Mudslide north of Seattle again.....

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is interesting to hear. Does that mean that the 28 that left portland on time tonight will use the SEA halk of 7 coming into spokane tonight for the combined 8-28? I am going to be on the train leaving ND monday night-tuesday morning that is suppose to leave sea and pdx tomorrow night. Or I should say suppose to be on.

What is this the 5th or 6th time this month alone?

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/114870239.html
A couple of thoughts:

1) Use of remaining stimulus funds to create a new Seattle to Everett main line for BNSF not so mudslide prone?

2) I have talked to Amtrak crew. They often run the trains into Seattle after mudslides, but can carry crew only, not passengers. If it is safe for one it is safe for both.

That is interesting to hear. Does that mean that the 28 that left portland on time tonight will use the SEA halk of 7 coming into spokane tonight for the combined 8-28? I am going to be on the train leaving ND monday night-tuesday morning that is suppose to leave sea and pdx tomorrow night. Or I should say suppose to be on.
Call now and ask.

2) I have talked to Amtrak crew. They often run the trains into Seattle after mudslides, but can carry crew only, not passengers. If it is safe for one it is safe for both.
There is an FRA rule, no passenger trains until 48 hours after a mudslide is cleaned up. I don't think Amtrak trains without passengers count.

There is an FRA rule, no passenger trains until 48 hours after a mudslide is cleaned up. I don't think Amtrak trains without passengers count.
Is there a FAA rule that planes can't take off until 48 hours after a tornado passes through? Makes/lacks the same sense...

I called Amtrak and according to them, number 8 will turn around in Everett and buses will travel between Everett and Seattle. Also known as the usual it seems so far this month!

Is there a FAA rule that planes can't take off until 48 hours after a tornado passes through? Makes/lacks the same sense...
Once a tornado is gone, it's gone. The cause of a mud slide is that the underlying soil had gotten saturated to the point that it lost stability. The probability of another slide remains until the soil dries out a bit and the ground contours have stabilized. The risk of another slide remains high for a while. Two days has been defined as the time needed to clear the higher risk period.

Running a freight train or an empty passenger train through the slide area is one thing. Running a train with several hundred passengers on board is another thing. The price of safety is a short bus ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back