Music on the Rails

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amfleet

Engineer
Just curious as to what kind of music suits you best when traveling by rails?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tend to go for light jazz and country, maybe some rock or rap on the Corridor for that high-speed travel.

Amfleet said:
Just curious as to what kind of music suits you best when traveling by rails?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tend to go for light jazz and country, maybe some rock or rap on the Corridor for that high-speed travel.
country... garth.... george... alan.... brooks and dunn....kenny....

Led Zeppelin . . my favorite band, its good in all situations, I just love the good ol time Rock n Roll. But most of the time Im satisfied enough just by BEING on the train to keep me in deep tune to the surroundings that I really dont need music. Thats one of the intresting parts of train travel, all the different happenings going on. The speed of the train, passing of other trains, the quality of the track, listening to the horn blow (some trains ya can, some ya cant hear it), watching for intresting senery, checking out the consist of the train and the condition of cars, watching and listening to the crew and what they are up to, and even conversing with some fellow railfans and travelers . . . those are just a few of the reasons I love train travel. But hey throw in a little Led Zepp, it would be sweeter still!

I like to rock out on the train but it really depends on the mood I'm in and the city I'm going through at the time as I sometimes like to listen to ball games on the radio while I'm on the train.

Well usually I'm just listening to my scanner. However if I do put a CD into my computer, then its always Shania Twain.

I'll leave it up to you to decide if that's Country or Pop.

I ignore all controls for music and movies in my room on the train. I truly enjoy the train (and the scenery) just for itself....if I need any diversion, I usually have a magzine or two. In fact I have a method of travel---any kind of travel-- I take up all the unused magazines, etc out of my rack next to my easy chair and read them, and throw them away, en route when I am finished. This leaves room in my bags to buy or acquire things to bring back.

I take along magazines which I will throw some day, anyway. If I take a car/motel trip, for example, that reduces the bordeom in the hotel. (I DO watch TV there, of course). NOTE: I do NOT take books or magazines with me which I will be keeping rather than throwing away---that would load my bags down too much, as I would have to bring them back.

I am glad that these things are available for those who want them. But I really am kind of offended by movies shown in the lounge car. But I guess it is more a good thing than bad thing.

I am glad that these things are available for those who want them. But I really am kind of offended by movies shown in the lounge car. But I guess it is more a good thing than bad thing.
I'm offended by them when they are played when it is sill light out. I wouldn't mind if they were shown later on, 8:00pm or 9:00pm.

Amfleet, I acknowledge the distinction you are making between daylight and night. Of course the lounge car TV is less "offensive" at night. Though, even then, I like to look out into the darkness at distant lights, shapes, etc. Guess I can do that from my own room or seat for that matter. But a movie is really a somewhat more serious infraction out west with truly unique (for most people) scenery. People REALLY need to be taking that scenery in, but, again,it's not so bad when it is dark anyway.

While I don't partake in the movies in the lounge very often, I can understand that it's a nice amenity to have on board. Everybody doesn't enjoy simply watching the scenery go by as many of us do. And, the best place for that really is a private bedroom. Thankfully, I was on the correct side of the train see one of the most beautiful sunsets I have ever seen while heading west aboard the California Zephyr last September.

I will admit, though, that I have watched a movie or two. If I had been offended, it would have been by other people in the lounge who weren't watching the movie but were talking loudly. You can add to that the fairly constant stream (at least that night) of people passing in and out of the lounge car who were pretty noisy. The picture and sound with those screens is not all that great, anyway, without all the other distractions. In a perfect railroading world, maybe we could have a section of the lower level of some Superliner set aside solely as a little "movie theater" where movies could run all day in a darkened room with a decent video and sound system. That's not a high priority, for sure, but, hey, we're just dreaming here! :)

Speaking of video on trains, can someone tell me what is usually available on the video system in each room of a Viewliner sleeper? I know that's been mentioned before (so I apologize Anthony and Alan for bring this up again :rolleyes: ) but I can't find the subject where this may have been discussed before. Thanks!

seajay

You got it right Seajay, in a "perfect world"(while we are day-dreaming) it would be nice to have a truly dedicated site just for movies---that would effectively separate the movie crowd from the rest. Right on with that idea, in a perfect world.

I listen to many kinds of music, but I am particularly fond of classical music. Strauss waltzes work nicely. Much of the music I enjoy is evocative of nature--of landscapes, seascapes, the people--of the areas through which I am traveling. Some of my favorite selections along this line are: Beethoven's "Pastorale Symphony" (about a day in the country).

Smetana's "Ma Vlast " (My Country)--the most famous part, The "Moldau" (the name of the river that flows through Prague), is descriptive of countrysides, rivers, and peasants.

Debussy's "La Mer" (the sea) is good for the times the train goes along the water (ocean or other)

Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries" is best known for its use in "Appocalypse Now" with the helicopter battle scene, but it is good for a speeding train. I have also listened to Mendelssohn's "Hebrides Overture" (again evocative of the ocean), Offenbach's "Gaite Parisienne" (including the "Can-Can), its dances providing good rhythm and melody to go along with the rhythms of the train. While traveling by train through France, I was listening to Canteloube's "Songs of the Auvergne." There are many, many others. I am a musician by training and trade.

There are two CDs called Locomotive Music, and it is classical music written in honor of trains. In the 19th century, when railroad lines and or stations were built and completed, composers (like Strauss) were asked to write little pieces (waltzes, polkas, gallops) to celebrate. Often these pieces are evocative of the steam engine, the journey, or other aspect. Sometimes it was just nice music. One example is Strauss' "Accelaration Waltz." Josef Lanner's "Steam Waltz" is actually about a steaming coffee machine, but it works to describe a steam engine.

But there are many other styles and types of music and selections I enjoy. Some of the most famous songs come from the country and bluegrass genres: "The Orange Blossom Special" and "The Wabash Cannonball." One of the earliest songs I remember hearing on the radio was Roger Miller's "Engine Number 9 ("...going down the railroad line..."); his biggest hit "King of the Road" is a psuedo train song. We all know "The City of New Orleans," which has been done by many people in different genres and styles. The American folksong "I've Been Working on the Railroad" is a longtime favorite. And don't forget "The Ballad of Casey Jones" and "The Ballad of John Henry."

My favorite song about trains comes from Hollywood: "On the Atchkison, Topeka, and the Santa Fe" from "The Harvey Girls." This song expresses many of the reasons for loving and wanting to ride a train. The rhythms and melodies are evocative of the train. I also like "The Trolley Song."

seajay said:
Speaking of video on trains, can someone tell me what is usually available on the video system in each room of a Viewliner sleeper? I know that's been mentioned before (so I apologize Anthony and Alan for bring this up again :rolleyes: ) but I can't find the subject where this may have been discussed before. Thanks!
seajay
Seajay,

No need to apologize, you post was on topic and was clearly not intended for the purpose of increasing you total number of posts on the board.

Now to answer your question, the Viewliner's have two channels in the sleepers #'s 4 & 5 that activate the TV system. Both channels are feed by looped tapes (one for each channel) that carry two newly released movies, a couple of cartoons, and a couple of TV comedies on each tape. By newly released I mean, newly released to Pay Per View Cable, not theatrical release.

Amfleet said:
What channels does music play on in the Superliners?
Most times the Superliners don't seem to have any music, however in theory Channel 1 is supposed to carry the announcements (so you don't have to rely on the hall speakers). Channels 2 thur 5 should have music.

I like soul and funk all the time on the train. When the mood fits, I play rock. Marvin Gaye's "What's going on?" album is great for the assault on the Front Range when I am riding the Zephyr out of Denver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back