My little Amtrak day-trip Today

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MStrain

Service Attendant
Well, I did it. I rode the train down to Hammond and back. :blink:

Had a grand ol time. I went by myself so I coud concentrate on pictures and writing a review of the Cross Country Cafe which I will post later. I do a bit of video editing, so I put this together of my trip in a YOUTUBE video. Just click the link, turn up the volume and enjoy. If it starts to jump, just press pause and let it load....you know the routine.

Glenn Miller + Trains+ Sunday afternoon= FUN! :lol:

see link below! :rolleyes:

MStrain

Last edited by a moderator:
here is the link to YOUTUBE. Thanks!

(ps...this isn't action packed...just photos I took today)

Hey MStrain, I can't watch the video on my slow dial-up connection, but I'm glad you had fun on your trip. How long was your layover before you caught the return? How long was the trip overall?

I would imagine doing this would whet your appetite and just make you want to ride the train even more :) rather than curing your cabin fever. :p What do you think?

Cascadia....you are right. I hadn't ridden for a few years and wanted to curb the appetite....it didn't work. I have had schemes going left and right since this morning. I caught the Southbound #59 out of Chicago in Jackson. Arrived a little late, so we set off about 10 late or so.....arrived in Hammond around 1:35P. I headed over to the Mexican cantina at the end of the station (about a block south) and had a beer...explored downtown a bit and then boarded the on time #58 heading North at 2:45P. Arrived back in Jackson right on the button at 5PM. Some excellent driving was done during the trip might I add....smooth sailing.

The new Cross Country Cafe was pretty good, but cramped when busy.

Here are the photos in color without swanky music.....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23938317@N06/...979437084/show/

here is the link to YOUTUBE. Thanks!
(ps...this isn't action packed...just photos I took today)

I think you should give yourself a little more credit. It doesn't need to "action packed." The way you have the video arranged with the photos in black and white, and along with the Glenn Miller tune gives the video a whole lot of feeling IMO! I love how it gives a true feeling of our beautiful Southern region (which of course I am a little partial to the South as I was born, raised, and continue to make it my home)! You did a good job with with this video, so thanks for sharing it.

OBS gone freight....

Very nicely one.

I sort of wish it would have been possible to make the pictures of 1940's vintage equipment. Oh, well, you can't have everything.

Cascadia....you are right. I hadn't ridden for a few years and wanted to curb the appetite....it didn't work. I have had schemes going left and right since this morning. I caught the Southbound #59 out of Chicago in Jackson. Arrived a little late, so we set off about 10 late or so.....arrived in Hammond around 1:35P. I headed over to the Mexican cantina at the end of the station (about a block south) and had a beer...explored downtown a bit and then boarded the on time #58 heading North at 2:45P. Arrived back in Jackson right on the button at 5PM. Some excellent driving was done during the trip might I add....smooth sailing.
The new Cross Country Cafe was pretty good, but cramped when busy.

Here are the photos in color without swanky music.....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23938317@N06/...979437084/show/
Thanks for sharing the pictures and Info MStrain,

My Wife and I are taking the CNO (Chi to NO and return) in April. First train Trip in 3 years and we're really starting to get excited!

frj1983,

Check and see if Elaine is working one of the coach cars and sit there.....she is amazing. Very attentive and I tipped her well, even though I never required anything and was only on her train for 2 hours. She is the one standing outside the car entrance at Hammond.

The bread pudding was pretty good, so I recommend that. Also, if you are in New Orleans.....an AWESOME dinner spot is Muriels on the square. Check out their website...very tasty food. For breakfast I would recommend the Old Coffee Pot restaurant....right next door to Pat Obrien's. Best French toast in the WORLD. Not lying here......

frj1983,
Check and see if Elaine is working one of the coach cars and sit there.....she is amazing. Very attentive and I tipped her well, even though I never required anything and was only on her train for 2 hours. She is the one standing outside the car entrance at Hammond.

The bread pudding was pretty good, so I recommend that. Also, if you are in New Orleans.....an AWESOME dinner spot is Muriels on the square. Check out their website...very tasty food. For breakfast I would recommend the Old Coffee Pot restaurant....right next door to Pat Obrien's. Best French toast in the WORLD. Not lying here......
Funny,

I was just looking at Muriel's the other night! Thanks for the suggestions!

Very nice. I'm happy you had an enjoyable trip and happy you took the photos.

When is your next trip?

My next trip is April 5th...same route, but this time I go all the way into New Orleans to spend the night. A buddy of mine is going along with me. I am planning a Chicago trip (Jackson to Chicago) for late Spring to go up on the overnighter, watch a Cubs game, and then return that same day on another overnighter.

Then, I had this CRAZY idea. I can take the City of New Orleans to Chicago from Jackson, the Capitol LTD from Chi to DC, the Crescent from DC to New Orleans and come home on the City of New Orleans at the end. I would have to spend the night in New Orleans before my return home.....DARN! :D All other overnights would be done on the train with about 3 or 4 hours between connections at the stations. It could work......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back