Missed Meals

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hungry-guest

Just a quick question about missed meals.

IE, you are scheduled to board at noon (entitled to lunch meal) and the train is running late and you actually board at 2:30pm.

This is past the lunch serving period. Will you receive a refund or a credit for the missed meal?

Also if the train is running late and into another meal period are you entitled to that additional meal?

This has never happened to me, just curious after reading some of the current meal posts.

Anyone here have experiences/

Just a quick question about missed meals.IE, you are scheduled to board at noon (entitled to lunch meal) and the train is running late and you actually board at 2:30pm.

This is past the lunch serving period. Will you receive a refund or a credit for the missed meal?

Also if the train is running late and into another meal period are you entitled to that additional meal?

This has never happened to me, just curious after reading some of the current meal posts.

Anyone here have experiences/

Yes you will miss lunch, and maybe if you call 1-800-USA-RAIL and talk to Guest Relations maybe they will send you a $10 voucher.

If running late, say, into the dinner hour, yes you are entitled to get dinner too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I assume you are talking as a sleeper (meals included) passenger..

To the best of my knowledge, you will not get a refund for missed meals. It is certainly worth asking about from customer services though. If the train is running late, I imagine that you would be able to take an extra meal.

Not sure the above is "amtrak law", just from my own onboard experiences.

Eddie. :cool:

PS always worth taking a bit of food with you for unexpected breakdowns, etc!

On the plus side, if you're in a sleeper on a train that's running late, you were supposed to get to your destination at 10:12, and don't arrive until 1:00 p.m., you can get an extra lunch!

Your sleeper ticket entitles you to free meals for whatever meal periods you happen to be on the train for.

If the train is late, and you aren't on board yet when they stop serving, then you missed the meal. If the train is late, and you're still on board when they start serving the next meal, you get it for free.

Nothing more to it than that.

IE, you are scheduled to board at noon (entitled to lunch meal)
There's your mistake.
As said, you're entitled to meals during the meal times that you are on the train, not to particular meals based on the schedule. Sometimes this works for you, and sometimes against.

IE, you are scheduled to board at noon (entitled to lunch meal) and the train is running late and you actually board at 2:30pm.This is past the lunch serving period. Will you receive a refund or a credit for the missed meal?
You might get your meal. Amtrak can be flexible if within reason. The key is be polite but firm.

About five of us sleeper pax had a similar dilemma in your example waiting to board a w/b TE in Dallas. Normal arrival is during lunch.

They were running late and it was unknown if they would arrive before lunch was closed down.

A businessman, I learned later travels frequently with Amtrak and well-versed in the game. When he expressed concern

to the ticket agent we would likely miss our meal, she cheerfully offered and did contact the train. The diner would

remain open for us.

After the train arrived past lunch time and we got settled in, I tagged along with the businessman to the diner for a our

late lunch. This is roughly what transpired between him and the dining staff:

DINER: We are closed.

PAX: The station agent contacted the train and assured us we could eat.

PAX: I paid for a first-class ticket which entitles me to lunch. Are you going to deny me it?

PAX: I would like to speak to the OBS.

DINER: Have a seat gentleman. We will be right with you.

They cheerfully served our meal. While eating others in the sleeper boarding in Dallas sauntered in and were served without a fuss.

If a coach pax the outcome may have been different. But the moral of the story is best stated by a past guest poster speaking in general terms:

"You're a first-class passenger on America's top passenger trains -- act like it, and act like you expect Amtrak to act like it."

If the train is running late, I imagine that you would be able to take an extra meal.
IMHO, that is the bottom line.

While one might have missed a meal at the very start of a LD "sleeper" trip, in many cases, you gain a meal at the end of your trip.

No net loss. No reasonable basis to complain. ;)

I boarded the CZ in Denver last year. TheCZ was late in arriving but upon boarding, the SCA told us to drop our bags and go directly to the diner

for our dinner. I think there were eight of us. The diner car attendants were very hospitable.

IE, you are scheduled to board at noon (entitled to lunch meal) and the train is running late and you actually board at 2:30pm.This is past the lunch serving period. Will you receive a refund or a credit for the missed meal?
You might get your meal. Amtrak can be flexible if within reason. The key is be polite but firm.

About five of us sleeper pax had a similar dilemma in your example waiting to board a w/b TE in Dallas. Normal arrival is during lunch.

They were running late and it was unknown if they would arrive before lunch was closed down.

A businessman, I learned later travels frequently with Amtrak and well-versed in the game. When he expressed concern

to the ticket agent we would likely miss our meal, she cheerfully offered and did contact the train. The diner would

remain open for us.

After the train arrived past lunch time and we got settled in, I tagged along with the businessman to the diner for a our

PAX: I paid for a first-class ticket which entitles me to lunch. Are you going to deny me it?

They cheerfully served our meal. While eating others in the sleeper boarding in Dallas sauntered in and were served without a fuss.

If a coach pax the outcome may have been different. But the moral of the story is best stated by a past guest poster speaking in general terms:

"You're a first-class passenger on America's top passenger trains -- act like it, and act like you expect Amtrak to act like it."
Ha! Almost the exact same thing happened to me on the Empire Builder last fall. I boarded at Tomah WI, headed home to Chicago. I had booked a roomette and the EB was about an hour and a half late putting it in to Tomah at appx 1pm. You wouldn't think that would be too late for lunch but by the time I got to the diner from the 27 section sleeper after the Attendant, (who though I was crazy to book a roomette for such a short trip- they always do-ha ha), lifted my ticket I was met with a gruff, "We're closed." From the Steward, who was a fairly young woman, which surprised me because the younger women are usually the more forgiving. I said, "I just boarded at Tomah and YOU guys were late, not me and I'm in the 27 sleeper." This remark caught her off guard for just a second but then she started to take a stand with the, "I'm sorry Sir but we are in fact closed." Thankfully, I didn't have time to reply as one of the LSAs came to the rescue. "I'll take him hon." He said to the Steward and quickly nodded to me, "Right this way Sir." Damn I was impressed and thankful. He sat me alone went over the usual menu stuff and added, "Take your time." I did. I sat there for about an hour or so and languished through the cheese cake desert in my by now, mostly empty diner. I think the bill would have been around $15 or so if I was in coach. He got the $10 tip directly from me as I passed him back to my car. He looked surprised and thanked me as I was leaving. I turned and said to him, "No, thank you, you saved my trip."

Your sleeper ticket entitles you to free meals for whatever meal periods you happen to be on the train for.
If the train is late, and you aren't on board yet when they stop serving, then you missed the meal. If the train is late, and you're still on board when they start serving the next meal, you get it for free.

Nothing more to it than that.
That's exactly correct.

I've been on trains running up to 12 hours late. All additional meals are still included with sleeper accommodations.

remain open for us.

Ha! Almost the exact same thing happened to me on the Empire Builder last fall. I boarded at Tomah WI, headed home to Chicago. I had booked a roomette and the EB was about an hour and a half late putting it in to Tomah at appx 1pm. You wouldn't think that would be too late for lunch but by the time I got to the diner from the 27 section sleeper after the Attendant, (who though I was crazy to book a roomette for such a short trip- they always do-ha ha), lifted my ticket I was met with a gruff, "We're closed." From the Steward, who was a fairly young woman, which surprised me because the younger women are usually the more forgiving. I said, "I just boarded at Tomah and YOU guys were late, not me and I'm in the 27 sleeper." This remark caught her off guard for just a second but then she started to take a stand with the, "I'm sorry Sir but we are in fact closed." Thankfully, I didn't have time to reply as one of the LSAs came to the rescue. "I'll take him hon." He said to the Steward and quickly nodded to me, "Right this way Sir." Damn I was impressed and thankful. He sat me alone went over the usual menu stuff and added, "Take your time." I did. I sat there for about an hour or so and languished through the cheese cake desert in my by now, mostly empty diner. I think the bill would have been around $15 or so if I was in coach. He got the $10 tip directly from me as I passed him back to my car. He looked surprised and thanked me as I was leaving. I turned and said to him, "No, thank you, you saved my trip."

Going into Chicago the EB diner is supposed to serve lunch until Columbus, WI. If it's running a bit late it's still supposed to serve lunch until CBS. If arrival at CBS is going to be well past 3pm then the diner should serve lunch until 3pm. That's the way the LSAs and diner crews are trained.

In a situation as described by the OP and the dining car is indeed closed, I think Amtrak should at least offer a decent meal from the lounge / cafe to a sleeper pax free of charge. The sleeper pax should at least be offered a premium sandwich, a couple of sides/snacks and drink.

On a side note, My family (3 of us) were returning to Michigan from Orlando about 6 -8 years ago via the Sunset / CNO / Wolverine. The Sunset the day before was so late arriving from NOL that they had to terminate and turn it around in Jacksonville instead of Orlando. We had a deluxe room reserved from Orlando to NOL on the SL. When we arrived and checked our bags at ORL the agent told us to board the Silver Meteor and take it to JAX and then transfer to the SL. We were sat in a VERY crowded coach out of ORL. About 10 minutes out of ORL I spoke to the Cond. and explained that we were supposed to be in a sleeper out of ORL on the SL and how we were looking forward to and expecting lunch with our sleeper. I also mentioned that we were really looking forward to some privacy in our room too. Both the SL and SM were scheduled to depart very close to each other out of ORL at that time. The Cond. said he didnt have any available sleepers to put us in, but said pick up your bags and follow me. He walked us to the very end of the train and sat us in a closed off coach, which we had all to ourselves to JAX. After he sat us in the closed coach and helped us get settled, he asked if we wanted to eat lunch now. We then walked us down to the diner and told the LSA what had happened and told them that lunch was on Amtrak for us. This Cond. went out of his way and did everything he could do to make sure we were satisfied under the circumstances. This is a good example of how all Amtrak employees should handle these types of situations.

In a situation as described by the OP and the dining car is indeed closed, I think Amtrak should at least offer a decent meal from the lounge / cafe to a sleeper pax free of charge. The sleeper pax should at least be offered a premium sandwich, a couple of sides/snacks and drink.
Excellent idea! Instead of creating ill-will with a tired or hungry pax dealing with circumstances not

under their control and then sparring with staff of a recently closed diner over a FC benefit paid for,

or due to the fact the train is running very late, it should be SOP to at least offer the option you point out -

not to mention an excellent PR gesture!

Along the lines of a meal from the lounge I've wondered for years about the feasibility of giving sleeper

folks an option for a voucher to get a lighter fare there instead of in the diner. Afterall they do it now - it is

the only option on the EB SPK-PDX segment for breakfast, and PDX-SPK for dinner.

There have been times I was hungry, but not hungry enough to deal with crowds and waiting lists. I

simply wanted something quick or light. On occasion my hunger level didn't coincide with the diner fare, or

have been just plain bummed out on facing their predictable menu.

The menu issue bared itself on a 5-day sleeper loophole trip taken. All I wanted was something very light

for lunch - like the grilled cheese sandwich off the kid's menu at the same time being something 'different.'

Few were in the diner on the NOL-ATL leg:

DINER: Not allowed.

ME: I'm not that hungry.

DINER: Sorry.

ME: I'm in sleeper. My meal is free, so what difference does it make?

(I could understand it from their revenue-generating potential if paying for the item).

DINER: We can't even order it for a meal (Thinking to self: Picked the wrong pax to snow -

like the times when not on the pax menu, diner crew tied into hash browns and eggs made to order).

ME: Asking about Amtrak's cost-effective logic since the item is free to me:

2 pieces of thin bread and cheese vs. the burger with thick buns, a meat patty, lettuce-tomato-onion

and condiments.

DINER: (Unable to explain).

ME: (Eyes glazing over - brain wave going flat over senseless rigidty, but in fairness to her she is just

a peon following rules) .

The answer is likely they don't want to offer it and fill up the diner with folks just wanting a measly little

sandwich or bowl of soup, especially when it comes to revenue potential.

So again, why not offer FC the lounge option for variety or lighter fare? How about the elderly who eat light?

On a side note, My family (3 of us) were returning to Michigan from Orlando about 6 -8 years ago via the Sunset / CNO / Wolverine. The Sunset the day before was so late arriving from NOL that they had to terminate and turn it around in Jacksonville instead of Orlando. We had a deluxe room reserved from Orlando to NOL on the SL. When we arrived and checked our bags at ORL the agent told us to board the Silver Meteor and take it to JAX and then transfer to the SL. We were sat in a VERY crowded coach out of ORL. About 10 minutes out of ORL I spoke to the Cond. and explained that we were supposed to be in a sleeper out of ORL on the SL and how we were looking forward to and expecting lunch with our sleeper. I also mentioned that we were really looking forward to some privacy in our room too. Both the SL and SM were scheduled to depart very close to each other out of ORL at that time. The Cond. said he didnt have any available sleepers to put us in, but said pick up your bags and follow me. He walked us to the very end of the train and sat us in a closed off coach, which we had all to ourselves to JAX. After he sat us in the closed coach and helped us get settled, he asked if we wanted to eat lunch now. We then walked us down to the diner and told the LSA what had happened and told them that lunch was on Amtrak for us. This Cond. went out of his way and did everything he could do to make sure we were satisfied under the circumstances. This is a good example of how all Amtrak employees should handle these types of situations.
An example of the true gems within Amtrak that care about their customer and know the true meaning of

public service and public relations!

Excellent idea! Instead of creating ill-will with a tired or hungry pax dealing with circumstances not

under their control and then sparring with staff of a recently closed diner over a FC benefit paid for,

or due to the fact the train is running very late, it should be SOP to at least offer the option you point out -

not to mention an excellent PR gesture!

Along the lines of a meal from the lounge I've wondered for years about the feasibility of giving sleeper

folks an option for a voucher to get a lighter fare there instead of in the diner. Afterall they do it now - it is

the only option on the EB SPK-PDX segment for breakfast, and PDX-SPK for dinner.

There have been times I was hungry, but not hungry enough to deal with crowds and waiting lists. I

simply wanted something quick or light. On occasion my hunger level didn't coincide with the diner fare, or

have been just plain bummed out on facing their predictable menu.

The menu issue bared itself on a 5-day sleeper loophole trip taken. All I wanted was something very light

for lunch - like the grilled cheese sandwich off the kid's menu at the same time being something 'different.'

Few were in the diner on the NOL-ATL leg:

DINER: Not allowed.

ME: I'm not that hungry.

DINER: Sorry.

ME: I'm in sleeper. My meal is free, so what difference does it make?

(I could understand it from their revenue-generating potential if paying for the item).

DINER: We can't even order it for a meal (Thinking to self: Picked the wrong pax to snow -

like the times when not on the pax menu, diner crew tied into hash browns and eggs made to order).

ME: Asking about Amtrak's cost-effective logic since the item is free to me:

2 pieces of thin bread and cheese vs. the burger with thick buns, a meat patty, lettuce-tomato-onion

and condiments.

DINER: (Unable to explain).

ME: (Eyes glazing over - brain wave going flat over senseless rigidty, but in fairness to her she is just

a peon following rules) .

The answer is likely they don't want to offer it and fill up the diner with folks just wanting a measly little

sandwich or bowl of soup, especially when it comes to revenue potential.

So again, why not offer FC the lounge option for variety or lighter fare? How about the elderly who eat light?
The issue is revenue control. The LSA in the cafe car has to account for everything they are given, by returning the unused stuff and having enough money/credit card slips to account for the difference.

Yes, I'm sure that something could be dreamed up to have the LSA in the diner give you some sort of voucher if you swear off eating that meal in the diner, but Amtrak just hasn't deemed it worth the extra effort to set something like that up. And it would be just one more task for the already busy dining car LSA to have to worry about.

This is an interesting topic! I remember the_traveler posting that he and his sister boarded an LD train late (SWC?) and the conductor told the LSA to give them food out of the cafe since the diner was already closed! :) Dont see why, with pre-arrangment one couldnt get a voucher or vouchers for the cafe if you are certain you dont want to eat in the diner! :blink:

I would point out that a lunch in the diner includes a drink, and that the burgers and sandwiches are much better than the micro-waved fast food in the cafes! ;) and is even cheaper or comparable in price! :p I much prefer the diner (or PPC! :D )to eat, take my own snacks and adult beverages due to the airline prices in the cafes/lounges! :eek:

I also think that the OBS Union(s) need to negotiate a better deal for LSAs, they currently have zero flexibility, Amtraks bean counters act like an LSA stole a Pepsi or hamburger if the paperwork doesnt jive with the inventory

and the poor LSA has to pay for this out of their pocket! IMO it's the bean counters and the suits in headquarters fault! (that includes Joe Boardman who should be aware of this, it's not like he just jumped off a mail train in WAS yesterday! ;) :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

remain open for us.

Focusing on the attendants questioning why you took a sleeper for such a short trip. Funny thing, I have made an even shorter trip, Atlanta to Birmingham and back many times in a roomette and nobody has ever commentd on it.

I also think that the OBS Union(s) need to negotiate a better deal for LSAs, they currently have zero flexibility, Amtraks bean counters act like an LSA stole a Pepsi or hamburger if the paperwork doesnt jive with the inventory
The main reason these rules exist is because there have been numerous examples of LSAs stealing items (or, really, selling the items and pocketing the money for themselves). Most accountants and auditors (and I'm not talking Amtrak specifically, I'm speaking in general) wouldn't like it if any old employee had the flexibility, at their whim, to just give away merchandise (because there's really no way to know if the LSA is selling the stuff and keeping the cash for him/herself).

and the poor LSA has to pay for this out of their pocket! IMO it's the bean counters and the suits in headquarters fault! (that includes Joe Boardman who should be aware of this, it's not like he just jumped off a mail train in WAS yesterday! ;) :lol:
No. Joe Boardman is at fault when a passenger boards and finds Goldilocks sleeping in his room.

Last summer my wife and I had an interesting experience on the California Zephyr Mt Pleasant, IA to Chicago. Our sleeper was a" Denver" sleeper attached to the rear. The train was scheduled to arrive @ 10:54 am then. It was four hours late! Obviously no lunch. Here's the interesting part, when we boarded, the whole car was laughing and engaged with a very lively SCA. (good start!) Next it was announced that the whole train was getting a "dinner" for free. THere were four coaches on this particular train, one and a half of the four coaches was occupied by a marching band heading to a competition out east. They hailed from Burlinggame, CA if my memory serves. THis was the truest definition of organized chaos and everyone was smiling, helpful and happy. THe crew of that train fed us all before Chicago and I really don't know how they did it. A truly good time was had by all! We even made our Lake Shore Limited connection in time for the meet and greet, wine and snack thing. :)

Last summer my wife and I had an interesting experience on the California Zephyr Mt Pleasant, IA to Chicago. Our sleeper was a" Denver" sleeper attached to the rear. The train was scheduled to arrive @ 10:54 am then. It was four hours late! Obviously no lunch. Here's the interesting part, when we boarded, the whole car was laughing and engaged with a very lively SCA. (good start!) Next it was announced that the whole train was getting a "dinner" for free. THere were four coaches on this particular train, one and a half of the four coaches was occupied by a marching band heading to a competition out east. They hailed from Burlinggame, CA if my memory serves. THis was the truest definition of organized chaos and everyone was smiling, helpful and happy. THe crew of that train fed us all before Chicago and I really don't know how they did it. A truly good time was had by all! We even made our Lake Shore Limited connection in time for the meet and greet, wine and snack thing. :)
Now THAT sounds like a really fun ride. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back