Most Interesting Destination By Amtrak?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rail Freak

Engineer
I've been on most LD Routes for the sake of riding the rails, with really no destination in mind & have really enjoyed the travel. What destinations have you folks had traveling by Amtrak that stand out in your mind!!!!

Thanx

I've only been on the Empire Builder, and I did enjoy the Glacier Nat. Park.. Here is my v

from last year.
We are going out again this year!

There are lots of really Cool Places one can ride a Train to but the Top 7 IMO:

1) Niagara Falls,Ontario (not NY!! The Maple Leaf)

2) Santa Barbara (Coast Starlight :wub: or Surfliner)

3) Grand Canyon (even if a Van or the GCRR takes you to the Canyon/you get to ride the SWC to Arizona)

4) Vancouver,B.C. ( VIA's Canadian!! :wub: or Cascades)

5) San Francisco Bay Area (Coast Starlight or Zephyr)

6) Montreal,Quebec (The Adirondack)

7) New Orleans (Crescent/Sunset Ltd./CONO)

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanted to add New York City. I know folks around here don't like NYP, but it is great getting off the train and being in Manhatten.

Montreal was a terrific trip and destination. But we've also made station stops at some places I'd like to try such as Charleston.

Here are a few off the top of my head...

Washington D.C. - Best station in the whole network with an amazing city just outside.

Chicago - Not a big fan of the station, but the city has so much to see, do, and eat that I'm unlikely to spend much time there anyway.

Los Angeles - Nice design, well preserved, easy going staff, and a million things to do in the SoCal area.

Vancouver - Great city, unique location, interesting architecture, friendly residents, and international flair.

There are others I may include some day, like Glacier, but I can't recommend it until I've had a chance to see it. ^_^

Haven't been all over but as of now my vote is Winter Park, CO on the CZ. It's a wonder in itself just to get a train to an elevation of 9200 feet. Going west you enter the 6 mile long Moffatt Tunnel and exit at the base of the huge ski resort. I've only ridden it twice and both times had sunny skies on the east side of the tunnel and on the other side of the continental divide it was overcast and snowing. For some reason the train stops in Frasier a couple of miles away but in my opinion the tunnel, resort and possible extreme differences in weather in a short time make it the most interesting to me.

I also like the north bound Eagle coming into Austin. The train crosses the river near downtown and then makes a sharp 90 degree turn just before it stops at the station.

No question about it: Wishram, WA!!! :lol:

Seriously, I have to go with Washington DC. I was able to spend a few hours there three years while waiting for the CL to Chicago and would love to spend more time there in the future.

I would say Winter Park (Fraser) also. But I've only been on the CZ.

Once DEN-MTP, twice DEN-GBB, once DEN-WIP.

For a final destination it has to be one of the larger cities. Large cities offer so much to do, offer public transportation or easy taxi transprotation to get around, and take all the worries about driving and transportation away. Destinations that I have been to that fit this catagory:

Tied for 1st place:

Philadelphia - It is so breathtaking when you get off the train in a hole under the station and ride the escalator into such a grand station. Plenty to do and see.

New York - Station may not be much but once you get outside you are in New York, which there is no place like it!

Washington - Such a grand city with so much to see and do. Has to be the most important city in the country because of the government.

2nd Place:

Boston - Such a great city.

3rd Place:

Baltimore-B&O RR museum is once of the nicest RR museums I have been too and it is pretty great city too (however I feel it has been getting a little run down).

Cities that I think would fit my above criteria but have never been to so I can't speak about them. These are also on my bucket list to visit some day (of course by taking Amtrak):

New Orleans

Pittsburgh

Chicago

The EB to Leavenworth, Wa. One of the most unique and interesting towns in the US. They built a covered platorm, petitioned, and got the EB to make a stop there about three years ago. Check it out at Google. The little town with BIG ideas.

My top destination is Glacier National Park. I would also like to go to a quaint little station like Saderson, Thurmond, or riding the Vermonter to its end at St. Albans. My top big cities would be Chicago or Seattle. Love Roosevelt Road!

Surf,California--on the Pacific Surfliner line. Just a small blacktop siding, a narrow two-lane road leading back to civilization inland, and the beautiful Pacific Ocean and crisp white sand dunes immediately to the west. The most naturally scenic and unspoiled stop anywhere on Amtrak, where the salt air permeates the coach interiors each and every time the PS stops!

Surf,California--on the Pacific Surfliner line. Just a small blacktop siding, a narrow two-lane road leading back to civilization inland, and the beautiful Pacific Ocean and crisp white sand dunes immediately to the west. The most naturally scenic and unspoiled stop anywhere on Amtrak, where the salt air permeates the coach interiors each and every time the PS stops!
What about the great deserts? The Rockies in Montana? The Appalachians in West Virginia? Many parts of those are virtually unnspoiled and even unpopulated.

I prefer smaller destinations. Old Orchard Beach, Maine on the Downeaster--the train stops a block from the beach. Glenwood Springs, CO, a great ride from Denver and very relaxing. Carpenteria, CA, a more sedate alternative to SBA. New London, CT.

What about the great deserts? The Rockies in Montana? The Appalachians in West Virginia? Many parts of those are virtually unnspoiled and even unpopulated.
If you read my post accurately, I was describing the Amtrak stop that I believe is the singlemost unspoiled, natural location on the entire rail network, with no infrastructure or civilization around to speak of.

Of course, the regions of the Rockies, the Southwest Deserts and other American rural environments have pristine areas. But please read the post and note that I am speaking about the specific station locale.

the Amtrak stop that I believe is the singlemost unspoiled, natural location on the entire rail network, with no infrastructure or civilization around to speak of.
Unspoiled, natural, in the boonies? Try Alderson or Thurmond WV on the Cardinal.
I agree that the Cardinal Route has some pretty Unspoiled/in the Boonies stops! Another Candidate is Williams Junction,Az. where you Hope that the Van is waiting, there's NOTHING there and it's usually Really Dark!!! :eek:

If you read my post accurately, I was describing the Amtrak stop that I believe is the singlemost unspoiled, natural location on the entire rail network, with no infrastructure or civilization around to speak of.

Of course, the regions of the Rockies, the Southwest Deserts and other American rural environments have pristine areas. But please read the post and note that I am speaking about the specific station locale.
I've never heard of Surf Beach, Ca.! I googled it & it looks like a great place! I must have gone thru it (or by it) as I have been on the CS a few times! Then again, maybe not!

Thanx

If by destination you mean point where I went and then reboarded from, I'd say Seattle. Of course that was going from CHI to LAX through tunnels, around pigtail curves, on the edge of the hill, past the Mohave Desert. Then up the west coast on the CS where I saw the Pacific Ocean for the first time ever, and Mount St. Helens and Mount Rainer. Then back on the CZ simply put "God's Country." :D

Though as others have mentioned my home train the Cardinal between Montgomery and Staunton, of course I've never taken her NB to NY -- we always transfer at Charlottsville for points S on the Crescent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back