moderate frustration at bnsf

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bretton88

Conductor
So I am on 3 across Missouri and we've been following a freight the whole way according to our engineer. The delays are mounting. What's up with that? Bnsf is normally so reliable.

Did the train miss a slot? if amtrak misses it's slot then the railroads can make amtrak follow freights.Not to say some do it regardless just to get their jolly's by sticking Amtrak in a hole.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aftermath of the blizzard which caused so much trouble yesterday?

That dispatcher probably hates Amtrak but can't openly give freights priority, so he used this occasion to slow down the SWC. Also, is it the engineer or conductor who is talking over the IC? Because it's usually the conductor.

Well, it was 20 minutes late when I caught the train at fort Madison. Now 30 minutes late leaving Kansas city.

Well, it was 20 minutes late when I caught the train at fort Madison. Now 30 minutes late leaving Kansas city.
That;s actually not that bad. Did you overtake the freight coming out of KCY? It would stink to get blocked through the night on single-track across the plains.

That dispatcher probably hates Amtrak but can't openly give freights priority, so he used this occasion to slow down the SWC.
At BNSF at least, I can't speak for other RR's, there is a "dispatcher" job that is filled 24/7. This person's job isn't to actually dispatch any trains, but rather to monitor all Amtrak trains on BNSF tracks and the dispatchers that are controlling those trains. The person in this position has the authority to override the local dispatcher and order that person to put a freight train in the hole to move Amtrak by it.

So it is highly unlikely that any dispatcher who just happened to hate Amtrak would deliberately pull such a stunt, as it would be noticed and he/she would be ordered to stop playing games.

That dispatcher probably hates Amtrak but can't openly give freights priority, so he used this occasion to slow down the SWC.
At BNSF at least, I can't speak for other RR's, there is a "dispatcher" job that is filled 24/7. This person's job isn't to actually dispatch any trains, but rather to monitor all Amtrak trains on BNSF tracks and the dispatchers that are controlling those trains. The person in this position has the authority to override the local dispatcher and order that person to put a freight train in the hole to move Amtrak by it.

So it is highly unlikely that any dispatcher who just happened to hate Amtrak would deliberately pull such a stunt, as it would be noticed and he/she would be ordered to stop playing games.
I know, but I mean that he could have found an excuse. He won't just do it any day, but he used this occasion. Or maybe the supervisor was the guy that hates Amtrak.

Well, they are giving us some poor dispatching tonight. Watching Freights pass by as we attempt to leave Kansas city.

I know, but I mean that he could have found an excuse. He won't just do it any day, but he used this occasion. Or maybe the supervisor was the guy that hates Amtrak.
It's real simple; if you're on BNSF and you're running late then it's either because Amtrak got to BNSF late or there are conditions or circumstances beyond the dispatchers control. Yes, the builder has suffered of late because of the shear volume of traffic now running on that line. That's an example of things beyond the dispatcher's control. But BNSF works real hard to to keep Amtrak on time.

I'll never forget a trip on the SWC a few years ago where BNSF derailed an intermodel west of Albuquerque. Amtrak bused pax between ABQ and Gallup, turned the eastbound at Gallup and the westbound at ABQ, and swapped the passengers & crew. The Transcon (BNSF's major line) in that area sees close to 100 trains per day, all of which were now going no where. They had trains stacked up like I've never seen before. The mains had become a yard basically.

Yet once we were ready to go, while we looked like a snake trying to cross a pond switching from track to track, the BNSF dispatchers kept us moving at all times; save station stops. We passed freight after freight all parked on the mains. Because of the busing we left Gallup about 3 hours down IIRC. Thanks to BNSF & padding, we arrived less than 1 hour late into LA, despite all those freight trains with no place to go.

So I'll say it again, if you're on BNSF tracks behind a freight, it's because they're having problems. In the case of the OP, most likely they're trying to minimize switching due to the snow. The more switching you do, the greater chance of a switch failure and even possibly a derailment. Most RR's try to cut down on switching in snow as much as is possible. That often means, no passing a slower train.

If you are going all if the way to LAX, you'll probably make up time west of abq. The line further west between Newton (iirc) and abq is going to have some slow orders. The worst is around Lamy, nm.

Relax and enjoy your trip. And let bnsf dispatchers do their jobs. They can see the entire railroad, and you can't. I know I get mad too, and Monday morning dispatch, but its best to leave it alone. You'll mess up a great trip.

Just think. You could be at work or on a plane.

Well... just find some "comfort" in the fact your train is doing a lot better than much of the other LD's tonight... delays of 2-3+ hours... enjoy the time on the train and make the most of it... whenever I am stuck I try to do that... can't control it so might as well enjoy the moment :)

That;s actually not that bad. Did you overtake the freight coming out of KCY? It would stink to get blocked through the night on single-track across the plains.
I would agree 30 minutes for a LD train is nothing. But if he actually followed a freight all the way from FMD, I doubt it will continue on the single-track segment across Kansas. We are constantly told there is almost no freight traffic west of Newton.

Where do you get the notion that anyone involved "hates Amtrak"? A train is delayed, and suddenly it means someone hates Amtrak.

Where do you get the notion that anyone involved "hates Amtrak"? A train is delayed, and suddenly it means someone hates Amtrak.
'Cause the freight blocked the pax train when it wasn't supposed to.

'Cause the freight blocked the pax train when it wasn't supposed to.
That doesn't necessarily mean much, there are times when it is advantageous for Amtrak to follow a freight train or even take a siding while one or more freight trains continues on the mainline (for instance, if Amtrak is the only one that will fit in the siding or if the freight entering into the siding would delay Amtrak longer than letting it proceed on the main). In addition, if it would screw the network to give Amtrak precedence, they are not legally required to give Amtrak precedence (and coming in late is a very good way to cause that). Quite frankly, without knowledge of what went on or why, saying that somebody "hates Amtrak trains" is silly and unjustifiable.

Well, the train is about 45 minutes late (assuming nmrx doesnt screw with us entering abq). Bnsf has some slow orders on the track south of raton pass right now, but they have done a decent job of keeping us from slipping further.

Guaranteed that UP will delay the Eagles into/out of Austin when they are running Late since there are so many Coal, Gravel and Manifest Freights running on the Single Track South of and through Austin up to the UP Yards in Taylor! :( Once you are North of Temple on the BNSF Lines things are much Better! :)

Well, they are giving us some poor dispatching tonight. Watching Freights pass by as we attempt to leave Kansas city.
Late to the party here, but I will point out for future reference that there is time in the schedule for the LAX-bound Chief to stop at the fuel racks in the Argentine Yard. This is *after* the station stop in Kansas City.

From Kansas City to Lawrence to Topeka to Emporia , the line is not that busy, even though it is single track. At Emporia, you get back on the main double line for maybe 15 miles to near Strong City where the main goes south to Wichita but Amtrak takes the other route to Newton. So for all but about 15 miles you don't have to contend with the main line of BNSF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back