N.O. to Louisville, KY

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know the best train to take to get from New Orleans to Louisville, KY? I'm tentatively planning a 2 day trip to Louisville early next year. I checked the Amtrak site and it shows I would have to take the City of N.O. to Chicago and then take the train from there to Louisville, getting in in the middle of the night. Is there any other route to take?

Carol

Unfortunatley the Louisville Ky. area is no longer served directly by amtrak trains. The kentucky cardinal was discontinued after lack of ridership demand. You can take amtrak part of your journey though, and then use an amtrak thruway. You could take the city of new orleans to the chicago area(southern illinois if you dont want to go into the city) and then take a bus to Louisville. :(

It is such a shame that Amtrak discontinued that route.

If there had been Higher speeds, then it might Have worked.

It is such a shame that Amtrak discontinued that route.If there had been Higher speeds, then it might Have worked.
There were high speed electric trains (70 mph) running from Louisville to Indinapolis and on to Chicago and elswhere.....in the 1930's. America decided we liked gas guzzling automobiles better.

Unfortunatley the Louisville Ky. area is no longer served directly by amtrak trains. The kentucky cardinal was discontinued after lack of ridership demand. You can take amtrak part of your journey though, and then use an amtrak thruway. You could take the city of new orleans to the chicago area(southern illinois if you dont want to go into the city) and then take a bus to Louisville. :(
No, Amtrak screamed "Passengers Will Please Refrain" loud enough that they heard when they assigned the train a single defective short distance Horizon coach without any food service to a 12 hour+ overnight train!

Guys, this topic is 4 years old. Frankly I'm not quite sure why it's now back on the active topic list.

Since the price of fuel is higher now than ever before, why dont we have an AMTRAK station in Louisville KY?

The 17th largest city in the US and the fifth largest city without a passenger service.

I understand that the slow rail speed in 2003 was part of it but it is still easier to ride than drive and MUCH more comfortable than a Greyhound bus.

I would love to take a train to Seattle or Sacramento or New Orleans but the very idea of riding in a foreign owned Greyhound bus is apalling.

If the candidates really wanted to do something about the environment, or anything else related to travel they ought to fund the rail system.

US is the only major world power that does not have a decent passenger rail service.

Since the price of fuel is higher now than ever before, why don't we have an AMTRAK station in Louisville KY?
I live in KY, too, and would love to see Amtrak better serve our state.

But, it probably isn't going to happen. The tracks north of Louisville are terrible and not capable of handling Amtrak trains.

You can take the Amtrak connecting bus from Louisville to Indianapolis and catch the train there to Chicago. From there you can then go anywhere Amtrak goes. But, that's probably as good as its going to get.

Keep writing your elected officials. They're the ones that currently control the capital purse strings of AMTRAK-- it being owned by the Congress.

When you do, however, please consider the long-distance connections needed for any new routes or service. Several trains running a short-line, dead-end route are sad to see when AMTRAK has such need for equipment and personnel to run cross-country on its trunk line routes. Even if the short-hauls are packed, what can they connect with at the terminal that will absorb such volume? But, “they’re all going to the same (currently popular) destination.” What if that changes? And, should AMTRAK have thirty or more shops and administrations to service that many disconnected short-line AMTRAKS?

I know that many would like a new Southwind and/or Floridian to come through Louisville from Cincinnati through Nashville, Chattanooga and Atlanta to Jacksonville. I would too! But, it appears that CSX is too crowded on its “Dixie Line” to handle AMTRAK. The NS track through Lexington might be more favorable.

How about asking, for example, for a new Ponce de Leon and Royal Palm alternating every-other-day, coming off the Hoosier State and Cardinal at Cincinnati? (Bus connections at Lexington and even currently with Cincinnati are a mere, theoretical two-hour ride to Louisville with either.) It wouldn't hurt for one of those train consists to run as a new every-other-day Fast Flying Virginian alternating with the Cardinal east of Cincinnati-- merely (yeah, I know!) five cars for each. Of course, this is all if the Congress votes the funding-- given the current paradigm for AMTRAK financing.

Trains are for longer, especially overnight connections. Less distant stations such as Louisville may, regrettably, remain as bus connections with the longer strategic train routes unless we really return to all-stations rail passenger service. At least for now the strategic train routes should be well served.

I know that many would like a new Southwind and/or Floridian to come through Louisville from Cincinnati through Nashville, Chattanooga and Atlanta to Jacksonville. I would too! But, it appears that CSX is too crowded on its "Dixie Line" to handle AMTRAK. The NS track through Lexington might be more favorable.
Yep - I live very near Lexington and the NS route. The track is in very good shape from Cincinnati south and it is a straight shot to Knoxville. Don't know about south of there but there should be some good track going toward Atlanta, via Chattanooga.

But, every time I write my US representative and Senators I get the same canned letter back with a lot of words but saying nothing.

But, every time I write my US representative and Senators I get the same canned letter back with a lot of words but saying nothing

MrFSS

You might try making an appointment with one when you are in DC to speak face to face and hope for a better response.

The obvious choice is L&N's Pan American. Choice of sleeper accommodations, lounge, diner with convenient schedule.
Oh, this isn't 1954??
Problem is the middle of the night departure and 2:00 am chance of trains at Flomaton, Ala. I would recommend the Humming Bird. Dedicated bus connection out of Pensacola to Flomaton. Too bad about the 4:30am arrival in Louisville. This worked up until the mid 1960's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back