MSP to DEN in early may?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyingBoat

Train Attendant
Any idea of how scenic the trip from MSP to DEN would be right now? Weather here in MSP is going to be terrible for the next week so I thought it might be a good time to get a trip in. But I am not too interested in seeing baren trees. I suppose glacier is like here in MSP and still not very filled in yet this year. But what should I expect in Oregon and the trip on the Zephyr later in the week?

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of the trees you'll see in the Pacific Northwest are evergreens, and so you won't have to worry about them being bare.

This spring in the Pacific Northwest, especially the last month, has been cold to the point of being ridiculous. That said, the deciduous (leaf-bearing trees) where I am, here in SE Washington, are blooming somewhat, though the leaves are a bit puny. Relatively speaking, it's been somewhat warmer in Oregon, so the trees may be more filled out. And this week it is supposed to be a lot warmer than it has been, and it doesn't take much warm weather for leaves to grow at a decent pace.

All that to say it should be all right, but nothing too leafy just yet.

Thanks for the info. With the wintery weather, flood reroutes and possible bustitution etc., I decided not to take the trip this week. it would have been a good deal however. Flights back to MSP from DEN were only $68 and car rentals were available over the weekend for only $7/day in Denver. Cheap time of year, but maybe because there is nothing to do out there right now? The weather at least looked warmer tha here.

I was just trying to get away from the cold/rain/wind here in MSP, but since the weather was so bad across the whole northern part of the country it didn't sound like it would be a good/scenic trip anyway. When the weather clears up here hopefully in a week or so, I would probably rather be enjoying the outside than being on the train.

I never did hear back from anyone whether the Sac to Den part of the trip would be scenic this time of year or if that part is also with barren trees and a late spring. With the high altitude does this area normally experiece a late spring, and mayb still in a bit of winter?

I know the fall color is hard to catch as well, and that it comes early to the high altitude. Right now I have a trip booked ABQ to MSP on 10/4.

Also, how are the winter trips on the train? I was thinking of maybe booking a San Antonio to MSP in the winter, to recouperate after a tennis camp down there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back