we were in a roomette, well, sure. Why not? Hubby is 6'4", so it would be tough, but like Railrookie said: "where there's a will..."

In coach? Then forget it.

This subject reminds me of my very first trip on Amtrak. The week before my first trip on the CZ we met the Conductor named Lester. He told us about train travel, gave us great tips (my ex-girlfriend and I) and was just plain a great service rep for Amtrak. Lo and behold, the next week when we left LNK for EMY, he was the conductor also. We got onboard in the sleepers and I sheepishly asked him, "so is there anyone in room D tonight, I don't want to be too loud and should we talk in a hushed whisper?" He then took my ex and I out in the hall, threw open the door to room D and said, "you lil' lovebirds can make all the noise you want, when you see the Rocky Mtns. though, you will need to get a tad more quiet since we will be putting two others into this room in DEN." :D We were blushing so bad and he was laughing his rear end off! :D That one conductor helped make that trip alot of fun.

i can say i have never experienced this before in the first person. A few months ago my brother and i got on the pere marquette in st joseph, michigan on our way back to grand rapids. A couple behind us in coach were trying to steal second. They decided that they should find somewhere more private. so they went downstairs into the deluxe bathroom with a changing room. A few minutes later the conductor returned from the cafe and asked where the couple had gone and we told them downstairs. Our conductor decided to head downstairs to inspect for himself, and he was not happy to see what was going on. I did not see the couple the rest of the night. I assume he let them off in holland. I tried asking him what was going on and he replied with a wink and a laugh.

Well that is my experience, and i dont plan to have another, but i guesss what happens on the rails stays on the rails!

There are several clubs, depending on where you are...

The 79MPH Club, for those who travel on the routes outside of the NEC

The Club125 for the NEC crowd... and yes it does happen!

The Club150 for the Acelas...regardless of where on the Acela you have travelled.

BTW, with the larger bathrooms on trains now...almost anything is possible!

Well.....not to overstate the obvious , but.....be sure the curtains and/or shades are drawn and/or pulled down.

Seriously......

For real, people can forget to do these things in the room, esp. if they are traveling for the first time in a sleeper and are not familiar with the gadgets.

And, yes, people can see inside.....so....

I remember, as a child, a dignified-looking well dressed lady was slowly removing every stitch of her clothing in a roomette with the shade all the way up while the train was parked in a station. I guess somebody got her attention, don't remember...I just remember the funny part, and everybody else thought it was funny, also.

Those shades in a roomette out to the hall are easily over looked. Even if you have nothing whatsoever in mind, just don't want everybody to walking down the hall to look at you. you want to stay aware of them.

I grew up riding a different type of roomette when the only way you saw outside in the hall as through the open door. I find those hallway shades a little disconcerting to this day, and sometimes I forget about them.

Last edited by a moderator:
HAHA. That previous post seems like it would scar me for life! We will definately be aware that therer are people around. I dont even want people looking at me while I'm eating :)

And then there is this delightful pre-Amtrak memory from childhood.

I used to go up to porters and/or conductors and say, "I've never been on a train before. May I go in and look around?" They probably got used to me using that line and always said "yes" (I of course knew the schedules and would never ask that if the train was to leave in a few minutes).

Anyway, one afternoon at Chattanooga's Terminal Station (today's "Choo Choo) I boarded the southbound Royal Palm to look around.

I walked into the mid-train lounge. Only one man and one woman were in there...in a few seconds I found out why. They were drunk blitzed out of their skulls.

The man had the woman over his lap, her dress up and his hand...............

Anyway, he yelled "Get the Hell out of here, kid".

I promptly obeyed.

Technically, anywhere on the California Zephyr from the eastern approaches to Denver, in the station, and on the climb out over the Rockies west of town, qualifies for the mile high club, as indeed the elevation is over 5280 feet. As far as I know there isn't any other route on the Amtrak system that qualifies other than perhaps right around Flagstaff, Arizona on the Chief. Marias Pass, Montana, maybe on the Empire Builder, but you'd better be quick about it!

One assumes that to qualify, the transportation venue must be in motion, otherwise perhaps even a porch swing might qualify for those living in the higher elevations of the west????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back