Minneapolis to Toronto: Rolling Fiasco

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The truly curious part of this equation is Canada. To my understanding most Canadians are not nearly as fearful of potential security threats as average US citizens are. From what I've read most Canadians are generally pretty relaxed about security concerns. So why is Canada's government taking such a hard line on border security? Maybe it's part of the current government's attempt to solidify their ideological bona fides. Maybe it's because they want to win points with the US government and help promote our cooperation on other controversial projects (such as Keystone XL) by following our lead or even expanding upon it. Maybe a little of both?
Our government takes such a hard line on border security because yours does. As a US citizen you don't need a passport to enter Canada, but because of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative implemented by the US governement in 2007, a US citizen needs a passport to re-enter the States. So essentially, we're not going to let you enter Canada if you can't get back into the States.

As to why Canadians aren't as fearful of potential security threats as the average US citizen - we have no reason to be. It may be boring and cold up here but I don't lie awake at night fearing retaliation from some country we've recently invaded.

Here's the fun part. How to predict when the 60 percent will be. Cuz if you're in the 40 percent, for you that's ONE HUNDRED PERCENT. Your vacation could be ruined. Too bad there isn't an automatic percentage refund for being in the 40 percent. Meaning if you're late, they haven't done the job you paid for. So you should definitely get a discounted rate.
You can't predict. That is why it is a probability and not a list of delays for each day with certainty.

Just like "if you're in the 40 percent, for you that's ONE HUNDRED PERCENT", it is also "if you're in the 60 percent, for you that's ZERO PERCENT". So that statement in general is a non-sequeter which says, if you are delayed then you are delayed, and if you are on time, you are on time.

Certain high speed railroads actually have a refund policy. AVE in Spain had a full refund policy if the train was delayed more than some rather small amount of time like one or two hours, I forget.

Whether you should get a discount or not is subject of the contract of transportation that you have with Amtrak or indeed any transportation company, as spelled out implicitly or explicitly as part of your ticket. You are free not to purchase tickets if the conditions are not upto your requirements/expectations.

Your vacation could be ruined.
Geez, if a late train is going to ruin your vacation, you ought not to ride Amtrak, or take precautions, as I did on virtually the same routing as yours. Just like if enduring pointless security theater will ruin your vacation you ought not to fly, and if driving on the Tri-State Tollway is going to drive you into a homicidal rage, you ought not to drive in Chicagoland.

I'd understand your attitude if this were your first Amtrak trip, but I am under the impression that it isn't. I've long since given up being upset about things I can't change. It seems to me that complaining about late trains and brusk customer service with Amtrak is sort of like complaining at an opera that there is lots of singing. It sort of comes with the territory.

You are free not to purchase tickets if the conditions are not up to your requirements/expectations.
I couldn't improve on this. (Well, except to add a space.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd understand your attitude if this were your first Amtrak trip, but I am under the impression that it isn't. I've long since given up being upset about things I can't change. It seems to me that complaining about late trains and brusk customer service with Amtrak is sort of like complaining at an opera that there is lots of singing. It sort of comes with the territory.
Why is thinking, "well geez, that's just the way it is" acceptable whether it's a person's first, second, or 1,000th Amtrak trip? Yes, there are advantages and disadvantages to every form of transportation but that doesn't mean people shouldn't ever be upset when things go sideways. We're all fans of rail travel otherwise we wouldn't frequent this forum but I see way too much rationalizing away of Amtrak's deficiencies. No one should have to pad an extra 2 days into their travel plans.

More recent article:
What that article overlooks is that the NEC, the Keystones, and the Empire corridor trains have been pretty well on on-time performance this year. The investments in recent years in the NEC and connected corridors are paying off.

The LD trains were doing a lot better overall earlier this year, but weather, increased freight traffic, and spring-summer seasonal track work have been problems recently. The article is correct, we do need more investment in track maintenance and upgrades for the corridor and LD trains. Some of the needed investment is coming with the billions in HSIPR grants along with state funding that is resulting in construction projects for track maintenance, upgrades, fixing of bottlenecks on Amtrak routes. One problem is that many of the construction projects will result in additional delays for the Amtrak trains until the project is completed. But there are many more track improvement and upgrade projects that need to be done, but until there is funding, the project stays on the to do someday list.

Why is thinking, "well geez, that's just the way it is" acceptable whether it's a person's first, second, or 1,000th Amtrak trip? Yes, there are advantages and disadvantages to every form of transportation but that doesn't mean people shouldn't ever be upset when things go sideways. We're all fans of rail travel otherwise we wouldn't frequent this forum but I see way too much rationalizing away of Amtrak's deficiencies. No one should have to pad an extra 2 days into their travel plans.
First of all let me make it clear that I do not condone the miserable situation of some Amtrak trains' time keeping.

Having said that the issue about whether one will pad two days or not is a matter of risk mitigation, that is not peculiar to Amtrak. Similar situations are faced on international flights and there have been situations where I have been delayed 24 hours or more due to mechanical on travel from Newark to Singapore. Do I pad to account for that? Specially going on vacation, indeed I do, to cover the off chance because afterall Singapore isn't that bad a place to hang out in. I have done day long padding in Chicago on Amtrak on one occasion too, and on another occasions Amtrak provided for one night. But in most cases connections are made. The number of nights I have spent in Denver due to either missed connection to Salt Lake City runs into several dozen. So stuff like that happens.

In my mind it is not a question of rationalizing Amtrak's deficiencies but mitigating known realities. Howling on AU for a million years will not cause Amtrak to run any differently. More than two thirds of the delays on LD trains is well beyond their immediate control. I think that is the point that some of us are indirectly making, and as an alternative providing suggestions to work around the reality that is Amtrak. Of course one way to work around it is to not use it too.

Amtrak figures for Lake Shore Limited

Lake Shore Limited On-Time Performance

Major Cities Served

New York/Boston - Albany - Chicago

On-Time Performance (Route)

May 2012 Last 12 Months

61.3% 85.0%

Here's the fun part. How to predict when the 60 percent will be. Cuz if you're in the 40 percent, for you that's ONE HUNDRED PERCENT. Your vacation could be ruined. Too bad there isn't an automatic percentage refund for being in the 40 percent. Meaning if you're late, they haven't done the job you paid for. So you should definitely get a discounted rate.
Technically, you still got what you paid for, per Amtrak's Terms of Transportation. Specifically, in the Disclaimer of Liability:

Amtrak further specifically disclaims liability for any inconvenience, expense, or damages, incidental, consequential, punitive, lost profits, loss business or otherwise, resulting from errors in its timetable, shortages of equipment, or due to delayed trains, except when such delay causes a passenger to miss an Amtrak train guaranteed connection. When a guaranteed Amtrak train connection is missed, Amtrak will provide passenger with alternate transportation on Amtrak, another carrier, or provide overnight hotel accommodations, at Amtrak's sole discretion, but only when such circumstances resulted from the actions of Amtrak and this shall constitute Amtrak's sole liability and passenger's sole and exclusive remedy. Some states may not allow the exclusion of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you.

Now, if you're majorly delayed, should they offer some compensation as a courtesy (or to buy goodwill, so to speak)? Possibly (I'd argue they should if there was a major delay...no less than two hours late to your final destination.) But you paid for transportation from point A to point B. (By the way, this is standard across the transportation industry.)

Haha! Well, that's find just so long as prospective travelers REALIZE that "this is what you're paying for", i.e., 60 percent ontime performance. Say, do they PUT that in their advertizing? Do they emphasize "this is what you are paying for?" Nope. They "run it like business", which means put the burden on your customers to find out if they are being screwed. But, guess what, all you apologists. That is why WE (or should I even include you?) need to use cyberspace to fill the holes that business leaves, the ones that are really ANNOYING when you're out the money.

Amtrak figures for Lake Shore Limited

Lake Shore Limited On-Time Performance

Major Cities Served

New York/Boston - Albany - Chicago

On-Time Performance (Route)

May 2012 Last 12 Months

61.3% 85.0%

Technically, you still got what you paid for, per Amtrak's Terms of Transportation. Specifically, in the Disclaimer of Liability:

Amtrak further specifically disclaims liability for any inconvenience, expense, or damages, incidental, consequential, punitive, lost profits, loss business or otherwise, resulting from errors in its timetable, shortages of equipment, or due to delayed trains, except when such delay causes a passenger to miss an Amtrak train guaranteed connection. When a guaranteed Amtrak train connection is missed, Amtrak will provide passenger with alternate transportation on Amtrak, another carrier, or provide overnight hotel accommodations, at Amtrak's sole discretion, but only when such circumstances resulted from the actions of Amtrak and this shall constitute Amtrak's sole liability and passenger's sole and exclusive remedy. Some states may not allow the exclusion of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you.

Now, if you're majorly delayed, should they offer some compensation as a courtesy (or to buy goodwill, so to speak)? Possibly (I'd argue they should if there was a major delay...no less than two hours late to your final destination.) But you paid for transportation from point A to point B. (By the way, this is standard across the transportation industry.)

Haha! Well, that's find just so long as prospective travelers REALIZE that "this is what you're paying for", i.e., 60 percent ontime performance. Say, do they PUT that in their advertizing? Do they emphasize "this is what you are paying for?" Nope. They "run it like business", which means put the burden on your customers to find out if they are being screwed. But, guess what, all you apologists. That is why WE (or should I even include you?) need to use cyberspace to fill the holes that business leaves, the ones that are really ANNOYING when you're out the money.
Just sounds like they are running it like the airlines...I hadn't noticed they are particularly helpful when they screw up your travel plans. Less helpful than Amtrak, actually.

Some years ago, AA had mechanical issues on the initial leg of our trip SEA-MCO. They could not reaccomodate us for 3 DAYS! And because it was at the origination, they didn't offer squat. Nada.

Not saying the Amtrak should aspire to such heights of customer service, but they are by no means the exception and are generally more accomodating than airlines when plans go awry.

But, guess what, all you apologists.
Not apologists, realists.

Also, congrats on cherry picking the worst possible number out of all of the data that has been brought to the table to date. That same train has 85% OTP over the last year, but I don't hear you trumpeting that number in every post.
I'd also argue that the immediacy is different for a LD train than for either an airline or for Amtrak's corridor services (which do have a much better OTP.) If I'm on a three-hour flight (or corridor run), I expect to get there close to the scheduled arrival time, give or take 15 minutes, maybe up to a half-hour to hour if I'm feeling generous. After all, these services tend to be marketed much more to the business sector (Acela advertising, anyone?)

LD trains tend to be advertised by Amtrak not as direct competition to the airlines, but as a relaxing way to get to your destination, or to "start your vacation on the train". After all, if I'm on the train for 25 hours, time is not priority number 1. It may be saving money, seeing the scenery, saving the environment (as Amtrak touts, anyways), or something else. But more than likely, I'll have enough flexibility at my destination where being a few hours (or maybe even a day, if I have multiple connections) late may be inconvenient, but not ruin the trip.

Yes, if I'm late, I expect Amtrak to take care of me until I get there. After all, I didn't ask to miss that connection and have to spend a day in Chicago, so it's fair for them to offer me a hotel room and stipend. I may even call them after the trip and ask for some credit or partial refund due to the delay (which, apparently, you never seemed to do as far as I can tell). But when you're already on the tracks for two or three days, an extra day is still only a 33-50% time delay (the same, by percentage of time, as a two-hour flight arriving 40 minutes to an hour late.) Inconvenient, yes, but if you're that pressed for time, I would suggest flying.

On the light rail in the Twin Cities, transit cops use their cell phones for scanning, so yes, this is totally a technically feasible option.
So driver licenses in Montana have RFID chips in them?

I didn't think that any state, save those with Enhanced licenses had that.

While not dangerous, I've seen the CBSA catch a mother trying to slip over the border illegally with her kid. She only had a copy of her daughter's birth certificate with her, not the original. And her story wasn't very convincing IMHO and I'm not even trained. Needless to say, they took them off the train and returned them to the US.
I don't see how taking everyone off the train would make this photocopy holding criminal any easier to catch. Why wouldn't they have been able to figure this out on the train?
It doesn't! And that part of my post had nothing to do with taking people off the train. It was directed at the comment that they don't catch anyone.

And I've seen others taken off the trains before, never to return. I don't know what they did or didn't do, but they do catch people.
Well, I would hope that we would judge their success by who is actually a threat, rather than just whoever they happen to take away to god only knows where for god only knows why.
Which is why I included the part that you seem to have ignored, that bit about not knowing what the people being led away did.

All that said, I do have to say that I think it odd that two country's that consider themselves to be good friends and allies have managed to make crossing the border harder than ever, while in most of Europe now one can travel unimpeded between many countries.
I think you just hit the nail on the head. The ability to move freely was once a fundamental goal of Western European people and North American people alike. In the case of Europe this goal remains intact and in fact has been strengthened over time. While here in the US the ability to move freely is seen less and less as a fundamental right after 9/11. Instead free movement (and indeed free will) is in many ways seen more and more as a potential threat to our safety. Or at least that's how it is portrayed to us by those who endeavor to restrict it.

The truly curious part of this equation is Canada. To my understanding most Canadians are not nearly as fearful of potential security threats as average US citizens are. From what I've read most Canadians are generally pretty relaxed about security concerns. So why is Canada's government taking such a hard line on border security? Maybe it's part of the current government's attempt to solidify their ideological bona fides. Maybe it's because they want to win points with the US government and help promote our cooperation on other controversial projects (such as Keystone XL) by following our lead or even expanding upon it. Maybe a little of both?
It seems to be the fashion, trend, tit-for-tat, whatever one wishes to call it, that whatever the US does, Canada reciprocates. It was the US that decided that birth certificates would no longer be valid for crossing into the US. So Canada decided that if Canadian's couldn't come into the US with a birth cert & photo ID, that American's couldn't come to Canada with the a birth cert.

On the light rail in the Twin Cities, transit cops use their cell phones for scanning, so yes, this is totally a technically feasible option.
You know, you just confirmed a midwesterner's prejudice against New Yorkers. I think that you meant "Minnesota," not "Montana."

And for what it's worth, The Man has only ever scanned my GoPass (sort of like what New Yorkers call a Charlie Card), not my driver's license.

You know, you just confirmed a midwesterner's prejudice against New Yorkers. I think that you meant "Minnesota," not "Montana."
Hah!

Sorry! And I knew better too, guess I've had too much wine. I know where that light rail line is, often posting in the local papers in support of it, putting out the facts about it to counter some of the nonsense that often gets posted in the comments section.

A momentary lapse of reason. Sorry! :(

There are smartphone apps and add-on hardware that can read and capture driver's license data. It does not require a RFID chip.

And for what it's worth, The Man has only ever scanned my GoPass (sort of like what New Yorkers call a Charlie Card), not my driver's license.
They're scanning Go-To Cards now? When did that change over? (Last time I had my Go-To Card checked on the light rail, which admittedly was last year, I just showed my card to them...they never scanned or checked it on anything. And I've never had my fare checked the few times I've been on the Northstar.)

There are smartphone apps and add-on hardware that can read and capture driver's license data. It does not require a RFID chip.
Agreed.

However, to cross the border you need something with an RFID chip in it and a computer screen to read the information that it can bring up. The NY State Enhanced License as well as other States that offer it, Passports, Passport Card, all have RFID chips in them. When properly scanned, that chip links the officer to all the information provided by that traveler at the time that they applied for and got that travel document.

So far at least, I don't believe that there is an App for that.

Therefore when I cross the border on the Leaf or the Cascades, the officer can see all the documents that were scanned when I applied for my Enhanced License. On the Adirondack they cannot see that info, unless they take my license and return to the little office they have to scan the chip.

Agreed.

However, to cross the border you need something with an RFID chip in it and a computer screen to read the information that it can bring up. The NY State Enhanced License as well as other States that offer it, Passports, Passport Card, all have RFID chips in them. When properly scanned, that chip links the officer to all the information provided by that traveler at the time that they applied for and got that travel document.

So far at least, I don't believe that there is an App for that.

Therefore when I cross the border on the Leaf or the Cascades, the officer can see all the documents that were scanned when I applied for my Enhanced License. On the Adirondack they cannot see that info, unless they take my license and return to the little office they have to scan the chip.
To coin a phrase, "there's an app for that."

Grabba MRZ Passport Reader

First scans the machine-readable code, then unlocks the RFID data. Works with iPhone.

Lakeshore Limited passengers were told to get cash and vouchers. HOWEVER, despite six hours warning, no one had the operation up and ready to go. Lakeshore Limited passengers queued up at Lounge G in Union Station, and it took to about 1am to do the paperwork. After which we queued up at the ticket counters with our cash vouchers to get the dinner and cab money. Got to my Crowne Plaza room about 2am.
It sounds like they didn't put customer service reps on board to sort things out.

When this happened us and we missed the CL, LSL, and even the 3 Rivers, they boarded at Wisconsin Dells and set up shop in the dining car. The affected passengers queued up and got new reservations and vouchers. When we got to CHI around 1:30AM, they told everyone to go to the ticket counter to cash the vouchers and change the tickets. We were disobedient and went directly to the hotel. There was plenty of time to get the cash and new tickets the next day.

To coin a phrase, "there's an app for that."

Grabba MRZ Passport Reader

First scans the machine-readable code, then unlocks the RFID data. Works with iPhone.
Ok, I stand corrected on the App statement.

However I note that in addition to be a rather bulky device, it also seems to have come out in 2011. Canada started pulling people off the Leaf in either 2009 or 2010 IIRC.

Just realized another takeaway from this train drama. Three years back, I flew to Seattle and rented a car. I made no prior arrangements for lodgings. My plan for the vacation was so flexible, I didn't want to be nailed down to reaching a certain place on a certain day. The flaw in the plan was purely technical and isn't worth going into. Fact is that every single time I stopped, I got a reasonably priced room. All this "reserve ahead" stuff seems to be overkill.

OK, so now I plan a trip with Amtrak, I figure I know exactly my location each day, so I reserve a room in Toronto. Little realizing Amtrak really can't deliver you to any place at the time they say (Terms of Carriage!). The reservation had a 100 percent cancellation penalty. So there was no way I was going to cancel. But that didn't seem to matter to me inasmuch as I planned the term of the reservation to accommodate the timings of the train trip.

So, now I guess I retrench to my other strategy. If a refundable room costs too much of a premium, don't bother making one. Because our noble transportation organizations have a sneaky back door where they don't have to meet a schedule. So don't pay in advance for a predictable room schedule. Worst-case scenario: You pay more for the first day and then find better deals at the destination on days 2 through n.

Just realized another takeaway from this train drama. Three years back, I flew to Seattle and rented a car. I made no prior arrangements for lodgings. My plan for the vacation was so flexible, I didn't want to be nailed down to reaching a certain place on a certain day. The flaw in the plan was purely technical and isn't worth going into. Fact is that every single time I stopped, I got a reasonably priced room. All this "reserve ahead" stuff seems to be overkill.

OK, so now I plan a trip with Amtrak, I figure I know exactly my location each day, so I reserve a room in Toronto. Little realizing Amtrak really can't deliver you to any place at the time they say (Terms of Carriage!). The reservation had a 100 percent cancellation penalty. So there was no way I was going to cancel. But that didn't seem to matter to me inasmuch as I planned the term of the reservation to accommodate the timings of the train trip.

So, now I guess I retrench to my other strategy. If a refundable room costs too much of a premium, don't bother making one. Because our noble transportation organizations have a sneaky back door where they don't have to meet a schedule. So don't pay in advance for a predictable room schedule. Worst-case scenario: You pay more for the first day and then find better deals at the destination on days 2 through n.
And you were 100% sure you would not have had to cancel your trip due to illmess or injury or an emergency at home? I won't book non-refundables because you can't predict the future.

And you were 100% sure you would not have had to cancel your trip due to illmess or injury or an emergency at home? I won't book non-refundables because you can't predict the future.
I've been considering going to CHI and getting to Canada via Detroit - Toronto - then going on to Halifax -- this report makes me a bit leery about the plan. Still want to see Halifax before I die.

Any good ideas - using AMTK and VIA -- what to do in Halifax when/if ever get there?

I've been considering going to CHI and getting to Canada via Detroit - Toronto - then going on to Halifax -- this report makes me a bit leery about the plan. Still want to see Halifax before I die.

Any good ideas - using AMTK and VIA -- what to do in Halifax when/if ever get there?
Actually to go to Halifax you will need to get to Montreal first, and to do that, you are probably better off doing so via Albany with a single change and overnight at Albany, than doing two changes at Detroit and Toronto. It would be less expensive and more scenic too AFAICT to do it that way. You would have to sp[end a night in Montreal too to be safe.

Once in Halifax, one must do they say in Halifax is go and see the tide in the Bay of Fundy which is easily reached from Halifax. Halifax is a vary friendly city with a bit of history connected with the Titanic, since it was the first [port of call of the rescue ships. The waterfront is a fun place to hang out at specially in the evening. There are also several other places to visit around Halifax. I just love to hang out and walk around the city, take the ferry across to the other side, tour the harbor etc. It is one of my favorite places to visit. I am taking advantage of the VIA reduced rate tickets this year again to go there over the Labor Day weekend.

You should not read too much into the OP rant, his travels got clipped by a storm that dumb 9 inch of rain, and the following flooding that occurred. You may have issues yourself, or you may find your travels much less Intresting. You can not see the furture, but it's wise to carry a full charge phone, a empty credit cards, some cash, a bottle of water, and a few power bars. Traveling is routine, but sometimes it's a adventure.

Your driving home from work in a snow and ice event. The traffic stops and Is not going anywhere. Are you ready to spend all night in your car? Do you have a sleeping bag, and heavy jacket with you, what about some food. Do you stay with your car or head out?

Are you ready? Or are you hoping someone else is ready and willing to help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back