Mini-Gathering in San Francisco

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

p&sr

OBS Chief
On Monday, I heard from Alice of Oroville that Saxman66 would be arriving that afternoon on the California Zephyr to Martinez, where she would be hosting him during his stay in the Bay Area. She was thinking of a full day's outing for him around the Bay, to include Rail Transit, Ferry Boats, Cable Cars, and so forth. She asked if I could offer any good suggestions as a "local guide". I said Sure, but I'd have to be there to see it done up just right. OK, she said, so we arranged to rendez-vous at the Martinez Station the next Morning to discover just what we could put together.

That Tuesday Morning at home, we set the Alarms early, to allow for our customary Coffee & Toast. Out before dawn, my Travel Companion "Moonlight Express" dropped me off in time for the day's first Amtrak Bus through our hometown.

Heading out into the darkness, there were fine views of the Full Moon setting in the West... bright silver at first, and then pumpkin-colored. From the hill by Sear's Point, I could see the lights of San Francisco, assuring us of a clear day with no fog over the Bay. As we approached Benicia, I watched the 7:30 Capitol Corridor Train winding its way west along the far shores of Carquinez Straits. Crossing the Bridge from Benicia to Martinez, there was a crystal-clear view of the Sierra Nevada, past miles of marshland and open country, indicating a day of spectacular clarity.

We pulled in to the Station at 7:40, where I purchased my tickets (including for the Bus Ride I had just taken) and reclaimed my driver's license (required by the Bus Driver as a deposit). Stepping outside, I met Alice and Saxman and together we caught up on the day's plans. We had a good AAA Map of the Bay Area to assist with our planning. I headed in for a fresh Blueberry Muffin at the Station's Snack-Bar, then we watched the arrival and departure of the southbound Coast Starlight, running just slightly behind schedule.

We caught the 8:25 AM Capitol Corridor Train (running a modified schedule because of Track Work in the Central Valley), where Saxman joined me in a hotdog-&-Pepsi breakfast on board. Views were outstanding, including the RailRoad Drawbridge over the Straits, and Mt. Diablo beyond the Town of Martinez. At Vallejo we saw the training ship "Golden Bear" at the Maritime Academy. We followed the shores of the Bay until Richmond, where we saw the north terminus of the BART system. Returning to the shore again, we got fine views of San Francisco and the Golden Gate Bridge from the Aquatic Park in Berkeley.

While stopped in Emeryville, we saw the arrival of the Zephyr, ready to begin its daily trip to Chicago. Passing through the Yards in West Oakland, we saw the historic Amtrak Station there, crossed the BART line to the City, and saw the Amtrak yards with several California Trains awaiting deployment. Approaching Jack London Square, we ran down the center of the street for several blocks, arriving on time about 9:13 AM.

We walked around that area, watching several Trains coming and going. At the foot of Broadway, we visited two Tall Ships from Gray's Harbor, Washington... the Brig "Lady Washington" (112 ft long, carrying 4400 sq.ft. of sail) and the Square-Topsail Ketch "Hawaiian Cheftain" (106 ft long, carrying 4050 sq.ft. of sail). After some more exploring, we sat on the outdoor balcony at Starbucks (inside Barnes & Noble's) for views of both the water (with several large yachts cruising by) and the Tracks.

Continuing on past the California Canoe & Kayak Shop, we followed the trail by the waterfront over to the Ferry Landing. We were in good time for the 11 AM departure to San Francisco. There was a lot of activity in the Port of Oakland, loading and unloading of container-cargo ships. Out in the channel, we again saw both of the Tall Ships, cruising with a full load of School Children out on a field-trip. Passing Yerba Buena Island and going under the Bay Bridge, we docked briefly at the Ferry Building, then headed up along the Waterfront to Fisherman's Wharf. Passing Pier 39, we saw the Tourists all lined up watching the Sea Lions, who were watching them in turn.

Once on shore, we saw one of the original Rail-Ferry landings, with tracks still in place, then saw the USS Pompano (WWII Submarine) and Liberty Ship Jeremiah O'Brian at their docks. Inside the building right next to them is the Mechanical Museum, a collection of 19th Century Coin-Operated Marvels. Prominent among them are a number of player-pianos which also include percussion and some organ pipes. We enjoyed operating several of the devices, and spoke with a member of the Staff who told us about the 40 years he has spent preserving and restoring many of the exhibits.

Continuing on, we came to the Restaurant area. An inside passageway brought us to the actual harbor for the fishing boats, next to which we found Tarantino's Restaurant. We all ordered the "New England Style" Clam Chowder served in a Sourdough Bowl, which we enjoyed seated outdoors right next to the Heritage Streetcar line. After lunch, Saxman and I rode the Cable Cars. We each bought a day-pass for $11 (unlimited use of Cable Cars, Street Cars, Muni Busses, and whatever else), then boarded at the Hyde Street Turntable. Outstanding views over the water, including Alcatraz and Angel Island, Sausalito and Tiburon, and the Golden Gate Bridge. Climbing over Russian Hill (past the winding section of Lombard St), we arrived at the Cable Car Museum, where we stepped off.

The Museum includes the actual operating machinery for the whole Cable Car system, with excellent exhibits and descriptions (And it is free!). From an underground vault, we could see the cables streaming out on their respective routes. Upstairs, we saw the huge electric motors driving each of the four separate cables. There were historical exhibits including a couple of original Cable Cars, plus the story of the system's Preservation and Restoration. They mentioned that in about 1890, there were eight different companies in San Francisco operating Cable Cars over a system with 75 miles of Track! Before the days of Electric Streetcars, they were invented to prevent Horse-Pulled Cars from slipping on the steep streets of the City.

Stepping outside, we peered into the Cable Car Barn where the Cars are repaired and parked overnight. Then we caught the next Car for downtown. Initially we had to hold on standing up outside, but after a couple of blocks we again found good seats... right at the front, facing left on the outside for the best views. We climbed over Knob Hill beneath the Hotel Fairmont, then down to Union Square and the St. Francis Hotel. Both of these Hotels are well-known for their outside glass elevators, which give great views of the area.

When we arrived at Market Street, we stepped off and got in line for the return Trip. Again we got good seats, as the crowds were very light on this Winter Weekday. Again we climbed the hills and passed the familiar landmarks and enjoyed all the views. A final steep descent returned us to Hyde Street. We headed down to the Pier there where the Maritime Historical Park is located. They have the 1886 square-rigged ship Balclutha, the Bay Ferry Eureka, and several other exhibits, including the stern Paddle-Wheel from the Steamer Petaluma, the last Riverboat to be active on San Francisco Bay.

We called Alice to set up a rendez-vous, and found she was nearby watching the Cable Cars. Together again, we decided there was still time for a Trip to San Jose. Hoping to leave town on the next train out, we scurried over to Jones Street to catch the Heritage Streetcar. This took us back through the Fisherman's Wharf area, past where our Ferry had landed, and past Pier 39. Heading down the Embarcadero, we saw the 50's style "Fog City Diner" and the tents for the Circus Zinzano Dinner Theatre. Across from the Ferry Building we saw the Hyatt Regency Hotel (which has an indoor glass elevator rising through their multi-story atrium), and the San Francisco RailRoad Museum (which covers the history of Rail Transit in the City). We passed the California Street Cable Cars, then headed up the Urban Canyons of Market Street and through the Financial District, getting off at Powell where we transferred to the Muni Subway.

We caught a car for the T-Third Street line, which surfaced just south of Market Street with great views of the Bay, the Bay Bridge overhead, Yerba Buena Island, and the East Bay Hills. We rode past a small Marina and the new Baseball Stadium, then stepped off just across from the Caltrain Depot at 4th and King. We purchased our tickets and found we were in good time for the 3:35 run to San Jose. Pulling out from the Depot, we saw a canal with Houseboats, then crossed the industrial section of the City, with several tunnels. All the way down the Peninsula there were fine views across the Bay, with Mount Diablo beyond. Besides some U.P. equipment, we saw an engine from the former "Cotton Belt", and another one labeled "Southern Pacific". Passing the Airport (SFO), we saw the "people-movers" in use, and at the Millbrae Station several BART trains were coming and going. Along our Tracks to the south, there were several patches of Golden Poppies in bloom, our State Flower.

At Mountain View we saw the terminus for the San Jose Light-Rail. Passing the San Jose Airport and the HP-Pavilion, we arrived at the San Jose Station right at 5:00 as scheduled. Inside, we purchased our return tickets to Martinez for the Capitol Corridor, and enjoyed a snack at the Station's Snack-Bar. We walked around to get views of the classic Station, and took the pedestrian tunnel which connects to the Light-Rail Station there.

We saw several Caltrains arriving and departing, and the ACE train leaving the Station. We then boarded our 5:50 Train to Martinez. We retraced our steps as far as the junction in Santa Clara, then headed North-East. After the little town of Alviso, we began crossing the Marshlands at the Southern Tip of San Francisco Bay. We saw the remains of "Drawbridge", which is an official ghost-town with a colorful history. The views of the surrounding hills (including Mt. Hamilton and the Lick Observatory) were unsurpassed. The yellow Mustard blooming in the fields reminded me of home, where the Mustard blooms in the Vineyards.

We passed the mountain of Salt at the Leslie Plant, and in Newark turned right to stop at the little historical Depot of Fremont-Centerville. This is part of the original Trans-Continental Rail Route, when it was extended by the Central Pacific from Sacramento to San Francisco via San Jose. The sign over the Depot makes the precise proclamation that Ogden Utah is exactly 799 and 4/10 miles away.

Crossing the BART tracks near their southern terminus in Fremont, we turned left at the mouth of Niles Canyon. This is where several routes intersect, including the Niles Canyon Historic Train which runs from there to Sunol. Heading north from there, we passed Hayward and the Oakland Coliseum (with its new BART connection), and arrived at Jack London Square just before Sunset. We saw the Tall Ships again (back at their dock), and the newly-arrived Zephyr parked in the Oakland Yards. Further on in West Oakland we saw a bright red locomotive from the KATY Railroad... "M.K.T." (which is Missouri-Kansas-Texas).

Just past Emeryville there was a perfect panorama with Mt. Tamalpais and the hills of Marin County and San Francisco itself appearing as purple silhouettes framing the Golden Gate Bridge. The waters rippled with orange against a turquoise sky. By San Pablo Bay we saw the Full Moon rising, and over Carquinez Strait we saw the moonlight reflected on the Waters. The Martinez area was lit up by the sparkling lights of the near-by Refineries, and as we stepped off the Train we saw the Planet Venus high in the Western Sky.

Bidding farewell to my Travel Companions, I set out on foot to inspect the Beaver Dam and Lodge in Downtown Martinez. Things looked pretty quiet just then, but a couple of folks with flashlights assured me they had just seen one of the Beavers. Watching another three California Trains pulling in to the Station, I then boarded my homeward Bus for the North Bay. On arrival I found my wonderful Moonlight Express waiting to bring me home.

For Alice... Until next time! For Saxman66, I wish him well on all his continuing adventures. Now he has seen a good portion of what the Bay Area has to offer for Railfans. And he has met an authentic California Character... two of them, in fact!

Nice report, and y'all clearly had a great time. Thanks, p&sr! Saxman66 (Chris 3 from the L.A. Gathering) is headed my way soon, and hopefully we'll do some riding and other stuff.

One thing: "We each bought a day-pass for $11 (unlimited use of Cable Cars, Street Cars, Muni Busses, and whatever else)"

Folks should be aware that with the MUNI passes - available for various lengths - "whatever else" does NOT include BART.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great report p&sr! You know just about every landmark there is out there. I almost felt I was there along with you while reading your report. Wait a sec.... :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back