Missing connection in Longview, Texas due to delays

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

joannabanana

Hi Everyone,

I am a newbie, and I am so glad to find this helpful forum! Because I have never been on a train before--especially one that involves an overnight trip--I have several concerns and questions. :) The following is my schedule and my most pressing concern:

Wednesday, 07/03/08

depart Houston, TX 1:05 PM; arrive Longview, TX 5:40 PM

depart Longview, TX 6:15 PM; arrive Walnut Ridge, AR 1:36 AM

I have heard a lot of stories about the long delays with Amtrak, so I am very concerned that I will miss my connection to the 22 Texas Eagle in Longview, TX, especially since there is only a 35 minute layover between the two trains. My question is this (and please forgive me if this has been asked a zillion times) :rolleyes: : since the Longview station has only one departure time each day at 6:15 p.m., does that mean I am STUCK in Longview for 24 hours until I can get on the next day's train? Or is this a situation where Amtrak will hold the Longview train until we arrive? I was just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and can tell me what to expect.

THANKS so much for your help!

JoAnne

Hi Everyone,
I am a newbie, and I am so glad to find this helpful forum! Because I have never been on a train before--especially one that involves an overnight trip--I have several concerns and questions. :) The following is my schedule and my most pressing concern:

Wednesday, 07/03/08

I have heard a lot of stories about the long delays with Amtrak, so I am very concerned that I will miss my connection to the 22 Texas Eagle in Longview, TX, especially since there is only a 35 minute layover between the two trains. My question is this (and please forgive me if this has been asked a zillion times) :rolleyes: : since the Longview station has only one departure time each day at 6:15 p.m., does that mean I am STUCK in Longview for 24 hours until I can get on the next day's train? Or is this a situation where Amtrak will hold the Longview train until we arrive? I was just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and can tell me what to expect.

JoAnne
Well for one thing your trip from Houston to Longview is on a bus, so do not act surprised when you get to the station and they herd to onto one. And since Ambus is more reliable than Amtrak you will be on time for your train ride from Longview to Walnut Ridge. In fact the one time I boarded the texas eagle out of Little Rock it was 3 hours late.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Everyone,

Wednesday, 07/03/08

JoAnne
Well for one thing your trip from Houston to Longview is on a bus, so do not act surprised when you get to the station and they herd to onto one. And since Ambus is more reliable than Amtrak you will be on time for your train ride from Longview to Walnut Ridge. In fact the one time I boarded the texas eagle out of Little Rock it was 3 hours late.
It's extremely rare for a Thruway bus to be late for a connection, but in the event that something occurs (traffic or some such) and the bus arrives later than the train (which will likely be late, anyway, and there's a good chance they might hold the train, too), they'll probably just keep the bus going to meet up with the train at a later stop (the average speed of a train is usually lower than the average speed of driving, so it's pretty easy to catch up to a train). If for some reason they wouldn't, though, and you were stuck in Longview for 24 hours (a very unlikely situation!), Amtrak is obligated to either make alternate transportation arrangements (a Greyhound bus, for instance) or pay for your hotel. In any case, you won't be stuck sleeping on a bench in the Longview station...

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if they are any more obligated than an airline in many cases. But yes, they will either put you up in a hotel or bus you to your destination if you miss the train. (Assuming its a guaranteed connection, of course!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back