Milwaukee Airport Amtrak station to open Jan. 18

• Thread starter Guest_Fan_Trains
  • Start date
Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Guest_Fan_Trains

From Trains.com:

MILWAUKEE, Wis. - Amtrak has announced that the new station at General Mitchell International Airport, on the far side of Milwaukee,will open on Tuesday, January 18. The new facility will not be staffed, but fares can be paid on-board the trains without an extra charg. A free shuttle van will operate between the airport terminal, less than a mile to the east, and the railroad station. Paid parking is available at the station, off South 6th Street next to the airport freeway spur from Interstate 94.

here is the link:

http://www.trains.com/Content/Dynamic/Arti...05/653ivosq.asp

Once again, can we stop this linking to another story on another site, unless you have a discussion you'd like to bring up, unless it's late breaking news such as derailments, accidents, etc.

The Milwaukee stop has been added to the station list for Amtrak on-line booking. The fare to Chicago will be $20 with seven departures Monday to Saturday; six on Sunday.

I think it is interesting that Amtrak does not see fit to promote this station on their home web page. I would consider the addition of a new station to be served by 14 trains a day to be a significant event sufficient to be flagged as “news” on the home page. They could even work some sort of deal with Midwest Airlines (Milwaukee’s hub operation and an Amtrak Guest Rewards partner) to promote intermodal trips through MKE (MKA in Am-speak). Maybe a codeshare arrangement to Chicago? Or how about double Midwest miles for an Amtrak connection? But, at least right now, the event is basically a non-event. Maybe when we get closer to the actual opening date (it is only 10 days from now)?

Amtrak’s consistently shows a nearly total lack of any marketing skills.

It is possible they are waiting to start promoting this until the ribbon is cut. Remember this station should've been ready to go in November IIRC, or December at the earliest.

battalion51 said:
It is possible they are waiting to start promoting this until the ribbon is cut. Remember this station should've been ready to go in November IIRC, or December at the earliest.
But they wanted to make sure I was out of town before opening, so I wouldn't cause any trouble at the opening ceremony!

It looks like they don't plan to stop the Empire Builder at this station. I think they should. For people like me who want to travel west, flying into Mitchell and getting directly on #7 would be a huge convenience. As it looks right now, I would have to ride into Milwaukee, and then board the Builder. I think Amtrak should seriously consider this, especially if they are looking into a possible codeshare with Midwest Airlines.

I guess the idea is that generally, people traveling on long-distance trains wouldn't fly part way and then catch a train the rest of the way (or vice versa). I don't think any LD trains stop at Newark Airport or BWI either.

It can be an inconvenience, for sure. But Amtrak would also have to deal with angry travelers going the other way if the Empire Builder is late (such as it was on Friday, arriving 6.5 hours late into Chicago), and they'd probably whine to the crew about missing their flight.

rmadisonwi said:
I guess the idea is that generally, people traveling on long-distance trains wouldn't fly part way and then catch a train the rest of the way (or vice versa). I don't think any LD trains stop at Newark Airport or BWI either.
Well, I think that people would fly part way and ride a LD train part way if only they knew it was possible. I think Amtrak should partner with an airline, such as Midwest, and give it a try. Midwest could add a whole slew of out-of-the-way cities to their flight system, and take people there by flying them into a rail/airport, and sending them the rest of the way on the train.

Unfortunately, you're right about the mess it would cause when trains run hours and hours late. That may be the single biggest problem in setting up future codeshares.

One thing I've noticed about rail-air connections is that you only see them where there are multiple departures of the same service at the station. Milwaukee and Newark ore both perfect examples, multiple trains going in either direction to the same end point, that is not the case for the EB, as there is one train for Seattle/Portland per day.

Yeah I'd like to see the Builder stop at the airport too. But, I do see the logic in not having it stop there. I've flown into MKE several times to catch the Builder up to the North Dakota. Many times I've flown to MSP as well to catch it there. One problem is the airport to station connection which can be confusing. I finally figured out the Hiawatha line in Minneapolis to get to the station which is out in the middle of St. Paul. Thats another problem: Amtrak stations being out in the middle of the industrial parts of the city, where its hard to reach by public transportation. But this is a topic for a different thread.

Those of you talking about airline codeshare with Amtrak, don't forget their deals with United. Flying there and taking the train back. Not sure if that deal still exists. And also the codeshare with Continental. I know this isn't for LD trains, and only serves a few routes, but it still counts. First air-rail codeshare agreement thats ever been done even.

I think

Chris

Conrail said:
what trains will run through and what frieght rr
Only the Empire Builder will run through. All Hiawathas (14 M-Sa, 12 on Sunday) will stop at MKA.

It is on the Canadian Pacific Railway Chicago & Milwaukee sub. Approximately MP. 78-ish.

Saxman66 said:
Those of you talking about airline codeshare with Amtrak, don't forget their deals with United. Flying there and taking the train back. Not sure if that deal still exists.
To the best of my knowledge, that deal died when Amtrak Vacations (a.k.a. Private Label Travel) died.

Anybody that wants to fly to MKE and catch the Empire Builder can also ride MCTS route 80 to from the terminal 6th & Clybourn (one block south of the location of the former North Shore Line depot), walk one block east and one block south, and you're there. Of course, I'm doubting *too* many people would do that.

Back