Most Beautiful East Coast Route

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sitzplatz17

Lead Service Attendant
Hello AU!

My apologies if this has been posted before.

My girlfriend has never been on Amtrak and I'm looking to wow her with a trip in a roomette. We both work full time here in DC and don't have massive amounts of time so the best we could do is a sort of three-day weekend. Take the train somewhere and fly back.

Normally if time was no issue I'd take her out to one of the fantastic west coast routes, Zephyr or Builder... even the Chief. Where the scenery is simply breath-taking.

But since that's not an option I'm stuck with finding a route out of DC.

Each of the routes though have their pro's and cons:

Cardinal: Probably the best scenery, but really lousy on-board food and little place to socialize with other travelers (unless the Dome is on
rolleyes.gif
)

Capitol Limited: The nicest equipment (SSL) but not much of a route since most of it is at night

Silver Service: Proper dining and equipment - also a nice destination (FL) but not really much to see out the window.

Crescent: I haven't been on it yet (which is a pro in my book
biggrin.gif
) but i hear it's not the nicest route either.

What can y'all recommend?

Thanks a million! (I'll be sure to write a report on how it went when I get back)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the scenery on the Capitol Limited is nicer from Chicago to Washington than it is the other direction. I also think the scenery on the Lakeshore Limited from NYP to CHI (along the Hudson River) is lovely. The downside for you would be 2 trains and no lounge car (I think) until you get to Albany. The scenery on the Cardinal, in my opinion, is better eastbound than westbound. I have only traveled on the Crescent once (last fall) and I enjoyed the Fall colors. If you choose to take a non-overnight train, the Adirondack from NYP has great scenery.

I have taken the Silvers to Florida more times than I can count, and although I enjoy the scenery, I would not call it the most beautiful east coast route.

Enjoy your trip.

IMHO the most beautiful route in the east unfortunately does not have Sleeper service, since it is a day train, and one that is hard to get to from Washington. It is the Adirondack from New York to Montreal, or just to Plattsburgh NY, which covers almost all of the beautiful part, and Plattsburgh has reasonable hotels to overnight in and head back the next day. The fly in the ointment is getting to and from it from/to Washington DC.

You could probably consider flying out to Buffalo or even Chicago and taking a Roomette on the Lake Shore Limited back. It is a scenic ride during daytime through the Mohawk and Hudson Valleys. If it arrives on time into New York, you should be able to make it back into Washington DC late in the evening. In the mid-summer you could do it westbound too, and you should have light through most of the real scenic part.

Then again you could do the Capitol Limited from Chicago to Washington DC eastbound by flying out to Chicago. It passes across the Alleghenies and Potomac Valley through Cumberland during daylight hours, and specially so in the summer.

IMHO the most beautiful route in the east unfortunately does not have Sleeper service, since it is a day train, and one that is hard to get to from Washington. It is the Adirondack from New York to Montreal, or just to Plattsburgh NY, which covers almost all of the beautiful part, and Plattsburgh has reasonable hotels to overnight in and head back the next day. The fly in the ointment is getting to and from it from/to Washington DC.

You could probably consider flying out to Buffalo or even Chicago and taking a Roomette on the Lake Shore Limited back. It is a scenic ride during daytime through the Mohawk and Hudson Valleys. If it arrives on time into New York, you should be able to make it back into Washington DC late in the evening. In the mid-summer you could do it westbound too, and you should have light through most of the real scenic part.

Then again you could do the Capitol Limited from Chicago to Washington DC eastbound by flying out to Chicago. It passes across the Alleghenies and Potomac Valley through Cumberland during daylight hours, and specially so in the summer.
Also worth considering are the Crescent and both Silvers, as mentioned.

There are scenic parts to the daytime routes of the Crescent & Silvers, in my experience. Maybe not as breathtaking as the Hudson River Valley or New River Gorge, but appealing in their own right. These are some of those highlights we have enjoyed:

Crescent -

Northbound around Lynchburg & Charlottesville in the early morning

The foothills of the Appalachians and the lakes between Seneca, SC and Buford, GA southbound

Talladega National Forest around Anniston, AL

The trestle over Lake Pontchartrain

Silver Star -

The Carolina Sandhills & longleaf pines between Raleigh & Hamlet

Silver Meteor/Palmetto -

The farms & tobacco fields in eastern NC

The SC Low Country between Florence & Yemassee

Both Silvers -

Florida citrus groves, lakes, springs, palms, live oaks

I imagine you would find plenty to look at & enjoy!

[edited for readability]

If you want to show her the best of Amtrak in the east - take Auto Train! Great service and equipment. After getting off in Sanford, take a leisurely and scenic 3 day drive back up the coast - AIA from Daytona to Fernandina Beach, FL (day 1) then US 17 through Savannah/Charleston/Myrtle Beach (day 2) and back home on I-95 via I-40 at Wilmington, NC (day 3).

Second the Adirondack, its a Great Trip! :wub: Also worth considering are the Vermonter, The Ethan Allen and the Downeaster from Boston(North Station) to Portland, Maine! All wonderful trips and worth spending a night after a day trip, then return the next day!

If you want an east-coast trip that will help convince someone that train travel is fun, my recommendation would be to fly to Chicago and then take the Capitol Limited back home. You'd get to see most of the scenic Pittsburgh-Washington segment during daylight ... but more importantly, you'd have the Sightseer Lounge car, which is a huge selling point. The single-level trains just can't match that.

My recommendation would be to take a Regional or Acela from Washington to Philadelphia to get a sampling of high speed running, with a mix of urban and rural scenery, as well as some neat river crossings. Perhaps a quick tour of the 30th street station area, then onto the Pennsylvanian for a trip thru the manicured Penn Dutch farmland, and the crossing of the Allegheny's, with the highlight, the world famous Horseshoe Curve. Then the rest of the way into Pittsburgh, a vibrant city. Perhaps spend a day there, or just overnite, then catch the Capitol for a Superliner experience on its scenic route back to DC. If you travel around the solstice, 21 June, you will have pretty decent daylight most of the way.... :)

You really don't need a roomette for this trip, but you could get one on the Capitol, if you just want the experience.

I would fly to Chicago and take the Capitol back. Treat her to a nice dinner. Enjoy the SSL at night. Enjoy the scenery the next morning after Pittsburgh.

I'll second/third the Capitol Limited eastbound. You need to be an early bird, but the scenery east of Pittsburgh approaches that of the Cardinal and is wonderful from the lounge. That, and a proper dinner and breakfast onboard, and you're in for a nice experience.

I love and stand behind railiner suggestion. A triangle trip formed by an Acela/NER, Pennsylvanian, and then Capitol Limited sounds like the perfect trip. Make sure to time it around the summer solstice.

Second the Adirondack, its a Great Trip! :wub: Also worth considering are the Vermonter, The Ethan Allen and the Downeaster from Boston(North Station) to Portland, Maine! All wonderful trips and worth spending a night after a day trip, then return the next day!
I would agree the Adirondack is very nice. While I know you're probably looking to do an overnight trip, keep it in mind for another trip if all goes well. I would take it up to Port Kent, NY, and take the ferry (it's about a 2-3 min walk from the train station) across the lake to Burlington, VT. The ferry ride is also very nice, and Burlington has lots to do for a weekend. You can either take the Adirondack back, or just fly out of BTV to DC (there are direct flights to both DCA and IAD and a number of connecting options).

I would agree the Adirondack is very nice. While I know you're probably looking to do an overnight trip, keep it in mind for another trip if all goes well. I would take it up to Port Kent, NY, and take the ferry (it's about a 2-3 min walk from the train station) across the lake to Burlington, VT. The ferry ride is also very nice, and Burlington has lots to do for a weekend. You can either take the Adirondack back, or just fly out of BTV to DC (there are direct flights to both DCA and IAD and a number of connecting options).
Or take a ten mile taxi ride to Essex Jct. and take the Vermonter back all the way to DC.

Thanks everyone for great suggestions!

The Adirondack is really one of the best east coast routes.

Actually did that one with an ex-girlfriend about four years ago
mosking.gif
!

Was very much a success, but I did kind of miss having the overnight experience.

Having been on the Capitol Limited Eastbound I think that's probably my best bet, as we'll get Superliner Equipment and some pretty good morning scenery.

That NEC/Pennsynvanian/Capitol triangle sounds fun as well though! But that's a lot of train for a first timer, maybe once she's converted to our ways!

Cheers,

-Sitzplatz17

Thinking outside the box here BUT if you've got a three-day weekend to pull something off, I'd check Southwest Airlines out of BWI and do something like this -

Day 1, morning flight to Chcago, Orange line downtown, board Southwest Chief

Day 2, arrive Albuquerque - city bus has regular route departing from station next door to Amtrak out to the airport (passing several hotels enroute)

Day 3, fly home to BWI.

THAT would be a 3-day weekend in my book!

mosking.gif
!

Was very much a success, but I did kind of miss having the overnight experience.

Having been on the Capitol Limited Eastbound I think that's probably my best bet, as we'll get Superliner Equipment and some pretty good morning scenery.

That NEC/Pennsynvanian/Capitol triangle sounds fun as well though! But that's a lot of train for a first timer, maybe once she's converted to our ways!

Cheers,

-Sitzplatz17

You must not have been able to convert the exgirlfriend.

Have a good trip.

We agree about the Capitol Limited being a good choice. Did that 2 years ago. Very nice.

mosking.gif
!

Cheers,

-Sitzplatz17

You must not have been able to convert the exgirlfriend.
Hence why I'm insistent on the Roomette this time
biggrin.gif

There's no fly involved. (It got eaten by a bird!
laugh.gif
) But you have to be an earlier riser - even before the worm.

There is a 3:15 AM Regional out of WAS that connects to the Adirondack. (Yes I've taken it!
wacko.gif
) I also believe there is a 4 AM Regional also. And returning, there is a Regional that arrives into WAS at 1:15 AM that connects from the Adirondack. (I've taken that one also!
wacko.gif
)

So never say never!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back