Mixing coach and sleeper

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heading North

Service Attendant
I'm planning a trip out west (either Cardinal or Capitol Limited to the California Zephyr, most likely) and, recognizing how high sleeper prices can be, I'm thinking about mixing coach and sleeper on the same trip. I've seen it done before (often when combining AGR points and paid travel), but I'm wondering where the best/easiest points are to do this. I am guessing that it means getting off the train and back on (rather than schlepping luggage through the diner!), and so it's better done at a longer layover and/or crew change point, like Huntington (WV), Cincinnati, Omaha, or Denver. Any tips to making this work--and making sure the crew knows I'm not actually getting off the train for good?

I'm planning a trip out west (either Cardinal or Capitol Limited to the California Zephyr, most likely) and, recognizing how high sleeper prices can be, I'm thinking about mixing coach and sleeper on the same trip. I've seen it done before (often when combining AGR points and paid travel), but I'm wondering where the best/easiest points are to do this. I am guessing that it means getting off the train and back on (rather than schlepping luggage through the diner!), and so it's better done at a longer layover and/or crew change point, like Huntington (WV), Cincinnati, Omaha, or Denver. Any tips to making this work--and making sure the crew knows I'm not actually getting off the train for good?
I wouldn't do it in Omaha. Both ways it's a late-night swap (11:00 pm westbound, 5:00 am eastbound.) Maybe only do sleeper to Denver? Though you're not saving a ton of money that way (since that's where the sleeper is most expensive.)

Wherever you make the switch, you might when you first get on the train (with a coach ticket) ask the SCA where you'll eventually be sleeping if you can stow your luggage on the rack in the sleeping car as you board, then take just what you need for the coach part of your trip with you when you go to your coach seat.

I did this myself on the SL recently, boarding in Tucson and then moving to a roomette in El Paso. Saved some wrestling with luggage.

You have to change trains in Chicago anyway. Just change accommodations there. Like coach on the first train, sleeper on the zephyrr

On the 11+ years I have been riding on Amtrak, I have never spent a night in a sleeper. It is true that I have had a few uncomfortable nights in a coach seat but nothing I can't handle so far.

I have vowed not to spend 3 consecutive nights in coach. The places that I break my trips west of Chicago are CUT on the westbound EB and WFH on the eastbound EB. GSC on the CZ either direction and ABQ on the SWC which I have only taken westbound.

Last May my wife and I got on the Empire Builder at SPK at 1:30AM and rode straight through to Chicago in coach. We were in Chicago for about 4 hours before getting on the LSL to CLE.

We had to take a taxi to the airport to pick up our rental car which was quite expensive.

Are you committed to taking the train from WAS or could you start in HAR and go to PGH and sit for about 4 hours before getting on the CL which would save you about $90?

You have to change trains in Chicago anyway. Just change accommodations there. Like coach on the first train, sleeper on the zephyrr
That's what I did, and I booked my trip dependent on when I could grab that roomette on the Zephyr for the lowest price.

I have done this as well. I checked all my baggage but 2 laptop bags. One has my laptop, the other has 2 pair clothes and all my hair products/lotion/toothpaste, ect ect. This way I didn't look like a fool dragging a bunch of bags through the diner. I also let the conductor know as well as the attendant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back