Name That Station!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's another easy one.

This was taken before Amtrak days, but the station is still used by Amtrak today.

I took this picture about 1957.

i-wRGVBpw-L.jpg

It would be hard to recognize the place today since all but one of the platforms are gone BUT behind the tail sign and up a bit that looks like the half-dome roof at Cincinnati Union Terminal.....

And of course only the sometimes late eastbound Amtrak passenger would ever see this in the daylight!

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be hard to recognize the place today since all but one of the platforms are gone BUT behind the tail sign and up a bit that looks like the half-dome roof at Cincinnati Union Terminal.....

And of course only the sometimes late eastbound Amtrak passenger would ever see this in the daylight!
You got it - one of my favorite places to hangout and take pictures in the 1950's when anyone could walk anywhere in the yards without being bothered.

Here we go - Let's see if anyone can get this one without any clues - This station is active today.

Personally, I think that this one is fairly easy and that someone with sharp eyes will get it right away!

184833_4577385228911_1277790346_n.jpg

Not Forsyth. The BN freight is eastbound. I will be in internet free land tomorro, so to speed up the process: a few hints:

Through cars for the North Coast Hiawath stopped here, but the train itself was never scheduled on this route.

There is an active passenger rail station (not Amtrak) less than a mile from this location.

LWB

East Auburn? Based on the schedule I found, the only places on the route with non-Amtrak passenger rail would be Metra (Chicago), Metro Transit/Northstar (Minneapolis), and the Sounder service (Seattle). No change seems to be made until Minneapolis, and unless there was an unknown stop between MSP and Willmar, the Northstar doesn't get anywhere close to a stop at that change.

Jebr you are correct. The Sounder station is on the Seattle to Portland route. Freight 174 pictured is pulling out of the Auburn yard, around the wye, and heading toward Yakima.

Your turn.

LWB

Looks like Newport News, VA.

I used to catch the train there when I was training at the Armed Forces School of Music (Army Bandsman) at the Naval Amphibious Base in Little Creek, VA.

Raleigh is correct....... I thought the station sign was too blurry to be read. Guess it's time for new glasses here.

Interestingly, plans are on the table (and Federal Funding awarded) to convert that large white warehouse visible on the right side of the photograph into the new 'Raleigh Union Station'. Here;s the rendering of what it may look like -

UnionStationBuildingRendering.jpg

It's your serve Jersey42!

The sign was blurry, but I picked out the NC and I thought I had the R in Raleigh.

Here is another one, Not sure if it is easy or hard?

be5ff37f639f3adc96e38543f079754e.jpg

That was quick and correct. It is a pretty unique looking station, so I guess it was really easy.

You are up SubwayNut.

Back