More Talk of Nevada Bringing Amtrak to Las Vegas

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jccollins

Conductor
If you've moved to southern Nevada since 1997, you might not know Amtrak serviced Las Vegas for 25 years before losing out to budget cuts. News 3's Tom Hawley keeps an eye on the rails from Sky 3, and reports there's talk of bringing Amtrak back. Talk, and also a little bit of money.

The transportation commission today approved 320 thousand dollars, with half from Uncle Sam, on trying yet again to use railroad tracks to carry passengers.

View the full article over at Las Vegas based KVBC Channel 3's website: http://www.kvbc.com/Global/story.asp?S=280...73&nav=15MVVBah

Bottom line: I wouldn't hold my breath, but it's nice to know it is still thought about once in a while. Comments... AllenDee? We haven't heard from you in a while. What's your take on the article?

I honestly think it'd be a great move to bring the Talgos to the Dessert sands between LAX and Las Vegas. Any word on how many trains per day they would run and on what sort of headway?

After reading the article, Amtrak can't add a new route due to Penn loan. Only way to do that is having both CA and NV sponsor the route, maybe just one state.

I surely hope that babbling is over and time to put to action this time!

gswager said:
After reading the article, Amtrak can't add a new route due to Penn loan. Only way to do that is having both CA and NV sponsor the route, maybe just one state.
I surely hope that babbling is over and time to put to action this time!
Amtrak can add a route if one or more states covers any losses that might be incurred, under the terms of the Penn loan.

As far as I know, other than the article, this is still just talk...not worth us getting our hopes up. I'm among those that will believe this when I see it. I agree it'll be great if/when we get Las Vegas service back, but I'm not sure I agree about talgo equipment. The issue would be that it would have to be pulled from the cascades service, and depending on availability, I believe that Surfliner equipment would work out better (as stated on Trainorders). The Surfliner equipment would have a bigger pool and would have greater flexibility in operation/consists than Talgo equipment.

Viewliner said:
The Surfliner equipment would have a bigger pool and would have greater flexibility in operation/consists than Talgo equipment.
It would also make more sense, since the shops in LA are already setup to deal with Superliner/Surfliner type equipment. Talgo's would require retraining, new parts stores, and possible even new tools.

I don't think the Talgo could be pulled from the Cascades, anyway, since I have seen from several sources that the state of Washington purchased the "Las Vegas" Talgo and repainted it into the green/brown scheme. They ain't givin' it up.

It seems to me that Amtrak could push for a Surfliner set or two to be used on this service but, new cars would have to be ordered regardless. There already aren't enough Surfliners to cover the current schedule since 798/799 (or whatever it is) has to use a Horizon set on a daily basis. If this service is going to be financed by the Nevada DOT, and they're going to pay for the Talgo's, and that's what they want, they have every right to get it. It's possible the DOT liked what the Talgo brought to the Table more than what the Surfliner brought to the table, who knows. Does it make complete sense? No. But, this is a government operation, and money talks.

battalion51 said:
It seems to me that Amtrak could push for a Surfliner set or two to be used on this service but, new cars would have to be ordered regardless. There already aren't enough Surfliners to cover the current schedule since 798/799 (or whatever it is) has to use a Horizon set on a daily basis.
Right. There are enough Surfliner coaches to cover the regular consists (except 798/799) during the winter, but during the summer two or three Superliner coaches are added to each Surfliner consists to expand capacity. Even then it is usually not enough.

While the Surfliner coach design is okay, it doesn't even really compare to the amenities and comfort of the Talgos. However, with the current resources (servicing facilities in Los Angeles) I agree that Amtrak California phase two coaches (blue/orange, with interior same as Surfliner) would be the best. Running a "Surfliner" to Vegas would just look ridiculous! :lol: These would have to be ordered, though, since the Amtrak California coaches are all being used in service. Wouldn't it really make the most sense to run an extra set of Horizon equipment on the route to avoid the purchase of new equipment, though?

jccollins said:
While the Surfliner coach design is okay, it doesn't even really compare to the amenities and comfort of the Talgos.
Guess it's a matter of opinion. My opinion of the Talgos ranges from "okay" to "I hate them." On the other hand, I took a quick round trip from LAX to SNC and back on Sunday, and fell in love with the Surfliner coaches. The seats are comfortable and recline *properly* (none of this slide forward crap like the Talgos have). Plus, being a Superliner-based design with each car having its own trucks, there's none of the bouncy motion found on a Talgo when running over jointed rail.

The only area where the Talgo beats the Surfliner/standard Amtrak design is when traveling between cars, as the articulated Talgo set makes the connection very easy, and much safer.

Wouldn't it really make the most sense to run an extra set of Horizon equipment on the route to avoid the purchase of new equipment, though?
You'd have to find the extra set of Horizon equipment first.

It doesn't matter to me what type of equipment is used. I'd just like to see the service finally start up. Most of the posters said they would believe it when they see it. I will believe it when I ride it!

Back