More restrictive ticketing non refundable no changes coming March 1, 2020

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a customer that amtrak will lose due to this no free change rule. I already have a ticket for 150 I need to use someday. But I dont know when. My plans are day to day, and once I can, I jump on the train from nyc to florida, or nyc to los Angeles. 2 trips to florida 2 to west coast, plus another one or 2 to DC from ny. But now I cant since I like to decide often the morning of my trip. There's alot not to like about amtrak, like the cars smelling of sewage especially the double deckers. The low lifespan that I've seen start fights, steal, try and start fights, I could tell so many stories the stuff I see. But this change will lose me, I'll start flying even though I'm afraid of it. I already take greyhound often due to Amtrak high prices. 100 bucks to philly from nyc. Bus 12 dollars. The trains used to have large lounge areas. They shrunk them, made the conductors use the few seats they have for office, and now dont let you eat your own food in the lounges unless it's the one from chicago to los Angeles. It used to be a party in that lounge to florida. Drinking eating playing cards.

I just phoned the SE AGR number about a question regarding upgrading a saver fare reservation on the Acela in a few weeks, which reservation was made prior to March 1. The agent to whom I spoke told me that implementation of the rule regarding inability to ugrade from saver fares has been postponed from March 1 to May 1. However the information on Amtrak's website provides contrary information. I am not sure what to believe, but it is what it is.

I just phoned the SE AGR number about a question regarding upgrading a saver fare reservation on the Acela in a few weeks, which reservation was made prior to March 1. The agent to whom I spoke told me that implementation of the rule regarding inability to ugrade from saver fares has been postponed from March 1 to May 1. However the information on Amtrak's website provides contrary information. I am not sure what to believe, but it is what it is.

I noticed this too. Whereas before sometimes agents just didn't realize you could upgrade from Saver, now it is codified that you cannot. I received my "Congratulations, you have reached Select Plus" email today and I couldn't help but roll my eyes at the bullet point, "Four One-Class Upgrade Coupons" since I will now never be able to use them.

I do have one Acela Saver booked in late March. I guess we'll see if they'll accept the coupon.

Someone posted on the coronavirus thread this: https://www.amtrak.com/ibcontent/changeFeeWaived.html
So the agent you talked to appears to be correct and the change fee waive notification just hadn't been posted yet.

Oh, wait, your post was different from what my brain first read. I don't know about upgrades, but apparently the change fees that were supposed to go into effect yesterday have been delayed until May.

Utterly dumb policy. Mr. Anderson removed all incentives to keep money "in Amtrak" in vouchers, and now created a fare class which will drive people to the airplanes. Offering free changes of ticket (as opposed to refunds) is a perk for passengers which costs Amtrak essentially nothing, so they've saved $0.00 in order to annoy passengers.

The upgrade coupons are all useless all the time, I don't know why they even offer them.

Change fees are now being waived for all reservations made by September 6, 2021. Has anyone confirmed if the website is true that upgrade coupons are not allowed on Saver fares?

Back