Mobile phone app?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any chance that Amtrak might put out an application for mobile phones? I would love to be able to easily view all the train schedules and maybe even get real-time updates of train status right on my iPhone! :)

They have an iPhone app. It's a web app and doesn't really do anything valuable. There is no Android app.

They have an iPhone app. It's a web app and doesn't really do anything valuable. There is no Android app.
It is not really an "app", but a website sized for mobile phones and with no Flash. It works pretty well. It has all the primary features of the main site including realtime train status.

If you point your phone browser to "www.amtrak.com" it will automatically redirect to the mobile phone site.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is not really an "app", but a website sized for mobile phones and with no Flash. It works pretty well. It has all the primary features of the main site including realtime train status.

If you point your phone browser to "www.amtrak.com" it will automatically redirect to the mobile phone site.
I bet there would be amarket for an APP that automatically texts you day or night whenever ANYTHING changes at Amtrak

I bet there would be amarket for an APP that automatically texts you day or night whenever ANYTHING changes at Amtrak
If it texts you then it wouldn't be an app either. That would just be an sms subscription.

App is short for application which is not a mobile website and not a text messaging service. Apps are just programs so that you hold more of the information locally so it doesn't have to be downloaded every time. The only thing that I could see needing locally stored is timetables which most folks don't need on the go. The timetables are in pdf format so you can download them and read them with a pdf reader. The Amtrak mobile website handles everything else except for upgrades pretty well.

As I understand there is an app for select employees that runs on the iphone, but that is second hand.

I don't think thats high on Amtrak's list of things to get done at the moment. I think they would have to out source the development which means more $$$ spent.

the mobile web version of amtrak.com is easy-to-use and looks wonderful on every mobile device... even the lowest grade flip phones. iphone development costs money. i'd rather amtrak stay focused on implementation of e-ticketing to get them out of the dark ages.

There is a Blackberry App, but it is really no more than a link to the mobile version of the website.

It's not all that easy to use, but I have made reservations and made payment on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back