Name That Station!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No on Glendale and no on St. Louis...... but both reasonable guesses based on the clues so far.

Here's one more clue - In January 1979 all four of the trains which stopped at this station had sleeping cars in the consist. Now, only two of the trains (one in each direction) serving this city at a different station carry sleepers.

The platform looks like Oakland and the interior of the depot looks like an SP box ala San Jose, Salem, Sacramento, but I thought Oakland was condemmed after the eathquake ruling out the still in use clue. Fort worth hasn't moved two miles, more like two blocks. I will take a wild guess: Oxnard with the second sleeper train being the Spirit of California (MedFlyer).

The platform looks like Oakland and the interior of the depot looks like an SP box ala San Jose, Salem, Sacramento, but I thought Oakland was condemmed after the eathquake ruling out the still in use clue. Fort worth hasn't moved two miles, more like two blocks. I will take a wild guess: Oxnard with the second sleeper train being the Spirit of California (MedFlyer).
But the Spirit of California didn't run in 1979.

Correct Mr. TCRT! This is Raleigh, NC and it is your turn to post a station picture.

The building now houses 'Logan's Trading Post' which deals in landscaping and gardening supplies. The last time I was there they even had a trendy little coffee shop in the station's old sandwich shop. The two trains when I took these photos in January 1979 were the 'Silver Star' and the 'Champion'. The 'Champion' was discontinued in October 1979 and Amtrak relocated to the 'newer' former Southern Railway station in 1987 when CSX severed the old Seaboard main line north of Norlina, NC. Now, in addition to the 'Silver Star', Raleigh is served by the NC supported 'Carolinian' and two daily 'Piedmonts'.

There was great speculation overnight everyone - I was not surprised to see the 'Spirit of California' and Oakland mentioned as clearly this station would need to be located in a state that subsidizes passenger service. The guess of Ft. Worth was unexpected but still pretty logical considering the 'Lone Star' and 'Inter-American'.

Here are another couple photos taken at Raleigh's old Seaboard passenger station - both would likely have been 'easier' than the interior photo I started with...... particularly the one with the station name sign visible!

0077-M.jpg

0131-L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a former station with a similar story to Notelvis's most recent post (and my apologies if this one has already been posted, especially as it's not very nice to look at...).

8355191680_e4e1cf27d4.jpg

A couple of hints about this station:

- Amtrak still serves this town, but at a separate (and newer) station.

- This town now has more Amtrak service than it ever has previously.

Sorry, but it's not in WA and it's not Alliance.

Hint #2: This station received two trains per day. The new station gets more than that.

Back