MileTrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Adding in all current Amtrak stations this weekend (and through this coming week) with the help of Tristan. This will be a shared database between MileTrak and the main site... to "kill two birds with one stone".

I have just finished manually entering all 898 Amtrak stations and Thruway stops into a database. The data must now undergo a review process. Once that review process is complete, the new data will be made available to MileTrak development as well as the main website itself.

Anthony said:
I have just finished manually entering all 898 Amtrak stations and Thruway stops into a database. The data must now undergo a review process. Once that review process is complete, the new data will be made available to MileTrak development as well as the main website itself.
Sounds good. :)

Anthony said:
Can't wait. :D

If you think entering stations takes a long time, envision how long routes and their individual stops and mileages take! :p

Viewliner said:
I think by date would be a better default, as it's probably how most people want to see it.
You know, I was looking at my own trip database, and I left a lot of dates "blank". This renders date sorting a bit awkward because all of the blank date entries are put at the top, before all of the real dates are sorted (since a blank date looks like a zero).

Date sorting will definitely be available, as a preference even so that you won't have to set it again - but armed with this new point to ponder, I almost wonder if leaving it as default "order entered" will be a better idea in the long run.

Sorting it by date or putting it a users desired order keeps the trips organized in my opinion. It is annyoing when you forget to enter a trip and when you put it in it is at the bottom of the list.

Amfleet said:
Sorting it by date or putting it a users desired order keeps the trips organized in my opinion. It is annyoing when you forget to enter a trip and when you put it in it is at the bottom of the list.
I agree.

Tristan and I have completed all of Amtrak's current routes (correctly, this time...), and now we're going over everything before they are made available to development.

Discontinued routes will come later, with the Desert Wind and Pioneer most likely first.

Anthony said:
Tristan and I have completed all of Amtrak's current routes (correctly, this time...), and now we're going over everything before they are made available to development.
Discontinued routes will come later, with the Desert Wind and Pioneer most likely first.
Great, How long do you think it will take to check it? B) :rolleyes: :D

Tristan already checked all of his... I'm about halfway through mine. There are a few more things that are left to be done with the main application, so I wanted to get all of the route/mileage stuff out of the way as soon as possible, in order to make way for the finishing touches.

Amfleet said:
So trains like Northeast Direct will not be avalible right away?
All of our route changes are being made in advance to support the release of the new, upcoming MileTrak application. I don't plan on supporting the old application any further, as that would require diverting attention from the new one.

One of my prerequisites to releasing a new application of the sort is that all data needs to be fully revised, and most importantly, complete. I have had to provide for many contingencies such as recalculating portions of newly added routes, due to mileage inconsistencies in the timetables. It has been quite the ordeal with almost a thousand service locations to enter, not to mention having to decipher the circuitous manner in which many through cars and corridor routes operate. :blink:

Tristan and I have taken all of this in stride because accurate and complete data is paramount to such a thing as rail mileage calculation. Nobody would be able to realize all of the great benefits of my writing a new, revised program, if the data were outdated, incomplete, or erroneous. For this reason, we decided to re-enter everything from scratch, disposing of all old data from 2001 - ensuring the success of what is to come.

Anthony, there is also one other problem with the current miletrak, in that the Silver Star's route adds 42 additional miles to trips (thats why in the schedule it says *Milage via Columbia), and the Palmetto also has more milage that the Amtrak Timetable doesn't show. If you could at least fix the Silver Star I would be appreciative.

Viewliner said:
Anthony, there is also one other problem with the current miletrak, in that the Silver Star's route adds 42 additional miles to trips (thats why in the schedule it says *Milage via Columbia), and the Palmetto also has more milage that the Amtrak Timetable doesn't show. If you could at least fix the Silver Star I would be appreciative.
Like I said, all mileage has been entered correctly this time :)

The Silver Service is one I particularly labored over. It's all in the new route data. The "unshown" mileage data is fixed, as well as the Star through Columbia.

I'm out in California right now and am anticipating more down time/travel time over the next few weeks, so I'll see what I can do about more application work.

Viewliner said:
Anthony, don't worry, enjoy the down time, I just wanted to make sure that issue was addressed.
Thanks for bringing it up - being out on the West coast, some of those little mileage intricacies aren't always so evident.

Viewliner said:
Umm just as an FYI it's 15 miles from LAK to WTH on Palmetto bug.

battalion51 said:
Viewliner said:
Anthony, there is also one other problem with the current miletrak, in that the Silver Star's route adds 42 additional miles to trips (thats why in the schedule it says *Milage via Columbia), and the Palmetto also has more milage that the Amtrak Timetable doesn't show.  If you could at least fix the Silver Star I would be appreciative.
Umm just as an FYI it's 15 miles from LAK to WTH on Palmetto bug.
You sure it's exactly 15? I came up with 18 from Amtrak publications.

It's hard to say, there is no calculation from my source on exactly how long the McDonald conncetion is (connection track from the Auburndale Sub to the Carters Sub). But to the best of my calculations it's 15-16 miles.

battalion51 said:
It's hard to say, there is no calculation from my source on exactly how long the McDonald conncetion is (connection track from the Auburndale Sub to the Carters Sub). But to the best of my calculations it's 15-16 miles.
Thanks for the insight. I think I'll stick with Amtrak's estimates simply to be consistent, since their data is what the other routes are based on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back