Moving to San Diego - Amtrak California questions...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently decided to take a job out in San Diego and as such will be moving there from Ann Arbor. MI in the next couple weeks. Definitely excited about moving there - besides all the things NOT related to Amtrak, I'm pretty happy to be going somewhere with such frequent Amtrak service (11x daily each direction, plus Thruway buses) - which means more trips for me. Also, in my trips there I must say the Surfliner seems like a prime candidate for best non-LD train - particularly due to the great bilevel equipment (puts those Horizons in MI to shame) and the ocean views. The one downside is that my move makes it much less likely I'll be in PHL for the gathering - and if I do, the trip will have to involve an aircraft (not going to have 6 days to spare in a new job to take the SWC/CL cross-country roundtrip, as fun as that may be)

I will probably be pretty busy just getting to know San Diego when I first get there, though I figure I'll be quickly itching to take an Amtrak trip. When I was out in SAN before, I took the Surfliner up to LAX and ANA for day trips - would definitely do some short trips in that vein again, though I may stay overnight as well. Does anyone have good ideas for lodging either near LA and/or out by Anaheim? I'm already planning to go up for a few sporting events (Tigers @ Angels in September seems like a perfect idea, given the station being right behind the stadium - I'll still be cheering for the Tigers), though may want to stay longer and/or later (particularly if I stay for a 7pm game in Anaheim, or definitely LA). I know transit isn't great in spots up there, though it seems workable (particularly in LA with the Metro Rail - will have to try the Expo Line).

Also, does anyone have any suggestions/ideas as far as longer trips? At this point, it seems like the Coast Starlight is the obvious "must-do" - I just need to find time for it (I have almost enough AGR points for a roundtrip 1-zone roomette, so I figure I'll save those for that). I've also looked a bit about going up to San Francisco. In that respect, how are the Amtrak California buses? Can you sleep on them anywhere near as well as Amtrak coach? I might consider the Ambus+SJ overnight if that wouldn't be too bad - otherwise I may just fly (don't have the kind of time to spend a whole day on the CS). If I do go, does anyone have any lodging recommendations? I may end up also going over to Oakland to go to a game at the Coliseum, but I figure it may be better to stay in SF regardless (have heard questionable things about Oakland) - and one can always take BART over. At some point, I may take a day train, though I may simply opt for the bus to SLO+Surfliner over the CS (figure the CS may only be worth it for a longer trip, unless I can snag a dirt-cheap roomette and the PPC is in service).

Anyway, I'm pretty excited about the move - though I'll likely be quite busy finding a place to live and all (probably looking for something near downtown with good transit, perhaps in the vicinity of the SAN station). I also have to spend time enjoying San Diego itself - and they have their own light rail/commuter rail to experience (though I have been on the Trolley before). However, I'm definitely going to be itching to do an Amtrak trip once I get settled...

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently decided to take a job out in San Diego and as such will be moving there from Ann Arbor. MI in the next couple weeks. Definitely excited about moving there - besides all the things NOT related to Amtrak, I'm pretty happy to be going somewhere with such frequent Amtrak service (11x daily each direction, plus Thruway buses) - which means more trips for me. Also, in my trips there I must say the Surfliner seems like a prime candidate for best non-LD train - particularly due to the great bilevel equipment (puts those Horizons in MI to shame) and the ocean views. The one downside is that my move makes it much less likely I'll be in PHL for the gathering - and if I do, the trip will have to involve an aircraft (not going to have 6 days to spare in a new job to take the SWC/CL cross-country roundtrip, as fun as that may be)

I will probably be pretty busy just getting to know San Diego when I first get there, though I figure I'll be quickly itching to take an Amtrak trip. When I was out in SAN before, I took the Surfliner up to LAX and ANA for day trips - would definitely do some short trips in that vein again, though I may stay overnight as well. Does anyone have good ideas for lodging either near LA and/or out by Anaheim? I'm already planning to go up for a few sporting events (Tigers @ Angels in September seems like a perfect idea, given the station being right behind the stadium - I'll still be cheering for the Tigers), though may want to stay longer and/or later (particularly if I stay for a 7pm game in Anaheim, or definitely LA). I know transit isn't great in spots up there, though it seems workable (particularly in LA with the Metro Rail - will have to try the Expo Line).

Also, does anyone have any suggestions/ideas as far as longer trips? At this point, it seems like the Coast Starlight is the obvious "must-do" - I just need to find time for it (I have almost enough AGR points for a roundtrip 1-zone roomette, so I figure I'll save those for that). I've also looked a bit about going up to San Francisco. In that respect, how are the Amtrak California buses? Can you sleep on them anywhere near as well as Amtrak coach? I might consider the Ambus+SJ overnight if that wouldn't be too bad - otherwise I may just fly (don't have the kind of time to spend a whole day on the CS). If I do go, does anyone have any lodging recommendations? I may end up also going over to Oakland to go to a game at the Coliseum, but I figure it may be better to stay in SF regardless (have heard questionable things about Oakland) - and one can always take BART over. At some point, I may take a day train, though I may simply opt for the bus to SLO+Surfliner over the CS (figure the CS may only be worth it for a longer trip, unless I can snag a dirt-cheap roomette and the PPC is in service).

Anyway, I'm pretty excited about the move - though I'll likely be quite busy finding a place to live and all (probably looking for something near downtown with good transit, perhaps in the vicinity of the SAN station). I also have to spend time enjoying San Diego itself - and they have their own light rail/commuter rail to experience (though I have been on the Trolley before). However, I'm definitely going to be itching to do an Amtrak trip once I get settled...
As bad as we are, you'll be a Padres fan pretty soon :)

I'd love to meet you sometime, or even run into you on a run once you feel settles in. I'm glad you are coming near the end of summer, so you know what it will be like, because for people that come during our 67 degree winters, that can be a real downer and a pretty big turn off!

I'd love to meet you sometime, or even run into you on a run once you feel settles in. I'm glad you are coming near the end of summer, so you know what it will be like, because for people that come during our 67 degree winters, that can be a real downer and a pretty big turn off!
I'm going to be totally presumptuous and answer for thully at least by saying in the very unlikely scenario that he becomes a Padres fan, he would never stop being a Tigers fan. You never leave Michigan, you just occasionally move from it. I've lived outside Detroit for over 35 years and never once did I stop being a Detroit sports fan ( ok, I may have given up on the Lions for a few years, but hey, I am human after all).

And concerning train trips from SD, it's a short one but be sure to spend a day in San Juan Capistrano, it's a great little California town.

Go Tigers! GO BLUE!!

I'm going to be totally presumptuous and answer for thully at least by saying in the very unlikely scenario that he becomes a Padres fan, he would never stop being a Tigers fan. You never leave Michigan, you just occasionally move from it. I've lived outside Detroit for over 35 years and never once did I stop being a Detroit sports fan ( ok, I may have given up on the Lions for a few years, but hey, I am human after all).

And concerning train trips from SD, it's a short one but be sure to spend a day in San Juan Capistrano, it's a great little California town.

Go Tigers! GO BLUE!!
That's fine. If he can at least go to Petco and root against the Dodgers, then I'm happy :)

thully, may I ask what neighborhood you'll be living in? Access to a Trolley line?

It's really easy to get to Emeryville for quick trips into San Francisco and then Davis is a good stop too. You can rent a car at/near those stations plus there are hotels less than a block away at both (basically across the parking lot). You can take Pacific Surfliner/Coast Starlight to either one as well as Pacific Surfliner/Bus and Pacific Surfliner/Bus/San Joaquin/Bus/Capital Corrider.

Up in LA there's Metro Plaza Hotel right by the station, don't know about Anaheim.

In Anaheim, you have the Townplace Suites Marriott which is across the steet from Angels Stadium. There is also a Hilton and Doubletree nearby.

I recently decided to take a job out in San Diego and as such will be moving there from Ann Arbor. MI in the next couple weeks.

Jealous. I live in So California but in the hot inland area. We were just in San Diego last month and the weather was glorious. We go there a few times a year to go to a Padres game, the zoo or elsewhere.

Dan

I ived in the San Diego area, Mission Viejo (Orange County), and now live in the Phoenix area.

3 comments re your post.

1. A nice 2-3 day trip from SAN would be San Luis Obispo, my favorite Ca town, accessible by Surfliners from SAN or via LAX on the CS.

It's quaint, has some good, reasonably priced hotels/motels in the downtown area. They used to have a farmer's market on Thursdays. It's close to Pismo Beach, Morro Bay, and a little farther up the road, Hearst Castle.

2. One can travel, comfortably, year around in the San Diego weather. Compare the rest of the 48 states where you're freezing your you-know-what off or melting by the heat and/or humidity. Weatherwise, San Diego County is the best!

Did anyone mention?... Sell your snowmobile, snow thrower, snow shovels in a garage sale in Michigan!

3. I grew up in St. Louis, Mo, lived in So. Calif, now in Arizona. Haven't lived in St. Louis for 40 years. Do you think I'm a Padres/Angels/Dodgers/D'Backs fan? Not!! GO CARDINALS :excl:
wub.gif

Good luck on your move, and Happy Rails in the future.

Thully,

I believe you are an AU user who likes staying in hostel's. I was out there for two weeks riding Amtrak California and exploring the state. There so many hostels in San Francisco that I can't make a recommendation because the two I stayed in I didn't love but didnt hate. Ill try a different one the next time Im there. In terms of LA I only spent one night in one which was okay but I bet there better. Just make sure you choose one in Hollywood an easy red line subway ride from Union Sation. Talking to other travelers there definately some that are harder to reach by transit.

Johnny - I figured you'd show up on this thread. I must say I love your SOL station code in Solana Beach - aside from SOB for South Bend, I'd say it's the funniest in the Amtrak system! As for sports teams, I'm still going to root for the Tigers/Red Wings/Lions and the like (and of course the Michigan Wolverines - my alma mater), though I'll probably follow the SD ones a bit (it helps that they're both in the opposite league/conference as Detroit, so they rarely play each other). I'll probably be making Amtrak trips to LA and Anaheim (and perhaps SF/Oakland as well) for some of these - I'd say sports are a great excuse for an Amtrak trip (without the Sugar Bowl, I wouldn't have taken the SAN-LAX-NOL and NOL-CHI-ARB segments of last winters trip).

I'm probably looking to live somewhere near downtown SD - basically want to be close to transit and walkable amenities since I don't drive. I'm going to be working at UCSD, so it may be a tad tricky, though I figure if I'm near the express bus (#150) that runs up there I'm fine. Otherwise I may look near one of the trolley stops between downtown and Mission Valley. Could move closer to campus, but everything gets more suburban the farther north you go - and I'd have to take a bus to SOL for Amtrak (and for later trains, I'd *be* SOL since there is no bus after 10 or so).

Anyway, as far as questions - does anyone have any experience with Amtrak California buses? If so, how comfortable are they? Can you use a single AGR special zone award for bus-train combinations to SF? I may do a short jaunt up there at some point in the near future. Though I know the Coast Starlight is great (and have nearly enough points banked for a roomette roundtrip), It's also more expensive and slower - and takes an entire workday. Given this, the Bakersfield bus+San Joaquin option which goes overnight seems somewhat attractive, though if that's going to be torture (which given the overnight bus segment, I'm worried it could be) I may opt for Southwest Airlines if I don't have time for the day trip.

All in all, I'm pretty excited. I know that I've heard many people say that Southern California is not ideal for transit - though something tells me that I'd rather deal with its shortcomings than live somewhere like Chicago where you have great transit, but freeze to death walking around in January! Also, it's definitely better than Michigan in that regard (unsurprising given what the major industry is in Michigan). Between the weather and the frequency of the Surfliner, I figure I'll be doing more trips - though a lot of them will probably be day trips. May also give the Coaster and Sprinter a try - Stone Brewing in Escondido could be a good excuse for that. However, I also might end up busy enough with San Diego for a while.

P.S. Yes, I was one of the people who uses hostels. In fact, some people on this board turned me on to the idea - and I ended up going to Chicago a bunch of times quite cheaply because of hostels and AGR points. Will definitely be scoping out ones in good locations throughout California (aside from SD).

Downtown is great. You should totally look for a condo in the Gaslamp. It's right near Horton Plaza, a mall with everything you need, plus plenty of trendy restaurants and access to Petco Park. In a few years the Chargers stadium as well. The Gaslamp is right in the middle of the loop the Trolleys make downtown. By 2015, you'll be able to take the Blue Line straight up to UCSD and UTC, major employment centers. If you're willing to live with a car for 3-4 years while they get the Trolley extension up and running, then the Golden Triangle are (triangle formed by the 52, the 5, and the 805) is very nice. Lots of new upscale apartments, one of the best malls in town, and easy access to UCSD. It really is cool. But you're still young, and the trndy atmosphere of the Gaslamp might be more suited to you. I only suggest the Golden Triangle due to its location. Right next to Torrey Pines in addition to your work, and if you'll be relying on mass transit to get to work, then it will be great now plus soon it will have your access to rail transit. Just a few suggestions.

BTW I would NOT recommend Mission Valley or Old Town. Great shopping and great restaurants but NOT a great place to live. I can promise you that.

Johnny - I figured you'd show up on this thread. I must say I love your SOL station code in Solana Beach - aside from SOB for South Bend, I'd say it's the funniest in the Amtrak system! As for sports teams, I'm still going to root for the Tigers/Red Wings/Lions and the like (and of course the Michigan Wolverines - my alma mater), though I'll probably follow the SD ones a bit (it helps that they're both in the opposite league/conference as Detroit, so they rarely play each other). I'll probably be making Amtrak trips to LA and Anaheim (and perhaps SF/Oakland as well) for some of these - I'd say sports are a great excuse for an Amtrak trip (without the Sugar Bowl, I wouldn't have taken the SAN-LAX-NOL and NOL-CHI-ARB segments of last winters trip).

I'm probably looking to live somewhere near downtown SD - basically want to be close to transit and walkable amenities since I don't drive. I'm going to be working at UCSD, so it may be a tad tricky, though I figure if I'm near the express bus (#150) that runs up there I'm fine. Otherwise I may look near one of the trolley stops between downtown and Mission Valley. Could move closer to campus, but everything gets more suburban the farther north you go - and I'd have to take a bus to SOL for Amtrak (and for later trains, I'd *be* SOL since there is no bus after 10 or so).

Anyway, as far as questions - does anyone have any experience with Amtrak California buses? If so, how comfortable are they? Can you use a single AGR special zone award for bus-train combinations to SF? I may do a short jaunt up there at some point in the near future. Though I know the Coast Starlight is great (and have nearly enough points banked for a roomette roundtrip), It's also more expensive and slower - and takes an entire workday. Given this, the Bakersfield bus+San Joaquin option which goes overnight seems somewhat attractive, though if that's going to be torture (which given the overnight bus segment, I'm worried it could be) I may opt for Southwest Airlines if I don't have time for the day trip.

All in all, I'm pretty excited. I know that I've heard many people say that Southern California is not ideal for transit - though something tells me that I'd rather deal with its shortcomings than live somewhere like Chicago where you have great transit, but freeze to death walking around in January! Also, it's definitely better than Michigan in that regard (unsurprising given what the major industry is in Michigan). Between the weather and the frequency of the Surfliner, I figure I'll be doing more trips - though a lot of them will probably be day trips. May also give the Coaster and Sprinter a try - Stone Brewing in Escondido could be a good excuse for that. However, I also might end up busy enough with San Diego for a while.

P.S. Yes, I was one of the people who uses hostels. In fact, some people on this board turned me on to the idea - and I ended up going to Chicago a bunch of times quite cheaply because of hostels and AGR points. Will definitely be scoping out ones in good locations throughout California (aside from SD).
Hey--I live in SAN too--and had a friend who lived in North Park/Hillcrest who took the UCSD shuttle--IIRC they have one and it's really handy for people, so I hear. Maybe you could look into that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back