Name That Station!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No not Iowa City, Here is an arrival.

NdeM6320_zps371066ba.jpg

14 passenger trains every day, but no passenger trains now. The city has the same name as it's state.

LWB
Well THAT narrows it down to an even twelve options............. :)
I doubt very many of those towns had 14 trains a day in 1973. the express trains ran at night on reletively slow schedules. Each night five passenger trains met five passenger trains on the 100 kms of single track CTC west of this station.

No not Chihuahua, but that is a good guess. Train 13 pictured above is on it's way to Chihuahua. Can you imagine two days and one night in an old NYC commuter coach?

name='Shanghai' timestamp='1357039859' post='413898']Puebla, Mexico?

[/b]
Another excellent guess, but not correct. This station once served even more trains untill a bypass was built to the east that shortenned the route from Mexico City to Monterey.

The branch riunning west from Durango to Aserraderos didn't meet the 100 km or 14 passenger train criteria. The 1970's NdeM maps showed a projected route to connect that branch to Mazatlan, but it was never built. The short answer is: it is not Durango.

In 1973 the mixto from Irapuato to Guanajuato handled a through 10&6 sleeper from Mexico City that passed by the station in question. In fact the all sleeper train from Mexico City to Guadalajara ran in two sections. Here it is in 1983 when it was running in one section and no longer all sleeper.

Where else could you ride the 20th Century Limited, Eagle, Azteca, Cities Streamliners, and California Zephur all on one train?

NdeM6-6-7-83a_zps9efd0ba7.jpg

As I am off to internet free N. Idaho, and we don't seem to have a match between those who know the answer and those who have pictures to post, I will give it away! (Not that the answer can't be deduced from a road map now.) Drumroll please:

Queretaro, QRO The station still exists according to the Google satelite view.

Anouther view from the next to last car on no. 6 El Tapiatio southbound climbing towards the Valley of Mexico.

NdeM6-6-7-83_zpsc15d7a46.jpg

Back