My #1 Advice when buying a ticket

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeShmo

Train Attendant
Purchase the extra travel insurance option. If your trip is under 24 hours, maybe not, but if longer than or in a lot of other conditions that can happen for shorter trips, get the travel insurance option offered when purchasing a ticket.

I’ve never bought travel insurance and so far have never had a major issue. Once when Amtrak and flights were cancelled north from Florida due to a winter storm, I had to get a hotel in Miami for 2 or 3 more nights... not sure if travel insurance would have covered that (I’m guessing not) but even if so that was around $500 with tax. Over all the years that’s the only expense I’ve had for anything going wrong. Anything else I was able to get a refund or credit for future travel.

If it’s saved you money, let me know. Maybe I’m missing out on something, but I doubt it.

Purchase the extra travel insurance option. If your trip is under 24 hours, maybe not, but if longer than or in a lot of other conditions that can happen for shorter trips, get the travel insurance option offered when purchasing a ticket.

First, I notice that you are a new AU Forum Member. Welcome!

I am one who purchases travel insurance, but never from the airline, cruise line, or Amtrak. I find much better policies and pricing by shopping various travel insurance providers.

I get international travel insurance included in my standard UK current bank account which has a small monthly charge. I've had to make a number of minor claims usually for medical expenses although this year I've made claims for a complete cancelled 2 week holiday including flights, train tickets, hotels and visas. I've never had an issue with claims being rejected. I used to work in Travel Insurance and I've seen the costs of claims so can't imagine why anyone would risk traveling without cover

This has little/nothing to do with train tickets, but I feel it's important to mention.

If you are traveling by car, check your policy for "Travel Coverage" or something similar. When I worked for the Big Auto Insurance Company, our comprehensive/collision coverage provided for $500 toward hotel/food expenses if you were stranded somewhere while your car was in the shop for repairs due to a comprehensive/collision loss.

There weren't any limitations on it, other than the $500 limit. You could stay in a fancy Hilton and order room service if you wanted. You could go out for steak and wine. We didn't care, as long as your receipt showed the expenses were incurred while your car was being repaired.

100% of the policyholders who called me and said, "We're in South Dakota, and we got in an accident," were shocked whenever I told them about the Travel Coverage after we'd covered towing and repairs. Every single one of them. The coverage is buried deep in the policy booklet, and not a single person thought to ask if we offered something like that.

This has little/nothing to do with train tickets, but I feel it's important to mention.

If you are traveling by car, check your policy for "Travel Coverage" or something similar. When I worked for the Big Auto Insurance Company, our comprehensive/collision coverage provided for $500 toward hotel/food expenses if you were stranded somewhere while your car was in the shop for repairs due to a comprehensive/collision loss.

There weren't any limitations on it, other than the $500 limit. You could stay in a fancy Hilton and order room service if you wanted. You could go out for steak and wine. We didn't care, as long as your receipt showed the expenses were incurred while your car was being repaired.

100% of the policyholders who called me and said, "We're in South Dakota, and we got in an accident," were shocked whenever I told them about the Travel Coverage after we'd covered towing and repairs. Every single one of them. The coverage is buried deep in the policy booklet, and not a single person thought to ask if we offered something like that.
To add to that, usually a car rental (if that is what you are talking about) offers their own insurance but also require a credit card. Most credit cards offer travel or rental car insurance.

I’ve never bought travel insurance and so far have never had a major issue. Once when Amtrak and flights were cancelled north from Florida due to a winter storm, I had to get a hotel in Miami for 2 or 3 more nights... not sure if travel insurance would have covered that (I’m guessing not) but even if so that was around $500 with tax. Over all the years that’s the only expense I’ve had for anything going wrong. Anything else I was able to get a refund or credit for future travel.

If it’s saved you money, let me know. Maybe I’m missing out on something, but I doubt it.
From what I understand, the travel insurance offered by Amtrak when purchasing a ticket, would've reimbursed the hotel expenses.

First, I notice that you are a new AU Forum Member. Welcome!

I am one who purchases travel insurance, but never from the airline, cruise line, or Amtrak. I find much better policies and pricing by shopping various travel insurance providers.
Thanks for the warm welcome. I usually buy the optional travel insurance from the place I am buying a ticket. But since I use a credit card, I am offered additional protection. Great advice!

Back