My train trip is in 5 days!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

junebug

Lead Service Attendant
My sister and I will be on the Southwest Chief from Chicago to L.A., then the Coast Starlight from L.A. to San Jose. We have no sleeping car. And okay guys, no comments please, but I won't sleep in the lounge car or the observation car. Lesson learned ;)

I arrive in L.A. at 8:15 in the morning. I have to be on my connecting train by 10:10. I want to get a good breakfast. Is it worth the bother to take a cab to Phillipe's at 1001 N Alameda St.? Google Maps says Phillipe's is 7 minute walk from the station. My sister can't walk that far.

Do you have any other suggestions for breakfast that I have time to do? Anyplace decent in the station?

Any other tips or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Junebug

My sister and I will be on the Southwest Chief from Chicago to L.A., then the Coast Starlight from L.A. to San Jose. We have no sleeping car. And okay guys, no comments please, but I won't sleep in the lounge car or the observation car. Lesson learned ;)
I arrive in L.A. at 8:15 in the morning. I have to be on my connecting train by 10:10. I want to get a good breakfast. Is it worth the bother to take a cab to Phillipe's at 1001 N Alameda St.? Google Maps says Phillipe's is 7 minute walk from the station. My sister can't walk that far.

Do you have any other suggestions for breakfast that I have time to do? Anyplace decent in the station?

Any other tips or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Junebug
As was said, the SWC is usually Early into LAX, just be sure of your Time and that you can get back to union Station on time to board the Starlight!

Phillipes is Definitely worth the Cab ride although most Cabbies might not want such a Short Trip! You may want to go eat and , take your Sisters food back while she waits in the Beautiful Outside Gardens @ Union Station! WWeve done this several times for AUers that had Mobility Problems1the Junk Food in Union Station including StarYucks (pun intended ;) )is No Bueno and Overpriced!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good idea. I will leave my sister in the station. Maybe I should call Phillipe's from the train and have them make up sandwiches for me to take with for lunch too.

Oh yeah, isn't the garden a courtyard thing? I think I remember that.

When I have gone to LA on the Chief in the past, I've gone to that little Mexican area where the little outdoor shops are.

Jim Hudson and I have been to LAX. I too have mobility problems (I use a walker) but could easily go there, but I "forced" Jim to walk the 2 1/2 blocks to Phillipe's! :p I stayed at LAX and sat in the outdoor courtyard with the bags. (This also saved us paying $4 per bag - or whatever the fee is now - for them to hold our bags!) Jim brought back food for me to enjoy! :)

And you don't have to call. Just pick up when you get there.

Heh, you "forced" him? Meanie!! :)

Only 2.5 blocks? No problem.

I too have mobility problems. I have a bad back. But in preparation for this 10 day trip I got epidural steroid injections last month and this month. I feel great now, good to go.

The L.A. to San Jose part starts on the second row, 11th picture from the left.

I am taking the SWC and coast Starlight in November, but going all the way up to Portland. So make sure you write and let us know how it goes. Were you able to get lower level seats at all?

June we decided to stay on the upper level. I dunno, being with old farts even older than I am sounded really boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back