Name That Station!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AmtrakStation03_16_13.jpg
rusty, here's your picture. I don't know where it is, though.

I'm going to guess Lamar, CO...... looks like a photo taken from onboard #3.

My wife and I had supper in Lamar on a driving trip to the Grand Canyon and Durango & Silverton Railroad about 15 years ago. While we were there we stopped by to 'check out' the train station though we didn't wait around for Amtrak. The SWC was a couple of hours late that night.

If I recall, the station now serves as the town library and that does look like a book cart visible through the window.

You are correct. It is Lamar, CO, one of those stops on the endangered Raton pass route of the SWC, and this photo was taken from the SSL of #3.

Lamar_CO.jpg

Your turn.

Last edited by a moderator:
AmtrakStation03_16_13.jpg
rusty, here's your picture. I don't know where it is, though.

I'm going to guess Lamar, CO...... looks like a photo taken from onboard #3.

My wife and I had supper in Lamar on a driving trip to the Grand Canyon and Durango & Silverton Railroad about 15 years ago. While we were there we stopped by to 'check out' the train station though we didn't wait around for Amtrak. The SWC was a couple of hours late that night.

If I recall, the station now serves as the town library and that does look like a book cart visible through the window.
Hmmm....if that shot was a bit wider, I might have recognized that depot. Back in the '70's and '80's, I made several trips from Denver to Kansas City from there, connecting to No. 4, after riding a 4:00 PM Continental Trailways bus from Denver. In those years, Continental Trailways had very good service at Lamar....3 daily trips thru there on US287 from Denver to Amarillo, and 4 daily trips on US50 from Wichita to Pueblo.

Back then, there was an ATSF agent there. I used to get employee timetables from him.... :cool:

Let's see if I put 2 and 2 together with your hint to come up with Durham, NC.
Yessir! This building, a historic tobacco warehouse, is now the Amtrak Station serving 6 trains a day in Durham, NC.

I'll include a link with more images of this remarkable conversion should anyone be interested....... and the hint referenced was to the minor league baseball Durham Bulls...... or possibly to the old Bull Durham Tobacco which may have been stored in this very warehouse.

http://www.trainweb.org/usarail/durham.htm

Your turn JayPea!

Last edited by a moderator:
This station Amtrak still uses, got there today just before they put the curtains up to close off the center of the hall for an event. I couldn't believe what a ghem it is:

guess-m-20.JPG

Back