My 40th Birthday NYC Trip- Goodbye NYC...For Now

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snljamie0518

Service Attendant
MAY 23, 2016

Today was the day we were leaving so after breakfast we packed our suitcase & then checked out of the hotel. We took the Q32 to Penn Station & checked in the two suitcases, then for lunch we had the Auntie Annes pretzel dogs. When we got done eating, we went to the waiting area to wait for a few hours until it was time for our train to board.

We boarded our #49 Lakeshore Limited train at 3:15 p.m. Around this time, we were hungry so we had cheeseburgers for dinner.

Now here comes the fun part, which I am being sarcastic. At around 10:00 p.m. we ended up being stalled on the train outside of Rochester because a freight train hit someone. We ended up stalled for a few hours, so I decided around Midnight to go to sleep.

MAY 24, 2016

The train finally got moving again around 1:00 a.m. I would sleep off & on during the night. I don't know what happened to the person that got hit.

We had Sara Lee pound cake & milk for breakfast. I took cat naps during the day. Our train was 4 hours late getting into Chicago Union Station, however, they held our next train for us. We had to rush to get on it. I was a little disappointed we didn't get to stay in Chicago for the night but Oh well.

The train we got on was the California Zephyr heading home. Louis called his niece Tamara to let her know that even if we were planning to meet her & the family that we wouldn't have been able to because we were 4 hours late & had to catch our next train right away. Hopefully, next time we will get to see you, Tamara, Walther, Leilani, Ariella, Liliana & Wesley. We miss & love you!

We got hungry so I went to the Cafe Car to get us something to eat. I had a cheese pizza & Louis had a hot dog. After we ate, I did some crosswords & word searches. Since we didn't get to stretch our legs in Chicago, we couldn't go to a store to get bottled soda. I had no choice but to drink out of an aluminum can. I am allergic to aluminum & I didnt like the other drink choices so I poured the soda into a cup of ice.

Later on, the really nice conductor would keep checking in on us throughout the night. I don't remember his name but we thanked him for checking on us. We told him why we were so grateful to have him & he said the others are not doing their job by not checking in.

At around 9:00 p.m. I decided to set up my Cpap machine & go to sleep since I didn't get much the night before.

Stay Tuned: We are home, exhausted & missing NYC/Friends

Back