Must be missing something???

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I take:

1. I-95 (Delaware Tpk.) --> DE 1
  2. DE 1 --> across the canal (on the new spanning bridge) and through the toll to the first exit thereafter ( Ex. 142 - There's a fire station on the corner).
  3. Turn right at the above exit. This is shown as DE 896 (Boyd's Corner Rd.) on Google Maps. It feeds into DE 71/US 301.
  4. Turn left onto DE71 / US 301 South (DE 896 seems to turn north there). Follow it through MD to the 301/50 junction. Continue across the Bay Bridge and on US50 to DC.
It's part of my standard route to get to Lorton for the AT. :D
Duh on my part. :p I was thinking of getting on 896 (since I live near it) above the canal and how it branches off to Boyd's Corner - and not that you'd go down DE 1 to Boyd's Corner then onto 896 to get to 301.
As it turns out, the corner where DE 896 turns north (and DE 71/US301 goes south) is the precise half way point in my drive. I usually like to eat breakfast at that breakfast buffet / Chinese place in the mall near the Valero gas station.

As I mentioned above you may want to rethink getting on DE1 from I-95 for a while until they finish the fly-over - then it will be a breeze compared to how it is now getting off I-95 at DE1. I have no need to get on DE 1 from I-95, but I do take another road over it to get to the mall so I have seen the destruction construction.
I encountered a bit of that on the way home from the AT this past June (i.e. Northbound). I don't recall any going southbound, but that was on a Sat. morning. I try to avoid the standard weekday traffic. :ph34r: :)

Is there an ETA on it's completion? I'm thinking maybe MARC will get to Newark DE beforehand! :p

I take:

1. I-95 (Delaware Tpk.) --> DE 1
  2. DE 1 --> across the canal (on the new spanning bridge) and through the toll to the first exit thereafter ( Ex. 142 - There's a fire station on the corner).
  3. Turn right at the above exit. This is shown as DE 896 (Boyd's Corner Rd.) on Google Maps. It feeds into DE 71/US 301.
  4. Turn left onto DE71 / US 301 South (DE 896 seems to turn north there). Follow it through MD to the 301/50 junction. Continue across the Bay Bridge and on US50 to DC.
It's part of my standard route to get to Lorton for the AT. :D
Duh on my part. :p I was thinking of getting on 896 (since I live near it) above the canal and how it branches off to Boyd's Corner - and not that you'd go down DE 1 to Boyd's Corner then onto 896 to get to 301.
As it turns out, the corner where DE 896 turns north (and DE 71/US301 goes south) is the precise half way point in my drive. I usually like to eat breakfast at that breakfast buffet / Chinese place in the mall near the Valero gas station.

As I mentioned above you may want to rethink getting on DE1 from I-95 for a while until they finish the fly-over - then it will be a breeze compared to how it is now getting off I-95 at DE1. I have no need to get on DE 1 from I-95, but I do take another road over it to get to the mall so I have seen the destruction construction.
I encountered a bit of that on the way home from the AT this past June (i.e. Northbound). I don't recall any going southbound, but that was on a Sat. morning. I try to avoid the standard weekday traffic. :ph34r: :)

Is there an ETA on it's completion? I'm thinking maybe MARC will get to Newark DE beforehand! :p
I don't know, but it seems to me to be moving along pretty well. Up to 3 years and I think they started sometime in 2011.

Here's a link : DelDOT_I95toDE1Flyover

They have a video of how the roads will look when it's completed.

Last edited by a moderator:
The original coach fare you are seeing is the "E" bucket - the 25% discount for buying 14 days in advance.

When you book business class, it automatically changes the coach to the regular lowest bucket ticket, which is of course more than the E bucket.
This has been a headache for many people. This "Special" 25% off fare is also non-refundable, a simple matter that is often misleadingly left out and cause for major consternation for those used to Amtrak's liberal refund policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back