My intro, a little late.. just like the trains!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TampAGS

Service Attendant
Greetings folks... I figured I should officially say "hello", even though I've been perusing the forum for a few weeks and have already replied in a handful of threads.

I'm a newbie not only to the board but to all things Amtrak, having only "seen the light" last September. I was headed to south Florida to board a cruise, and for some reason I thought of checking Amtrak. I can't recall exactly what sparked the idea, since I'd never previously considered train travel. Whatever it was that gave me the idea... it was about time!

Now all I can do is cringe when I recall the countless times over the years that I've driven back and forth across the state, and realize I could have taken the train instead! I could have been racking up Guest Reward points instead of racking up wear and tear on my car, wear and tear on my psyche, and the odd speeding ticket or two.. :eek:

Tampa Union Station is the point of origin for most of my trips. What a treat to finally see the old beauty after having lived here 17 years (and what a shame it only sees two trains a day :( ).

Aside from travel in general, I love music, and have for most of my 36 years been involved in the choral arts in some form or fashion. I also dabble in graphic design and media editing. At the moment, I've got more time to dabble seeing as I'm out of work. But from what I've seen on the news, I guess right now I'm not the only one in that boat.. er, train.

Welcome a little late! :)

I agree with you about Union Station. I haven't been to it in well over 5 years (maybe over 10 years), but it was run down then. I'm glad they refurbished it and brought back some of it's glory. I'd like to see it again!

Hi Neighbor,

I’m a newbie too.

I took a train ride from Tampa to Orlando for fun a few years ago. One day, stuck AGAIN on I-4, I decided future trips to the east coast of Florida were to be by train. Love it!! The trip is about the same time-wise and I’m relaxed on arrival!

I , like you, wish Tampa had more trains so a day trip to somewhere like Orlando was possible. I also wish the line between JAX and New Orleans would reopen. If either wish came true I’d have a Florida pass in a flash.

Maybe if enough of us stomp our feet?

~ Cat

Sadly that pass was discontinued last year, so you won't be able to buy it even if your wishes came true.
But this is Florida... land of "If You Wish Upon a Star". :D Lol... I suppose in our case the star would be Silver, too.

That is a shame, but given the limitations of the Sunset Limited and the loss of rail service to towns on the old S-Line a few years ago, it seems like any current Florida pass would hardly compare to those available in past years before those rail services were lost.

I guess there's some consolation in the fact that regular intrastate fares are generally quite reasonable .

Hi Neighbor,
I'm a newbie too.

I took a train ride from Tampa to Orlando for fun a few years ago. One day, stuck AGAIN on I-4, I decided future trips to the east coast of Florida were to be by train. Love it!! The trip is about the same time-wise and I'm relaxed on arrival!

I , like you, wish Tampa had more trains so a day trip to somewhere like Orlando was possible. I also wish the line between JAX and New Orleans would reopen. If either wish came true I'd have a Florida pass in a flash.

Maybe if enough of us stomp our feet?

~ Cat
Hey Cat... nice to meet a local. What part of town?

Yes, day-trip options out of Tampa more or less suck as our current service stands. I have nothing against Sebring and Winter Haven but I'd love to have more on our menu. Heck, Sebring is even risky since delays on the #91 often don't put it there until after the #92 back to Tampa has come and gone.

I couldn't agree more with you about I-4, and about the Sunset Limited. I drive to the panhandle to visit family and that drive is

L O N G and boring. Going by train would be so much more appealing. I was hoping with the recent funding last year and maybe stimulus money this year that they would restore the Limited's route before a family reunion I have up there later this year, but it doesn't look like that will be the case. :mellow:

Sadly that pass was discontinued last year, so you won't be able to buy it even if your wishes came true.
But this is Florida... land of "If You Wish Upon a Star". :D Lol... I suppose in our case the star would be Silver, too.

That is a shame, but given the limitations of the Sunset Limited and the loss of rail service to towns on the old S-Line a few years ago, it seems like any current Florida pass would hardly compare to those available in past years before those rail services were lost.

I guess there's some consolation in the fact that regular intrastate fares are generally quite reasonable .

Hey Cat... nice to meet a local. What part of town?

Yes, day-trip options out of Tampa more or less suck as our current service stands. I have nothing against Sebring and Winter Haven but I'd love to have more on our menu. Heck, Sebring is even risky since delays on the #91 often don't put it there until after the #92 back to Tampa has come and gone.

I couldn't agree more with you about I-4, and about the Sunset Limited. I drive to the panhandle to visit family and that drive is

L O N G and boring. Going by train would be so much more appealing. I was hoping with the recent funding last year and maybe stimulus money this year that they would restore the Limited's route before a family reunion I have up there later this year, but it doesn't look like that will be the case. :mellow:
Hi,

I'm over the bridge in the St. Pete area. I enjoyed your train videos.

I can see a Turkish restaurant from the train in Winter Park and have been told it is good. I'd love to take a day trip there, eat at the restaurant, and head back to Tampa in the evening. Oh well!

Took a road trip to the Panhandle in December, it sure would have been better on the train! I wandered around the forum after posting my wish and saw we're not the only ones wishing on that star.

Hi,
I'm over the bridge in the St. Pete area. I enjoyed your train videos.

I can see a Turkish restaurant from the train in Winter Park and have been told it is good. I'd love to take a day trip there, eat at the restaurant, and head back to Tampa in the evening. Oh well!

Took a road trip to the Panhandle in December, it sure would have been better on the train! I wandered around the forum after posting my wish and saw we're not the only ones wishing on that star.
Turkish restaurant, huh? Whereabouts is it in relation to the station? I will be paying Winter Haven a short visit tomorrow, though only because of the current disruption on the northbound Star's route. No train into Tampa, so I have to bus to Winter Haven and connect to the train there in order to get to DeLand.

It will be my first time inside the WTH station. I doubt I'll have time to scope out any local eateries, but possibly if the #92 is running late.

Back